Sky+ Hard drive upgrade

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Just upgraded my old 20GB DRX180 Sky+ box. Absolute piece of ****.
I now have a Samsung 250GB drive FDB installed (£45 delivered from dabs.com), over 200 hours of space and much quieter thanks to the Fluid Dynamic Bearing on these drives.
Installation is so easy, took me 10 minutes, no PC needed or anything. This site is very helpful:
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/jerome/sky+hdupgrade.htm

AndyMac said:
Just upgraded my old 20GB DRX180 Sky+ box. Absolute piece of ****.
I now have a Samsung 250GB drive FDB installed (£45 delivered from dabs.com), over 200 hours of space and much quieter thanks to the Fluid Dynamic Bearing on these drives.
Installation is so easy, took me 10 minutes, no PC needed or anything. This site is very helpful:
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/jerome/sky+hdupgrade.htm

What about the warranty? I understood that you couldn't swap out the HDD withou breaking a seal that said 'warranty void etc'?

rowansbank said:
What about the warranty? I understood that you couldn't swap out the HDD withou breaking a seal that said 'warranty void etc'?

Whoops - misread your post :asskicking: - thought it was a Sky HD unit! Done it myself on a Sky Plus and if I can do it anybody can!

There's no seal on the non HD boxes, my warranty ran out a long time ago.

There's no seal on the non HD boxes, my warranty ran out a long time ago
Yup - as i said "Whoops - misread your post - thought it was a Sky HD unit!"

Why worry about the warranty anyway, when the only other option is to buy a new box from sky?

gonna have to do this on the HD box soon... The hard drive in the HD box is useless for recording more than about 13 hours of HD!!! It's suprising how quickly it fills up..

Why worry about the warranty anyway, when the only other option is to buy a new box from sky?

Well I have heard that some devious types will swap out the larger HDD and put back the original before calling Sky for a repair or replacement - which, last time I did it :icon_thumright: cost just 50 squid for a new box! Can't do this with Sky HD box cos there's a seal over one of the screws that has to be removed to access the HDD.

On the Sky+ box, I've noticed the USB port on the front. Is it possible to copy recorded programs via this port to a memory stick or USB HDD?

My Sky+ box sometimes stays running even when its turned off (red light showing) what a pain in the ***!

I just put a 1TB SATA disk into my Sky HD box, what warranty?

That's the way to do it! What brand did you use? No noise issues?

The only 1TB disk is the Hitachi Deathstar, you can use the tools to make it acoustally acceptable, but as mine is remote from the lounge, it was not an issue.

i have regular sky digital in my bedroom and sky+ downstairs. would it be possible to replace my sky digital box for a Sky+ box? (so id have sky+ upstairs and downstairs)

cheers fellas

bena3turbo said:
i have regular sky digital in my bedroom and sky+ downstairs. would it be possible to replace my sky digital box for a Sky+ box? (so id have sky+ upstairs and downstairs)

cheers fellas

yeah it is but you'll have to have a 2nd cable run to your bedroom from the dish like your main room and a double bonus is your subscription wont be upped but you'll have to buy the box

Should work but you'll only have one LNB input unless you run a new cable, so you couldn't watch one channel while recording another, but no big deal you can still pause/rewind etc.

well my new hard drive arrived today thanks andy, and all done really easy to do even for a novice!

Any links for upgrading my HD box?... or a way of reclaiming the space reserved for anytime-TV?