Single mass flywheel?

Ant600

Reaction score
Hi I'm going to need a clutch in my a4 2.0tdi 170 and was wondering if anyone's done a single mass conversion and how does it feel compared to the dual mass?

Go dual mass, you'll thank me later :icon_thumright:

Fair few threads with more info... but yeah single mass means saving money for something that might do more harm than good which will cost more in the long run.

Reactions: Paul B7 and tut_gareth
I am with Jake.
There have been others who have tried Single and then reverted to Dual Mass fly wheels.

when i need to change clutch i always go for smfw never had a problem
always on stage 2/3 cars
southbend i always use

I wanna get mine mapped next month and need a clutch that can handle the extra torque . I've heard smf are great and now not so great. And if I stick to dmf is there a uprated one ?

The car was designed to use a DMF and not an SMF.
The reason you should replace the flywheel with a DMF is three-fold:
1. You exert excessive torque against the crank shaft and eventually kill it.
2. You will exert excessive torque and vibration against the gearbox thus damage it.
3. You will experience a noisy and unpleasant driving experience.

Why?
Because a dual-mass flywheel is not only a flywheel but also acts as a mechanical filter getting rid of unwanted vibration and torque on the drive train, bear in mind the engine and gearbox were designed with the DMF in the equation so by removing it you are introducing too many variables that were not planned in to the design and despite so many people on forums dumbing down the need for a DMF, short term you will save money but if you keep the car long-term you will defiantly be out of pocket when either the engine or gearbox totally shats its pants.

Rob.

Reactions: Wrath, sidibear, tut_gareth and 1 other person
The car was designed to use a DMF and not an SMF.
The reason you should replace the flywheel with a DMF is three-fold:
1. You exert excessive torque against the crank shaft and eventually kill it.
2. You will exert excessive torque and vibration against the gearbox thus damage it.
3. You will experience a noisy and unpleasant driving experience.

Why?
Because a dual-mass flywheel is not only a flywheel but also acts as a mechanical filter getting rid of unwanted vibration and torque on the drive train, bear in mind the engine and gearbox were designed with the DMF in the equation so by removing it you are introducing too many variables that were not planned in to the design and despite so many people on forums dumbing down the need for a DMF, short term you will save money but if you keep the car long-term you will defiantly be out of pocket when either the engine or gearbox totally shats its pants.

Rob.

Well that's sorted then...................... LOL

Reactions: geordiestig
Thanks Rob, that's the first time I've seen a sensible argument for keeping a DMF.

Reactions: geordiestig
so all these audis bmw etc etc running big power with smfw have got it wrong ?

so all these audis bmw etc etc running big power with SMF have got it wrong ?
If you are referring to rally sport/track day vehicles no, the have been modified to use an SMF for several reasons, the most important reason is safety as DMF's are prone to exploding on the track, also spin-up, a DMF will introduce some lag, as you know the flywheel is in two parts held in tension by springs.
These modified cars have a suitable crank shaft and clutch to cope with the additional vibration and torque that you get from an SMF system.
If I am mistaken in some way I apologies, by no means am I a mechanic or an expert - I am software engineer so worlds apart in terms of discipline however I use a very knowledgeable mechanic who I understand is a mechanical engineer by trade and I received this information from him.

Rob.