Sign recognition..........

Kestrel

It's my birthday
Reaction score
My previous car (Mazda6) was able to tell me the speed limit of the road I was on. It did this via the Sat Nav GPS. That being the case, you could almost understand that at times it might get it wrong as it might not always know exactly where it was.

The Audi system, on the other hand, boasts that it is reading the traffic signs (Camera-based traffic sign recognition). So, it shouldn’t really matter whether or not the car knows exactly where it is.

How come then, that I can be driving along the A16 in Boston in my brand new A4, the road is clearly marked (with a traffic sign) as 40mph and yet the car is telling me that I should be driving at 30mph?

I am confused!

I don't know, systems aren't perfect all the time. Make sure your maps are up date, if so unfortunately you will need to direct your question at Audi. I thought we'd established, as you haven't got the driver assist package, that you wouldn't have the camera based system either. Or am I getting it wrong?

In the manual, it lists that it uses a combination of both the traffic sign recognition and the navigation data to show the speed limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You only have the camera with the drivers assist - tour package though, don't you? That's what it seems to state in the brochure...

No - it can be specified without driver assist, however if you select Driver Assist - Tour it makes the camera based speed recognition mandatory.

@Kestrel - If you are interested it's page 122 in the manual.

My bad, you are correct, it's on page 110 of the brochure and is option QR9 but has to have the technology pack WB4. My apologies to you both...

Thanks for your replies.
Its interesting that it seems that GPS IS involved somewhere...which tends to throw my argument out of the window. Ah well!
FYI, I DO have `Camera based traffic sign recognition` on my car.

Reactions: maui
No - it can be specified without driver assist, however if you select Driver Assist - Tour it makes the camera based speed recognition mandatory.

@Kestrel - If you are interested it's page 122 in the manual.

Thank you for that `maui`.
I have just re-read it. Then went on to page 123.
There, under `CONTROLS` it has a Fig 129 marked `Instrument cluster secondary display`
It continues - `Calling up the Traffic Sign Recognition` - Select the first display tab > Traffic Signs.
Just been out to the car and I cant find any of that stuff. I do have the VC, so maybe thats the reason!
Still very confused......may be an age thing!!!

It should be mostly the same in the VC - in the first section (where you can scroll up/down for fuel economy, consumers, average mph etc. There should be a section for traffic signs there - but will only show when you are driving. The secondary display means when you are in other areas of the DIS/VC - it will show the speed sign I think on one of the dials iirc.

But other than that I don't believe it's configurable - it uses both navy and recognition to work out the speed limit and I believe does a certain amount of 'swarm' based recognition from other vehicles average speed along that road. Can't recall where I read that now. So it can also report home signs / speeds etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brasso
I've have this problem all the time, it sometimes reads the speed signs on slip roads. It's why I now don't have my cruise control set using speed limits any more as it's caught me out a few times