SIM card usage

Barry Rowe

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve just bought my first Audi A3 saloon on a 66 plate and have inserted a 3G sim with data but I still can’t access google world or weather etc as it’s saying the original has expired. I’m I doing something wrong.

I think in the connection manager you need to switch over to the new card...

The license as probably expired for the services, this can be checked in the connection manger. If they have then the only way to use google earth is by purchasing a data plan with Audi. You could try contacting Audi UK to see if they will extend the original licence free of charge. I had the original 3 months trial of these service when I got the car 3 years ago and every year I contact Audi and the licence gets extended for another year.

Last edited:
I had mine extended when the trial period ran out. This was done for free and offers limited internet bits. I think if you use the sim slot then the car can be set up as a hoy spot for anybody inside using the internet.

Colin

Could you put up a picture or quote of the exact error you are getting?

As others have said if it's the Audi Connect license expiring then it's usually a case of a live chat to Audi asking for the Connect license so be extended.

Cheers,

Chris

Audi connect license is normally 3 years from new.
You can get traffic updates license extended for free if you contact Audi customer service.
SIM card slot is really for the router so you can share internet with passengers if connect and traffic has expired.

Does the A3 have the inbuilt WiFi hotpot? Iv noticed that Cubic Telecom prices have gone down and date is at 60GB per it for UK. Really good.

Think @cuke2u nailed it. You have put a SIM card in so all data is used via that card. I have tried it and you need to change the settings in connection manager. If you take it out then you revert back you audi Connect bit as you don’t have any Connect contract now then you will prob have no data. Contact Audi for a free year or sack your SIM card back in.

SIM card is used for the inbuilt WiFi hotpot if you don’t go for the Audi provider that is Cubic Telecom. The SIM card is also used to provide data for Audi Connect if you don’t have a contact with Audi

Is not having Audi Connect really a huge loss, unless I’m missing some great feature I wouldn’t be terribly upset if it stopped working tomorrow. Other than Google Maps I don’t think I use it, then I could just use Car Play, although I know (think?) Car Play wasnt standard on all 8V’s?

Won’t know till I have it. I’m waiting for Audi to get back to me about getting it for free but I’ve also found out how to pay for it so I will give the £9.99 1 month pack a try if I get no joy from Audi. £85.00 a year.

Yea, sorry Barry, wasn’t questioning you, more the other members to see if my understanding of Connect is right.

Glad you’ve got a solution in place! Interesting there’s a price associated with it now, I thought Audi were dishing it out for free because they hadn’t figured out a pricing structure for it.

Never took it that way. The Audi app takes you to the site where you can pay for it.

£85 a year for Audi Connect?! Wow that’s pricey! I’m sure you can get a 12month SIM card for cheaper and with the SIM card you will be able to create a hotspot in the A3 (if the A3 has this, not entirely certain!)

Connect price isn’t just for the data plan, it includes traffic and other services.

The 8v didn’t get that much as it’s an old model.
Traffic update and send destination to car is all that’s worthwhile the rest like weather, fuel prices, news you can google and get better results and not worth £85 a year.
Facelift tech pack included a data subscription for connect and map updates and you have to pay to use data for anything else.
Seen the Audi connect on newer models when visiting relatives abroad where you can lock/unlock car and check other things like fluids is good but not seen them on the newer UK models over here. Maybe new a3 will get them.

Audi connect isn't used for those and post 2018 A4's, and higher models do already have those features...

Last edited:
£85 a year for Audi Connect?! Wow that’s pricey! I’m sure you can get a 12month SIM card for cheaper and with the SIM card you will be able to create a hotspot in the A3 (if the A3 has this, not entirely certain!)

Waiting for Audi online to get back to me about this.

Sorry I meant £99.

Sorry I meant £99.

£99 Is the same charge cubic telecom wants for a year. Make sure Audi isn’t fobbing you off with just a data subscription you can get from likes of Ee or Vodafone for half the price.

I thanks for that. So what gets you the weather and flights etc.

Audi Connect. But because you put in a SIM card then Audi Connect data and the service by Cubic Telecom both are disabled and run from the sim. Once you take out the sim your car reverts back to needing 2 active connections, Audi Connect for maps, weather, traffic, map updates & Cubic Telecom for WiFi hotpot.

So if I buy some data from cubic telecom I won’t get google earth and weather.

I don't know how to break it up for you easier!

• Cubic telecom, assuming the A3 has hotspot, is for the wifi hotspot! Only that! nothing else! nada mas! nichts Mehr! niente di più!! If you do this then you go to this webpage to add a package so you and your passengers can connect heir phone, tablet or laptop to the internet. https://audi.cubictelecom.com/en/

• Audi Connect is for the MMI features like google earth, weather, traffic - This video should explain more. Its on a PFL A3 so your visuals will be different but the features the same

• If you put in a SIM card then both the above services run from the SIM card so be sure to have enough data allowance.

• If you do NOT put in a SIM card then those 2 services above work separately. Obviously you have never had the hotspot wifi activated which doesn't matter. It is only when you put in a SIM card of you choice that the 2 services start to work from the 1 source, IE: your new SIM card you put in!
Thats the best I can do! :icon thumright:

I don't know how to break it up for you easier!

• Cubic telecom, assuming the A3 has hotspot, is for the wifi hotspot! Only that! nothing else! nada mas! nichts Mehr! niente di più!! If you do this then you go to this webpage to add a package so you and your passengers can connect heir phone, tablet or laptop to the internet. https://audi.cubictelecom.com/en/

• Audi Connect is for the MMI features like google earth, weather, traffic - This video should explain more. Its on a PFL A3 so your visuals will be different but the features the same

• If you put in a SIM card then both the above services run from the SIM card so be sure to have enough data allowance.

• If you do NOT put in a SIM card then those 2 services above work separately. Obviously you have never had the hotspot wifi activated which doesn't matter. It is only when you put in a SIM card of you choice that the 2 services start to work from the 1 source, IE: your new SIM card you put in!
Thats the best I can do! :icon thumright:

Problem is I have a sim in and although I have a hotspot the weather etc says it’s expired.

I also spoke to Audi UK today and blagged 1year free

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Audi do have a habit of doing this for those who don't have the 'free' three years Connect. In a years time they may well extend it again..

Reactions: Alan66
Seems that all the info that I’ve getting on this thread is crap. I’ve got the Audi connect for free which works all in stuff like weather and google earth and I’ve added a data only EE sim into car which only uses data when people connect to the car.

Don’t believe everything you hear.

Seems that all the info that I’ve getting on this thread is ****.

Glad to be of service! I think everyone has been 100% correct actually and you can check online if you would like to verify all the info given. You have Audi Connect free because you rang up and got a year extra thanks to the advice given on this thread. Also, the advice i gave regarding the Connect data being disabled via Audi directly if you insert a sim card is true for my vehicle. It is up to you to use the advice people give and then try to problem solve at your end. We are not there in person to help you and are going off the short little messages you gave us! Next time, perhaps appreciate the help people give....

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnM100 and Alan66
Seems that all the info that I’ve getting on this thread is ****. I’ve got the Audi connect for free which works all in stuff like weather and google earth and I’ve added a data only EE sim into car which only uses data when people connect to the car.

When you add the data only sim, the embedded sim is over ridden and all data for all the services you use will be from your EE sim and not just when people are connected to it.

Reactions: Ormesome
When you add the data only sim, the embedded sim is over ridden and all data for all the services you use will be from your EE sim and not just when people are connected to it.

Thanks @Mark_R :icon thumright: I was wondering if it was only my Q2 that was like this as my old A3 didn't have the SIM card or Audi Connect! Cheers for confirming!