Single clunk when braking - help please?

AudiAK

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm at my wits end trying to figure a single metallic clunk noise when I brake whilst driving. It only happens at low speeds and after I've been over a rough road or speed bump. It happens once then it goes away and only comes back the next time I've been over a rough road, incline or speed bump.

I did not long ago replace the brake pads and discs all round. I also added spacers to the back. I replaced the front caliper springs once again, changed the brake fluid but the noise still continues. It seems to come from the front axle.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any pointers on what else it may be?

The pads 100% correct size etc? I’ve seen before a couples mms different and when you hit the brakes the first time they move slightly and that’s a similar noise to why you describe.

Reactions: AudiAK
Thanks bud.

So I ended up narrowing it down to coming from the passenger side front caliper.

I took the pads out today to inspect and could see that the little ears at the end of the pads aren't 100% to the shape of the groove on the calipers (the pads are made by Bendix).

I was able to reproduce the noise by twisting the pads side to side (which could happen to the inner one as it was on the piston and had lots of copper grease at the back. As the discs are 1LC grooved and drilled it probably drags the pad and causes movement.

I tightened the pad clip up by stretching it slightly and cleaning the excess copper grease off. All good so far and even sorted out the slightly brake squeal.

I'll probably change the pads for better ones at some point but good to know it's just the pads.

Reactions: tr7