Slave or Master Cylinder???

landopanda

Reaction score
Initially I thought that my slave cyl was gone, but now the garage are unsure if it is this or the master cyl. Got in my car to drive and the clutch pedal was on the floor and could not get it into gear. However if I left the car to warm up the clutch would come back and I could drive, and after a while of driving it would be fine. This went on for a week or so till i could get to the garage but getting gradually worse. Anyway friday come to take the car to the garage and it wouldn't go into gear at all even when warm, so started it in first but the breaks had become really hard and wouldn't stop the car. After pumping them for a while they worked again and i managed to get it to the garage (2miles) does anyone have any ideas what the problem is??? please...
Its a 2001 S3

I've had my clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder both replaced at different times.

They both exhibited the same problems your describing.

Sorry, can't be more help !

I would of thought a mechanic who knows what there looking for could tell you tbh.

If not then start with the master cylinder, its alot cheaper.

had the same problem as you mate, cant remembar if it was the master or cylinder but my dads mate done it for £100 so im thinkin it was the master considering I've heard the slave is very exspensive but now my clutch is going again, same problems as before but my clutch can work from cold start now and then but when driving hard or racing someone after a hard gear change the pedal doesnt want to come back up and have to press wots left of the pedal a few times to get it to come back up.

We have had both go and they exibit much the same symtoms, except when the slave went it had fluid pooring out of the bottom of the gearbox/engine join. The master cylinder is £50 ish and quite easy to fit, the slave is £30 but 8hrs labour,lol

Thanks guys, there has not been any fluid loss so I'm thinking perhaps (hopefully) it is the master cylinder....