Silly Question Time

Somniac

Reaction score
Ok, flame suit on ............. The RS is the first car I've ever owned thats automatic (semi). I notice that there is a certain amount of "creep" when on tickover so in order to stay stationary I have to keep my foot on the brake. Common sense tells me that too much of this could eventually burn out the clutch so I've started knocking it into neutral when sitting at traffic lights etc. Is it the done thing to stick it in neutral while stationary for more than a few seconds or am I worrying for nothing ?

That's what I do mate, seems to be what neutral's for… Park when going nowhere, D/S when engaged etc.

absolute no need to do this, i put 50k miles on my R32 DSG in very heavy SE london traffic and had no issues with the box or the clutch, this would be hundreds of thousands of "creeps" and thousands of 0-30 launches

In my experience of RS cars, yes use P or N when stationary as you are more likely to transfer brake pad deposits on to the discs which in time will cause vibrations

absolute no need to do this, i put 50k miles on my R32 DSG in very heavy SE london traffic and had no issues with the box or the clutch, this would be hundreds of thousands of "creeps" and thousands of 0-30 launches

Can't do any harm though right? I also pop it into neutral when decelerating from warp speed coming up to roundabouts etc. No point fighting the engine as well as momentum/inertia (John will be able to define the difference!)...

Can't do any harm though right? I also pop it into neutral when decelerating from warp speed coming up to roundabouts etc. No point fighting the engine as well as momentum/inertia (John will be able to define the difference!)...

opps: your talking about on the move, no I would never do that, apart from anything else it wastes fuel, i also run down the box as i pull up if driving spiritedly

when stationary unless engaging the clutch caused a slight wear to the clutch plate then no I can not imagine it doing any harm but i am sure an expert can advise us properly

i certainly wont be doing it, unless of course the brakes where hot, which they wont be in normal driving or heavy traffic

Last edited:
I would never put a car in neutral while it's moving, whether it's a manual or an auto. It's a bad practice as far as I'm concerned.
While the car is in neutral, you lose some level of control over the car.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, Kelza, kwistof and 1 other person

On the contrary, I probably screwed the mechatronic control unit in my first DSG car by doing this on a regular basis. It confuses the car greatly and introduced bad shunting (the clutches engaging and disengaging repeatedly) when pulling away.

Only use N when stationary; I only use it if I think I will be stopped for more than 5-10 seconds.

Reactions: L1ARR, DAYTONA 500 and 45bvtc