1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

SIM card not recognised on MMI Nav Plus

ohare Jan 25, 2020

1. ohare

ohare Registered User

Cannot get my Audi Connect to work on 2016 S3, I had it working OK about a year ago. Then stopped working as as licences expired. I have now got my free 1yr renewal from Audi Connect services, the EE data SIM card is live, I checked it in a tablet.

The unit will not recognised the SIM card so cannot go any further to do setup. I have gone into Tel and set data services on. There are some threads on the net about this problem but no definite answer.
    I have not reset the MMI. There is also talk on the net about the "green menu". Has anyone solved this one..

PS. Is this the best place to post this on the Forum.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Ormesome

Ormesome Registered User

If you have put in an extra SIM card then the system will default to use that for all data including Audi connect devices and hotspot/WiFi if you have this too. To use the Audi provided Connect services without the SIM card then I think you have to take out the sim card you have put in. If you go to connection manager then you should be able to specify what you do with each connection but I’m pretty sure that if you put in a sim then it means that all data come off that.

Questions to fault find:

1. Does Audi connect work without your extra sim put in? If it does then why are you putting one in?
    2. Does the EE SIM card have data loaded to it?

4. ohare

ohare Registered User

I was not aware you could configure the MMI to use Audi Connect Services using a Bluetoothed phone connection.
    The EE card worked in my iPad

5. Ormesome

Ormesome Registered User

That’s not what i am saying. You cannot do what you suggested. Where is the SIM card now? In the MMI? If it is then ALL data is being used from there, but you need to configure it from the connection manager in the MMI. If it isn’t in the MMI then maps and so on are using Audi connect ie: in built sim.

6. ohare

ohare Registered User

SIM card is in the MMI but no icons comes up along the bottom of the display to show any connectivity. It is like the MMI unit does not recognise the SIM card is inserted.

7. Dubjam

Dubjam Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Try a different Sim card. Three ones I've always found to be ok. EE I have had problems with.

8. ohare

ohare Registered User

I have just tried a 3 data SIM that I tested on an iPad. MMI still does not recognise the card. I have not tried a MMI reset yet.
    I have found threads that suggest this unit can fail.

9. Khufu

Khufu Registered User

have you got the correct APN in the connection settings?

10. ohare

ohare Registered User

Never get that far, SIM is not recognised so don't pass the first screen, just keeps saying insert SIM card...

11. Speedychuck

Speedychuck Registered User

If it's any help, I've tried a 3 sim in mine and it worked fine. No configuration required either.

When I put the sim in, the Audi LTE signal bars disappeared, and a couple of minutes later the 3 bars appeared, not LTE, cant remember if it was 3G or 4G though.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Any luck?

14. ohare

ohare Registered User

Not yet, I am now wondering if it is a hardware fault.

15. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Registered User

Are you putting it in right?
    A lot of SIM cards have multiple sizes with sleeves clipped into more sleeves and don’t sit right if they are in the bigger holders so the mmi unit might not be making the right contact with sim.

16. RJ-8V

RJ-8V Registered User

The sim slot often goes defective in the a3....