Signs of a misfire

Skid

Reaction score
May sound like a silly question to some of you but what are the signs of a misfire?

It depends on what is causing the misfire. If it's pretty severe then as above, rough running, loss of power, care going into limp mode after a while (the 8th light on the boost gauge will go out when supposedly on full boost dropping it down to 7 lit, and you'll feel the power loss), poor fuel economy, you may even feel the engine stutter under acceleration. What you probably wont get is an engine management light come up.

engine stutter under acceleration

This is what I’m getting,maybe 2-3 times during the whole Rev range during 1 gear.

Only noticed it since putting my res-delete on because I can hear the stutter through the exhaust,will it throw up an error code if I put it on a diagnostic’s machine?

Probably not no. Get yourself an ELM 327 OBD dongle (about 8 quid ), torque pro app (about 3 quid) and do a basic diagnosis yourself. In the test results section of the app, where it delves into your cars logs, it will provide misfire counts on each cylinder for you.

Thanks for the info Damo. Just googled ELM and as per usual a hole array of different one’s came up,what’s the best one to go for?

Am I likely to cause any problems if I keep using the car as normal?

google ELM 327 and get it from amazon.

Depends if it is actually misfiring and what the cause of that is. I certainly wouldn't be ragging it until you have some answers. If you are particularly concerned then take it to a dealer and ask for a diagnostic asap, explain the symptoms and ask them to check for misfires. Is your car still under warranty?
There are 2 potential problems with repeated misfires. 1) if unburnt fuel is being chucked down the exhaust then it will eventually destroy the cat (this happened to me). 2) If it is being caused by pre-ignition (detonation) then that can damage the piston.

Is your car still under warranty?

No it’s a PFL 2014 model

So got it on a diagnostic’s machine and this is what it came back with,anybody know exactly what this is?

1490A973 89DD 47B5 9A19 ADABA16A908E

I’ve just replaced both my magnets after random missfire and a weird stutttering on tick over. Completely cured it.

Cheers Damo,also stumbled across this thread when having a search on google. Got one ordered so hopefully this will fix my problem.

I’ve just replaced both my magnets after random missfire and a weird stutttering on tick over. Completely cured it.

Is this the N205 valves your talking about or something different?

Cheers Damo,also stumbled across this thread when having a search on google. Got one ordered so hopefully this will fix my problem.

Is this the N205 valves your talking about or something different?
The magnets are on the cam side of the cam cover, 2x sensors with 3x torx screws. They send the oil flow to the adjuster to control the cams and ignition. Proper name is

Camshaft adjustment magnet. I ordered 2 from Germany, bilstein variants. And they have cured a problem that ever the dealer couldn’t find.

The magnets are on the cam side of the cam cover, 2x sensors with 3x torx screws. They send the oil flow to the adjuster to control the cams and ignition. Proper name is

Camshaft adjustment magnet. I ordered 2 from Germany, bilstein variants. And they have cured a problem that ever the dealer couldn’t find.

Something different then,did you have the same fault code I’m getting for your problem?

I’ve got a N205 valve on its way now so will try that first and if not will look towards the magnets,are they expensive?