Single Grill Conversion Done....V6 S3 Hybrid!!! pic heavy

both was having fun coding today got a right blighter of a problem. gonna finish rebuilding then go for a drive cycle and see whats there only got one little bulb fault atm dispide all of the cold diagnosis being off on the car

ah! so you dont need your dummy back off me just yet then lol to calm you down before bed lol!

Hey its coming on, seems you dont have too many issues there considering all the changes its had done!

nah not really but its me so if i did i would just get it fixed got the logbook too so now its officially in my name :)

This thread is awesome, car looks amazin sarah......wondered if you or anyone could help, i currently have a 2.0 fsi in black with the split grill as shown below
IMG-20101011-00004.jpg

if i was to buy these 2 items
AUDI A3 2005-2008 Front Bumper - 3 Door on eBay (end time 13-Nov-10 13:21:51 GMT)

AUDI A3 2005> Front Grille GRILL New With NO Badge on eBay (end time 11-Nov-10 09:50:06 GMT)

wud i need a new bonnet aswell or wud these 2 be all i needed and would my current fogs be a straight swap???
hope someone can help??

Yes you need a bonnet

And yes your current fogs and grilles are fine

sub is indeed correct no wiring no change of fogs, you will need a bonnet and fog grills, they look the same but are different on the single grill model

Yup Phil is correct, bonnets on Ebay are like hens teeth but you may be lucky. TPS are cheaper than Audi. I also think you will need new grills, I have seen these on Ebay but they arnt too dear from Audi or even better TPS again. Good luck doing the conversion. Thanks for the kind words, I loved doing it too! Just need side skirts now......

Hey Sarah,
Newbie to this thread, but I just bought myself 2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI in Mauritus Blue. (split grille)

Absolutely loving what you have done to yours.!!!!!!!!!!!
It's inpsired me to start modding mine!!!!!

First plans are nice and easy. I'm fitting an RNS-E to the interior and also gonna try the black paint between the split grill and finish off with chrome trim. Eventually plan to convert to facelift grille wen I saved enough pennies.

I'm also debating on the brushed aluminium wing mirrors at the mo......

I'll update the thread with pics.. wen I get done.

Hiya Lee

Your car sounds great, and what an ace colour!!!!! lol. I love the mauritus blue.

Thanks for the words, i'm loving it too. Your mods sound good, and the grill one is a nice quick and cheap starter. Certainly helped me while I waited for the conversion. I was goin gto go, alu mirrors but was worried about them being pinched tbh plus I like them matching my alloys now. But give it a go esp if the grill you use has the chrome trim to it.

Pics will be good.

pm me i have a set of s3 mirrors surplus to my needs after facelifting as i now require ones with leds in them

Just completed my paint job on the split grille. Will start taking proper pics and start a thread once several mods get underway and completed.
Really like the result of the grille and for less than £20 pounds.....

1957-new-grille.jpg

Pleased with the finish... on to my next mod he he !!!

Hey good job there Lee, see told you it was easy and cheap to do. The saved pennies can go to other mods now!

I still need S3 side skirts so the hunt is on.....

Missed this thread as I haven't been about for a while, really good job and good to see you getting your hands dirty doing it Sarah!!

Looks so much fresher / better! And nice little Cupra R splitter underneath - is your ground clearance OK?

Missed this thread as I haven't been about for a while, really good job and good to see you getting your hands dirty doing it Sarah!!

Looks so much fresher / better! And nice little Cupra R splitter underneath - is your ground clearance OK?

thank you very much. Ground clearance is good but mines not sitting as low as most. Although it did catch a high kerb the other day, oops, so its off at the mo! But generally wasnt an issue.

im getting fed up with working on mine, strugging to keep the hands warm it gets fffffffreeeeezing at 10 oclock at night

im getting fed up with working on mine, strugging to keep the hands warm it gets fffffffreeeeezing at 10 oclock at night

Its indoors!!!! lol, you big softie! Wear some thermals lol......

Love working on mine, just deciding what to do next is the problem lol!

haha were in scotland and its in a bitg garage with no heating. probably colder than your home freezer! you lot have nothing to worry about in sunny england though ;)

1957-new-grille.jpg

Pleased with the finish... on to my next mod he he !!!

I am now thinking that until i can afford to do the single grill conversion i would like to do this temporary mod to mine as it looks awesome, can sarah or lee or anyone else tell me where they got all their materials from? eg what ill need? glue, paint, where the chrome trim is from? and also if the part of the top grill that you have colour coded was it to match the grill? or the section that the number plate is attatched to? if that makes sense :S

I got all mine materials from Halfords. I used some sanding pads, primer, Satin Black Paint and the chrome strip. Its a tag thinner but not really noticeable once on. You need to paint the top grills lower chrome edge black to match in with the bumper so it matches. My grill was a satin finish anyway as I use a plastic trim cleaner on it so it all fitted in well. Its easy to do and didnt take too long, good luck and show pics when done.

I got all mine materials from Halfords. I used some sanding pads, primer, Satin Black Paint and the chrome strip. Its a tag thinner but not really noticeable once on. You need to paint the top grills lower chrome edge black to match in with the bumper so it matches. My grill was a satin finish anyway as I use a plastic trim cleaner on it so it all fitted in well. Its easy to do and didnt take too long, good luck and show pics when done.

Cheers sarah,

i will get pics up once ive done it,

one quick question tho, what did you use to attatch the chrome strips? what type of glue???

Hey Clayton,
The strip comes with self adhesive from Halfords. It is ample strong enough to keep the chrome on. Yeah like Sarah says, get some pics up, wen ur done. Enjoy the mod, I was well chuffed with my result.

Hey Clayton,
The strip comes with self adhesive from Halfords. It is ample strong enough to keep the chrome on. Yeah like Sarah says, get some pics up, wen ur done. Enjoy the mod, I was well chuffed with my result.

another quick question please, did you remove the top grill to spray the bottom part of the crome? how many coats of primer/paint did you use? how long did you leave each to dry? just a rough idea of how long the mod will take to complete?
much appreciated

another quick question please, did you remove the top grill to spray the bottom part of the crome? how many coats of primer/paint did you use? how long did you leave each to dry? just a rough idea of how long the mod will take to complete?
much appreciated

Hey Clayton,
I didn't take off the grill, I just spent a while getting it all masked up to leave a perfect straight line so all that was exposed was the chrome. I sanded down that and between the two grilles first to get something for the primer to bind to. I then put on the primer, which took about 4-5 coats. The best advice is to take it slow and not get any drips forming. I would say about 15 minutes between each coat to slowly build up. I then left the primer for 2 hrs to dry out. I had some scran then returned and again with the black. Nice and steady till I got an even good finish. Takes a few hours 5-6 but done in a day no worries. That worked for me..

hey sarah hows the car going anymore plans for this year/next year ive been busy with the carbon wrap again i did my b-pillars and my rear ashtray looks so much better now ive seen some awesome wheels which im saving up for

much appreciated

Similar to what Lee has put. I didnt remove the grill, was easy enough doing it on the car once masked off. But mine was done in the spring/summer so the primer/paint dried pretty fast. Only took the part of the day and all done.

hey sarah hows the car going anymore plans for this year/next year ive been busy with the carbon wrap again i did my b-pillars and my rear ashtray looks so much better now ive seen some awesome wheels which im saving up for

Hey you, hows things. Cars going well thanks, just flew through the MOT with no issues so im happy! No other plans this year tbh, totally skint and Christmas isnt far away.

Hey the wrap sounds good, will have a look at the thread on it, hope there was pics! I like the B Pillars done, good mod. So which wheels have you seen??? 18s or 19s?

i know im skint till next year my holiday done me in lol , yeah the b-pillars look very nice easy and effective i put a pic on my thread carbon or not to carbon , i saw these wheels on ebay they are reps but i like them 18" R8 ALLOY WHEELS AUDI A3 VW GOLF SEAT SKODA 5X112 on eBay (end time 05-Nov-10 16:41:07 GMT) what do you think i think they would suit my car

Yup, I think they would suit very well. I looked at these a while back. I really like them. Go for it! How was the holiday? Good time had?

yeah they are nice wheels and for only £299 for just the rims too cant be bad as i'll be sticking to 18" as 19" get expensive with tyres so 18" for me , yeah was brill thanks didnt wnt to come back it was on average 32o'c blazing sunshine everyday and 17o'c at night i also saw some very nice audi's out there the best was a ABT tuned Q7 it was awesome it was something like 380bhp from a 3.0tdi and i also saw some nice modded S3's

well nice car, good work :p and since its you doing the work then thats bonus points :p, built not bought

What a ****** nice car Sarah, and to see that you've got your hands dirty too!! Good on ya! :)