Slight pause at redline before shifting

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
I've noticed this happen when using the kickdown feature in 1st or 2nd gear in my S3.

It doesn't seem to want to shift immediately after reaching the redline. Instead it stays there for a fraction of a second before shifting up.

Anyone have the same experience? What could be the issue?

i noticed the same the other day, it too was after a kick down 2nd to 3rd gear change, it was almost as if it had bounced off a limiter for a second before taking the next gear. I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong but I'm sure i have heard the rs3 sound like it taps the limiter a few times between changes in certain gears?

i noticed the same the other day, it too was after a kick down 2nd to 3rd gear change, it was almost as if it had bounced off a limiter for a second before taking the next gear. I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong but I'm sure i have heard the rs3 sound like it taps the limiter a few times between changes in certain gears?

Makes sense to I think - perhaps it thinks the wheels are spinning so holds the revs up for a bit before changing? My theory.

Reactions: drummerdimitri
Annoys the **** out of me and still does it with a gearbox map!

I tend to reserve the kick down "button" for lazy driving, as opposed to "active driving".
Kicking-down won't give you the "fastest" changes, which you would need for a quick overtake.

Pre-selecting the gear with the paddles is the "best" way to anticipate an overtake.

You can mash the throttle into the kickdown switch, but I find on the S3 and RS3 this kicksdown into too low a gear, then its almost immediately in the red line, and has to change up.

Or if you push the throttle 100% but not activate the switch, the priority of the DSG box is to give you the smoothest change (not the fastest), so will "slip" the clutches, so sounds like the change is delayed. But if you watch the speedo, the speed will actually be increasing, it will just sound like its not going anywhere.

By far the best way is to pre-select the gear you want to overtake in, using the paddles or the stick.

Another tip for the "quickest changes":
To ensure a quick upshift - pull the RHS paddle WHIILST accelerating
To ensure a quick downshift - pull the LHS paddle WHILST decelerating, foot OFF the throttle.
This will give the "quickest" shifts.

If you try and downshift while accelerating, the DSG will have already preselected a higher gear, so will have to undo that to give you a lower gear.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-manual-or-s-tronic.247746/

Reactions: Ignition1, xBox and Wondering Soul
I've noticed in mine if I take my foot off whilst approaching a roundabout and drop down to 2nd using the paddle, it will sometimes fail to engage the gear, so when i give it some gas, it acts like its in neutral and stutters.

Reactions: Holtt and Rob2k68
I've been told to turn traction control off as that might be what is causing the slight hesitation at redline.

Will stop using the kickdown feature and use the paddles instead to see if it makes any difference.

I've been told to turn traction control off as that might be what is causing the slight hesitation at redline.

Will stop using the kickdown feature and use the paddles instead to see if it makes any difference.

makes no difference... i know since mine is off all the time!

Dan, how does the car behave with TC off, I've not tried a full-on drive with either of my S3s - more tail-happy, tricker??

Indeed it is more tail happy, other than that it feels the same.

Reactions: batch
Perhaps just how S-Tronic handles it? Perhaps it needs to spin the next gear up so to prepare it for the incoming power?

I love S-Tronic but the more I use it the more flaws I seem to find. Some examples -

- The red-line thing (not personally experienced it - but it is a problem)

- Slow throttle response (literally dangerous at times - I press the pedal and nothing happens, then suddenly I lurge forward. Lots of close calls at busy roundabouts because of that...especially when I forget to downshift or throw it into S).

- The other day I felt like the clutch was slipping. For the first 20 mins of drive it was me and the wife...all was fine...then we picked up 3 adults in the back and driving away it felt very hesitant and was definitely slipping - after 5 minutes or so it seemed to adjust and sort itself out. Very odd.

Personally, I think the S3 looses a little puff at the top end, so need to get into the habit of paddling rather than letting it bounce of the limiter :sign ban:

Ive had this too, never had it on my GTI though with same gearbox.. Maybe its because the car reaches the limiter before the gearbox was expecting.

Cheers Dan, time to grow up a little then for me I think! You can find me backwards through the nearest hedge from tonight!

Don't turn it off completely, just put it into sport mode. This way, TC is backed off, it will allow more slip and wheel spin, but ESP will still rescue you when the car gets badly out of shape.

(disclaimer: To an extent. It can't overcome physics)

Reactions: lucas-suisse
Don't turn it off completely, just put it into sport mode. This way, TC is backed off, it will allow more slip and wheel spin, but ESP will still rescue you when the car gets badly out of shape.

(disclaimer: To an extent. It can't overcome physics)
Cheers Veeeight - I guess that's just a quick push of the button? Sounds like exactly what I want, hopefully make it a little more playful!

Yes
press for 1-2 secs for ESP Sport
press and hold longer for ESP Off

It will tell you in the DIS which mode it's in.
Good Luck! :D

Reactions: ash-s3-8p and xBox
Yes
press for 1-2 secs for ESP Sport
press and hold longer for ESP Off

It will tell you in the DIS which mode it's in.
Good Luck! :D

I did not know that - thanks :)

Reactions: veeeight