Sky Insurance and Admiral Insurance

s3_trev

Northern Ireland
Reaction score
So, that time of year to get a renewal quote. Sky and Admiral were two companies that I was holding out a lot of hope in.

Long story short;

Sky dont cover NI (even though its part of the UK but hey)
Admiral don't cover engine remaps (or so the guy on the phone says)

Not a great start.

Insurers, got to be one of the most underwhelming services to pay money for that exists today.

I used the big comparison sites to input my details as with mods it returned quotes from only companies that cover them. Far less than I thought there may be, and a lot of the recognised established ones don't do mods. Not really any stand out companies, just watch out for the cover on offer, what's included (e.g. Hire car & no. of days, key cover, windscreen cover, overseas cover etc.). Right mixed bag so keep wits about you!

Reactions: s3_trev
Hmmmm....... strange Admiral saying they don't cover re-maps ???

When i had the S3 with Bluefin on it they were fine covering it as long as its not more than 25% extra BHP.

Hmmmm....... strange Admiral saying they don't cover re-maps ???

When i had the S3 with Bluefin on it they were fine covering it as long as its not more than 25% extra BHP.

Yep and Im pretty sure I heard of others saying the same. The guy said, and I quote "We can insure a chip in the engine but we cant insure a remap". Wtf is that all about? Unless its the Northern Ireland thing, and they can insure remapped cars in the mainland UK.

You should give us a call - we can insure NI and remaps are no issue as long as the bhp increase is less than 100 over stock.

Hi Chris. Thank you for commenting. I certainly will give you a call! And I can confirm the BHP increase is less than 100 over stock so no issues there. Thanks.

You dodged a bullet with Admiral, they are a bunch of useless monkeys, and that's me being nice. Cheap cover does not mean good cover.

Chris Knott above I have not dealt with personally but know a few of the RS boys that use them and only heard good things. I have done well with Herts Insurance Consultants who didn't bat an eyelid at covering my modified A4 as a daily with business use and my tiny little SP50. They were exceedgly helpful when I was thinking of adding a TT to my collection and didn't try to pull my pants down.

Reactions: DieselJake
Whoops, forgot to update this. Called Chris Knotts and the guy was super friendly. Basically they could not give me a quote over the phone, because I didnt give them a figure to beat. Yep how stupid is that, but alas that is the game we play with car insurance. Anyway I have got the guys direct phone number to ring and I have not rang him back yet, as my current insurance company have given me quite an excellent quote for a renewal, with all mods declared. So good I cant see Chris Knott beating it to be honest.

I really don't get companies like that, if you want me to phone one company, give all the details, get a quote, then phone you, go through all the details again just for you to match his price, well I'm going to go with the guy that gave the decent price first.
Can't you just be a bit better than most of the insurance companies and just use logic and sense?

I'm having a nightmare swapping cars on my insurance with Prestige at the moment (£200 cancellation fee!) so insurance companies aren't my favourite people right now.

Chris Knott beat my renewal cost by £310, which was cheaper than what I was already paying, and kept me with the same insurance company.

Seriously, give them a call.

Reactions: ChrisKnottIns
Had my Audi (mapped 233-270bhp) with Elephant and just moved over to a 3 car multi policy with Admiral (same company) who know about the map.
Price was very competitive but luckily I've not had any claims so can't comment on their after sales.

Well just to give an update. I called Chris Knott back and the guy tried but he was just honest and told me he couldnt beat it. Which is totally fine as I know my renewal this year is very competitive. I would def call them in the future however, very nice to deal with.

Reactions: ChrisKnottIns and jojo