Sim Card Adaptors.

BGS

Reaction score
I've got Audi Connect and currently got an old pay as you go sim card in there.

So, I’m looking to get a contract sim from Three this morning and it occurs to me that I might as well just get a handset too for about the same money as they have an offer for existing customers, whip out the sim and eBay the phone or give it to my Nephew or whatever. Problem being that most handsets now use micro or nano sims.

Has anybody got any experience of using a sim adaptor in their car, if so any tips on what to avoid or recommendations?

Cheers in advance.

Has anybody got any experience of using a sim adaptor in their car, if so any tips on what to avoid or recommendations?

Avoid them full stop. It won't fit in there with an adapter as well - I tried with Itguy's SIM in my car, no chance. You'd have to sand down the microSIM (which may stop it working in other devices as the contact won't be as good) and glue it into the adapter in order to get it to work I think.

GiffGaff are quite good, also you can choose what type of SIM card you want:
https://giffgaff.com/orders/free-sim

Also I think most companies will send you another SIM of whatever variety you want if you ask them, obviously they will lock your old SIM as you can't have two tied to the same number / account.

My Ovivo sim came as a pop-out job which gave you the option to decide what size you want the sim to be. I originally chose the micro-sim to use it in my iPad 2. But when I tried it in my car I just pushed out the mini-sim surround bit and popped a bit of Sellotape onto the back to retain the micro-bit. Worked a treat! ImageImage

I believe it says not to use adaptors in the manual as they can become trapped in the socket...

My Ovivo sim came as a pop-out job which gave you the option to decide what size you want the sim to be. I originally chose the micro-sim to use it in my iPad 2. But when I tried it in my car I just pushed out the mini-sim surround bit and popped a bit of Sellotape onto the back to retain the micro-bit. Worked a treat!View attachment 27534View attachment 27535

I tried this as well but even the sellotape made it too thick (and too wide for that matter since I wrapped the tape around the edge a bit) to go in the slot. I wouldn't want to risk losing the micro sim in the slot anyway so would be very wary about trying it.

I recommend a Three PAYG SIM rather than a contract, unless you're tethering etc. For example, I've been using the SIM card in my car for just over a month, >1000 miles and still have £9.06 left of £10 topup. Granted, you get 150mb (effectively £1.50) worth of free data too, so this time next month, I expect to have at least £6.50 left. It works out cheaper than a contract.

Thanks for all of the input.

Sufficiently scared of losing a sim in the unit so shall be rethinking my genius idea. Looks like I will stick with Pay as you go.

Most companies will send the correct size sim after you get up and running. Do not use adapters!!!!!