Silly situation , washer bottle is loosing water [ slowly]

AGB-S3

Reaction score
Silly situation , washer bottle is loosing water [ slowly] but as yet , not been able to locate the cause of the loss ..

No drips and no wet patch under the car in the morning etc

Q is there a usual fail spot ? pipe running through the car or something , the washer additive has a quite a unique aroma , which is not noticeable in the cabin , unless the screen washer is used - which seems to be working 'ok' windscreen ok, head lamp ok ,

Rear wash gives one pulse then a delay 3 may be 4 seconds before the main steam starts - Possible fault area ?

Tnx- Graham..

my screenwash comes slowly through the wheel arch - I know this because when I was doing the timing belt it was dripping into my eyes and nose. I couldn't see anything obvious either and have looked for "screenwash repair compounds" or similar like a rad weld for the screenwash bottle. the closest I have got is boiling water and rad weld poured into the screenwash bottle (that must be a joke) I need to fit a FMIC soon so might aswell do the washer bottle at the same time I suppose.

Had a similar issue on mine. The pipe (I think that runs to the rear washer jet) has a join in the plastic conduit underneath the air filter. This is the rectangular conduit that is clipped together. If you remove the air filter you can unclip it and remove the top. Mine had come apart here.
They can also leak at the rear connection (behind boot trim) to the washer jet and at the headlight washers behind the bumper (assuming you have these)
I believe there may also be a connection inside the rear around the sub/cd changer area but do not exactly know where.
I'm sure someone will chip in as to this (or any other locations)

Failing that try the search function

Mark

Tnx Stuart, now the thermostat return pipe to the cooling water header tank, snapped off a while back .that was a crack propagation event , with polished surfaces ...had to fit a new tank ...

So ...This mean's , the plastic used for the tanks has a sell by date , [ as in sell the car before that date ] ...and is now likely to start cracking ....

Tnx -G,

Had a similar issue on mine. The pipe (I think that runs to the rear washer jet) has a join in the plastic conduit underneath the air filter. This is the rectangular conduit that is clipped together. If you remove the air filter you can unclip it and remove the top. Mine had come apart here.
They can also leak at the rear connection (behind boot trim) to the washer jet and at the headlight washers behind the bumper (assuming you have these)
I believe there may also be a connection inside the rear around the sub/cd changer area but do not exactly know where.
I'm sure someone will chip in as to this (or any other locations)

Failing that try the search function

Mark

Tnx -
Q Rear wash/wipe , should that be a constant stream , from the moment, the washer is engaged ?

the double action , of short pulse of water , 3/4 second delay ., then constant flow .... looks to be loosing water from the pipe , when not being used ?? I had a Golf, where the washer pipe detached in the tail-gate ..may be this is similar ?

G,

if you haven't used it in a while the rear washer water may take a couple seconds to be pumped from the front of the car to the rear

it is in the hatch - mine was dribbling out the water and i pulled off the hatch plastic trim to find the connector had cracked. a simple fix of cutting the cracked connector then attaching some leftover silicone boost piping hose fixed it

now the strong jet of water is back! (after maybe 2-3 seconds delay)

Ok, Tnx, that's as to be expected then ,,, looking for some sort of crack , may be that only opens when the car is driven over rough roads ..
G,

there's a little gasket that goes under the washer pump - maybe yours has deteriorated?

Reactions: Bugeye_bob
My S3 used to lose water and I could never figure out where,always thought it might have been the window washer bottle. Started to get worse and eventually figured out it was the joint where you have to disconnect the washer hoses to take front bumper off. Easy fix just had to push clip back in.

my headlight washer pump is leaking a the gasket like @IanPG says; it leaves a puddle under the front offside corner

Reactions: IPG
had a split pump on mine, corrosion had expanded the casing leading to a leak. much easier than changing what i thought was a split reservoir though, result...

Same as mine :). Mine was so corroded couldn't turn it with pliers. No idea how the car just passed Swiss MOT as they are suppose to check that.
20140824 134349

Reactions: Alex C