....slight discharge?

S3fan

Kiteyboy
Reaction score
Let me set the scene....2002 S3, 60,000 miles, weekend car for me, done 6,000 miles in last year, might not use it for a couple of weeks at a time.

Bought S3 in Sep 06, replaced battery in Mar 07. Replaced battery again in Nov 08 (13,000 miles). Replaced it the second time due to it being flat when I went to start it numerous times, and after numerous jump starts the battery needed replacing. Before I replaced it, Jon at VAGTech checked out the electrics to see if anything was draining the battery, but all was ok. So we replaced it, and now it was dead again when I started it this morning (last used 2 weeks ago).

Does this now point to the alternator, i.e. not getting enough charge when using it? If I use it every weekend, I don't have any problems.

If so, how much am I looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Must be the time of the month, if you are reffering to the discharge. :)

I was having the same problems with mine due to lack of use, what type of battery are you using? I've now got a Lithium battery I think installed, seems to allow me to park up for a month and it will still start! But I did have to replace it after 8 months under warranty as it wasn't holding charge.

mine also did this , ive just had a new bosch silver replaced free of charge after 18months. I also only do low miles 3k ish and the car is often stood for 2 weeks at a time.

no...how would that be done?

easiest way mate is with a volt meter,whilst the car is running check across both battery terminals you should be looking for 13-14 volts id say nearer to 14, anything less i would look at the alternator as its not enought to keep the battery charged.