Single / Twin Coil

CSS3

Reaction score
Just wondered whether the 1.8T AGU had a twin or single coil ?

You may want to be a little less cryptic in your posts..

If you are on about ignition it has one coil per cylinder but uses a separate ignition amp..

<tuffty/>

You may want to be a little less cryptic in your posts..

If you are on about ignition it has one coil per cylinder but uses a separate ignition amp..

<tuffty/>

I think that answers my question, thank you.

It's for a soft cut limiter I've ordered, just wanted to double check.

A generic one?... hope the ECU will be happy with it then... VAG ecu's don't generally work well with kit that takes control away from it

<tuffty/>

A generic one?... hope the ECU will be happy with it then... VAG ecu's don't generally work well with kit that takes control away from it

<tuffty/>

Yeah an Omex Limiter is what I've ordered, only to test out what it's like really.
Would of gone for a Bee R limiter, but didn't quite have enough funds for that.

Planning for a proper map after the new year.

The ECU has a rev limiter built in? seems a waste of money tome tbh

<tuffty/>

Probably to cut the spark so it still injects fuel so then he can flame out maccies car park

Reactions: Alex C and superkarl
I've seen a few skylines with Bee R limiters - they shoot some nice flames :p

Reactions: CSS3
And we all know that Jap stuff have particularly dumb ECU's... not that the ME3.8 on the AGU is smart but smarter than most Jap stuff..

I seem to recall this coming up before and a previous member tried to use one before and it didn't work well..

Its only money after all :)

<tuffty/>

And we all know that Jap stuff have particularly dumb ECU's... not that the ME3.8 on the AGU is smart but smarter than most Jap stuff..

I seem to recall this coming up before and a previous member tried to use one before and it didn't work well..

Its only money after all :)

<tuffty/>

Trial and error I suppose. It's not something I'm looking to abuse, just a bit of fun. Everyone has their own taste I suppose ?

I don't understand how it would affect the rods?

Was thinking along the lines of chucking in loads of fuel constantly resulting in bangs and flames kind of like a launch control type thing cant do it much good I may be wrong

Was thinking along the lines of chucking in loads of fuel constantly resulting in bangs and flames kind of like a launch control type thing cant do it much good I may be wrong

hmm fair enough, as far as I know the fuel doesn't ignite in the cylinder it just catches fire when it touches the hot exhaust

My Omex Revlimiter Clubman with Launch Control arrived today, I'm looking to wire it straight up to the coilpack like it says on the instructions. Does anyone know where to locate the correct wires for the negative on the coil ?

Last edited:
There are 4 individual coils dude... pretty sure this won't work...

From what I can make out the unit is designed for dual input coil packs like this...

Coilpack

...not coil on plug setups like the VAG...

From the following AGU wiring diagrams it looks like the ECU uses all four out puts and not two as the coil pack above uses so I suspect the kit you bought won't work.

Coilpack3

J220 is the ECU... there are 4 outputs going to N122 which is the ignition amp... this then feeds the coil packs individually

Coilpack2

<tuffty/>

Reactions: CSS3 and A3-Lee
There are 4 individual coils dude... pretty sure this won't work...

From what I can make out the unit is designed for dual input coil packs like this...

View attachment 73365

...not coil on plug setups like the VAG...

From the following AGU wiring diagrams it looks like the ECU uses all four out puts and not two as the coil pack above uses so I suspect the kit you bought won't work.

View attachment 73366

J220 is the ECU... there are 4 outputs going to N122 which is the ignition amp... this then feeds the coil packs individually

View attachment 73367

<tuffty/>

Completely understandable. Is there any sort of launch control mod I can buy or would you just recommend a remap and have it added to the map ?

AGU tuning is obsolete... if you want to go down that route then a standalone ECU like the Emerald may do this...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: CSS3
And to be clear this is just to show how an AGU ignition amp can be wired for a typical two wire output from a standalone ECU... this will still not work with the current AGU ME3.8 ECU...

<tuffty/>

Get an Emerald k6, I managed to get 20psi at 3k whilst parked in my garage today :laugh:

(I do not condone is sort of foolishness :racer: )

Reactions: A3-Lee
I did advise him to get a built bottom end first, back in the day when the Wot box came out Badger5 and Rtech were advising people to only use it with forged rods.

Reactions: A3-Lee
Unburnt fuel in the cylinders leads to cylinder wash, which leads to excessive piston ring and cylinder wear.