Slimline HID Ballasts -now fitted in Headlight

Woorlord

shifting to Hyperspace... .
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Anybody wanting to fit HID's may want to consider the newer Digital Slimline Ballasts that "quattroJames" put me onto in his thread - quattrojames thread

The Slimline HID kit used was off Ebay - LINK

Before with standard size Ballasts I had.....
00-Original_HID_small.jpg

And now I have everything self-contained within the Headlight assembly - with nothing hanging out!

What I did...........

1. New Slimline Ballast on a custom mounting plate I made - primed and painted:

01-New%20Ballast.jpg

2. Did not use the waterproof connector for 12v connection as this will be in the headlight assembly - made up a custom connection using standard mini-crimp connectors. Also earthed the Ballast casing with an additional earth wire as it seems to be floating.
02-Wires.jpg

3. This was the hardest part - getting the cables from the Ballast into the light assembly. I assume this part is normally cut out for factory fit OEM Ballasts. Anyway decided on a 40mm hole cutter located as shown. (Be careful as drill center will hit the back of the light reflector - but disconnect the motor actuator under the other access panel and this gives more internal clearance for the drill with the reflectors moved out the way.
Also place a plastic bag inside the headlight assembly to catch any plastic swarf from hole cutting. Have a vacuum cleaner hose to hand to remove any stray swarf as you cut the 40mm hole - it's a pain to remove if it falls into the headlight assembly owing to static from the various internal plastic parts!!
03-Drilled%20Hole.jpg

4. Hole from inside.....
04-Drilled%20Hole.jpg

5. Put two layers of bathroom silicon sealant around the rim of the plate recess and let it set for 24 hours. This acts as a waterproof seal between the plate and the light assembly.
05-Silicone%20Sealant.jpg

6. Passed the HV unit and 12v connector through the 40 mm hole and mounted the Ballast plate with self tapping screws.
06-Mounted%20Plate.jpg

7. Stuck the HV unit down with a couple of double sided sticky pads and made 12v connections with standard male flat spade connectors into Audi connector. HID bulb mounted and HT connections made.
07-New%20Insidet.jpg

Repeated for other light and remounted to car - That's It All Done :moa:

Reactions: JuanMadera
Good job, great pictures too. Mine are still loosely attached to various parts in the engine bay using cable ties.

Top job, very neat installation :salute:

Luckily one of mine is hidden under my new cover, I had only just had the lights adjusted again after having the front off the car when my original ballast failed so I don't want to take the headlights out again!

Top Job there. Cant believe how much smaller them ballast's are..

Great install guide Woorlord. I did this with mine too, always meant to put a write up on though :ermm:. No need to now, thanks to you :applaus: Your install is a tad neater too. I used some all CD cases trimmed down and stuck to the underside of the headlight housing same place as you did but with no more nails, lol. This is a really neat solution IMO and as you say, it's where the OEM ballasts sit, so works really well and easy to contain everything when removing headlights.

I'd just add that people following suit should be careful when cutting the hole that they don't get too many shards of black plastic floating around in the headlight - it was a right pain for me to clean once I'd realised.

Cracking job :salute:

Reactions: Cobra88
I'd just add that people following suit should be careful when cutting the hole that they don't get too many shards of black plastic floating around in the headlight - it was a right pain for me to clean once I'd realised.

Tesco's carrier bag stuffed inside the light assembly and a vacuum cleaner hose close to hand - and basically very careful when drilling the 40mm hole. This was the hardest part!

Have only spotted one tiny piece of swarf in n/s light - nothing to worry about.

HV WARNING Signs:

Just to finish this project off, now after some small "High Voltage" Warning Triangles to stick on back of light cover which are not to big. The space available on the access cover is only 44mm x 44mm, and the sign I was after was something like one of these.........

Danger%20HV.gif
Danger%20ROES.gif

But these are too big at 50mm x 50mm.
Labelsources Link

May have to settle for these which are 30mm x 33mm....
Link to TLC
Yellow%20Triangle%20Flash.JPG

Anybody got any other sources for similar labels no larger than 44mm x 44mm ??

Are these things legal without the auto-levelling devices fitted OE?

I'm seeing more and more of these after market devices fitted to older golfs, corsas and 206s (virutally anything) by the 'boy-racer' community and they are ****** annoying. I'm not sure if I have more sensitive eyes than the rest of the population but I can always tell the HID fitted cars because it usually results in me being temporarily blinded as they approach. They will usually get a good dose of my high-beams in return.

People seem to have it in their heads that the brighter, the better, forgetting that it's probably better that the person driving towards you at 60mph can see where they are going!

Not directed at anyone in this thread, just an observation.

Well the M.O.T testers should be failing people if they are incorrectly aligned or the car isn't suitable for them to be fitted safely.

More of an annoyance to me are people carriers X5, Q7 etc etc they are so high up that they are blinding everyone

Are these things legal without the auto-levelling devices fitted OE?

This has been covered lots and lots of times, what you are saying is correct, however our A4's have ellipsoidal headlights, so as long as the alignment is correct (which applies to halogen lights too) you will NOT dazzle anyone. The chav brigade fitting xenon bulbs to standard reflector headlights are the ones you are referring to ;)

I have been asked for a connection diagram for my Slimline Ballast retrofit, so here it is......

08-HID%20Connections.jpg

Great write up woorlord, thanks. I followed your suggestions on installation with the ones I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....552757&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_6382wt_941

I even managed to squeeze in the decoders which came with it.

As neat and tidy as the plate you fabricated is, are you not concerned about overheating of the ballasts?

I decided it'd be better to leave it open to air. I stuck the ballasts in to the headlight case with a 6mm adhesive pad, normally used for number plates from Halfords. This way its not sitting on the headlamp support, so is protected from any water which may (unlikely) ingress that far back (plus they're waterproof anyway). The 6mm pad will act like a bit of a shock absorber too as it wont be touching anything hard. Lastly, there will still be ventilation, whilst remaining out of sight.

They all work well, plus I have auto lights and it works fine with them.

Fantastic mod, and highly recommended.

:
As neat and tidy as the plate you fabricated is, are you not concerned about overheating of the ballasts?
:

Was not really concerned about heat from the ballasts - not really noticed any significant heat during testing, and also the mounting plate acts as a heatsink to dissipate the heat further.

Thanks for your comments.

Also worth noting the OEM ones fit in the same place and they have no problems.

Nice neat job Woorlord.

wish my install was that good...
my ballasts are just slightly too thick to put at plate over, but they are in the same place.
Just wish i could stop these ****** ABS warnings!

:
Just wish i could stop these ****** ABS warnings!
:

Where possible re-route the Crash sensor loom away from the HID ballast and HT cables where possible. When I changed my bumper I had ABS warnings on the DIS every time I switched on, although none before changing the bumper. All I can think is as the headlights were taken out, cable routes may have slightly changed. The crash sensors are either side of the radiator - small metal box.

The crash sensor cables are meant to be "screened", so this would suggest they are susceptible to RF interference??

Also worth noting the OEM ones fit in the same place and they have no problems.

Agree, thats the best place for them, but do OEM ones have a plate over them?

I think the passive cooling running over the top of the ballast would help it...

17575_261922705394_587685394_4965938_114463_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hey All,

Just about to purchase an HID kit... Can someone just confirm that this kit will be ok?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310208097784&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks a lot.

I don't know about that kit but I know this seller: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230355552757&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT does a good kit, I bought mine from them and I have had no problems for several months. Make sure you get the error canceller.

cheers guys, will get this ordered up tomorrow. Need to get my first mod on the car!

I've also found these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H7-6000K-HID-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20af53a2a7

These are saying that they are 100% Canbus compatibile.

Think i'll go with these! :) Will let you know.
G.

Note: These are the LARGE Ballasts and not the newer "Slimline" ones - note the connectors on the actual ballast unit!

Advice for all units: "CAN-BUS compatible" should mean no Bulb Warning error messages on the DIS - they could still however interfere with the crash sensors at switch on which would give you DIS "BRAKE" errors. There are many threads on this site covering these errors.

Note: These are the LARGE Ballasts and not the newer "Slimline" ones - note the connectors on the actual ballast unit!

Advice for all units: "CAN-BUS compatible" should mean no Bulb Warning error messages on the DIS - they could still however interfere with the crash sensors at switch on which would give you DIS "BRAKE" errors. There are many threads on this site covering these errors.

Now you have me worried. I think i might just go to halfords and buy normal bulbs...

Actually... after reading this im not giving up just yet...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...fter-xenon-install-help&highlight=Xenon+Error

Will go ahead and order the slimline ones and see what happens! Im sure there will be problems!

Last edited:
The kit arrived this morning - all look slike good stuff. Going to attempt to fit them on Sunday

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

Very tidy job there Woorlord. I might do something like this myself as I have the slimline ballasts in mine. I just stuffed them at the back of my air filter and washer bottle against the padded heat shield right at the back of my engine bay, which is a bit of a shame seeing as there's room for them up front like you've done. I love finding little mods like this that anybody can do with a bit of thought!

Where are you planning on mounting the ballasts?

Not too sure yet, dont really know what it looks like in there... will know more on sunday!
Hopefully its an easy job, but i think it might take me a while. :D

Finally got these fitted today, it has been a mission... Still not 100% happy, few little things to finsih off but they are in and working.

Does anyone know why the lights take a second longer to turn off? also when i lock the car the hazard button stays lite up for a few seconds. Apart from that they seem fine...

any help would be great

few pics so far:

I used perspex to hold them in.

CIMG0543.jpg

CIMG0545.jpg

Bright!

CIMG0546.jpg

CIMG0547.jpg

Glad you got them fitted at last :)

Do you mean the hazard warning switch stays illuminated? It typically stays on for about 30 seconds while the car powers down fully and the alarm arms itself. That now new, I assume its always done it?

I've not noticed my HID's taking longer to turn off, they're off instantly. But I imagine it would be because the ballast will store power for a short period of time after its de-energized.

Glad you got them fitted at last :)

Do you mean the hazard warning switch stays illuminated? It typically stays on for about 30 seconds while the car powers down fully and the alarm arms itself. That now new, I assume its always done it?

I've not noticed my HID's taking longer to turn off, they're off instantly. But I imagine it would be because the ballast will store power for a short period of time after its de-energized.

Yeah finally fitted, they look really good. Very happy with this mod :D

Its funny what you dont notice until you worry that something is going wrong, I never noticed the Hazard switch before but that makes sense. Thanks.

The HID lights turn off, but ithe dash lights take a about a 2 seconds longer to turn off.

Thanks for everyones help. Hopefully that nothing will melt and they will be ok!

Sorry to be a pain, but if your ballast is fitted below the head lamp, how have you sealed up the connection back to the wiring loom? I cannot see the standard plug in your pics.

Matt

It's all inside. It will make sense 100% when you take the back cover off the lights.

I thought the same, the 2 little pins go into the standard light fitting...

IMG_0381.jpg

hi
i was wondering if anybody can help,iv jus got new a3 on a 10 plate it has xenon headlights as standard with drl im after upgrading to 8000k lights got told i need to just get a d3s bulb i cant find any uk suppliers with this can anybody help please

thanks asad

I don't suppose anyone has measurements for the plates to put in underneath to seal the ballasts in? It would be handy if I could do them in advance before taking the headlights out. I'll most likely be taking them out outside in sub zero temperatures and doing the cutting etc in my flat since I don't have a garage just now.

Yeah i was about to ask the same question.
Pic says 30 and 22mm or should it be cm?
Mr. Woorlord, would you be so kind to help us out here? :readit:

For all you lazy bods out there who do not posses a ruler here are the plate dimensions I have measured that should fit the OEM recess. Note that the actual recess is 136mm x 93mm, so the plate should fit if cut to 135mm x 92mm. I have also measured the position of the holes which should also line up - but may need a little fine tuning!

I have taken these measurements from a broken headlight I have lying around my garage - these are not from the plates I made myself previously but probably not far off.

HID%20Plate.jpg

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah i was about to ask the same question.
Pic says 30 and 22mm or should it be cm?
Mr. Woorlord, would you be so kind to help us out here? :readit:

That's the location of the hole centre for the cable feed into the light internal!
30mm and 22mm from the recess edge.