Sidelights With Full Brightness DRL's VCDS Mod (3 dr facelift A3/S3's only)

Paullie

Banana Menace!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi folks, I don't know about you, but I found it a bit annoying how when I switch on my sidelights, my DRL's dull down to half brightness. I wanted to know if there was a way via VCDS to activate it so that I have my full brightness DRL's on along with my rear positional lights (basically sidelights with full strength DRL's). I had found out how to do this on the Sportback (Central Electrics 09, Byte 18, change from 2B to 2C) but this doesn't work on my facelift MY10 S3. Thanks to Dunk and Grimp today I went into Central Electrics 09 and changed Byte 18 in the long coding from 25 to 26 and hey presto, this works perfectly! I have my light switch set at DRL and now the switch shows that the sidelights are on at the same time, ..but the DRL's haven't dulled down to half strength. This mod may not be for everyone, but it's something I've wanted since I got my car and I thought I'd share. :wub: x

Is that the same as DRL Scandanavian setting ? This changes your DRLs to also have the rear lights on ?

Was thinking of asking my indie to change my DRL setting from North American to Scandanavian the next time it's in for a service

That's exactly it, Buddy. Full strength DRL's with rear lights. I think it's a setting that's much more appropriate for us North of the border, lol. ;)

Good stuff! Forgot to say, I'd be happy to do this change for anyone local to me FOC. :) x

Good stuff! Forgot to say, I'd be happy to do this change for anyone local to me FOC. :) x
I haven't long noticed this and I've had two. Shocking. Because of this i'll either drive with just the DRL's or full lights.

I haven't long noticed this and I've had two. Shocking. Because of this i'll either drive with just the DRL's or full lights.

Same here Dude, up to now, I've never driven using my sidelights as they seem pointless, when they're so dim at the front. I'm much happier with my lights now :) x

Same here Dude, up to now, I've never driven using my sidelights as they seem pointless, when they're so dim at the front. I'm much happier with my lights now :) x
Puzzled though, would like to know the thinking behind it?

Puzzled though, would like to know the thinking behind it?

Yeah, I know. It could possibly be argued that having the DRL's on at full brightness could cause a bit of dazzle when darkness is starting to fall, but otherwise it is a bit strange that they are the way they are as standard.

I feel its better to have rear sidelights on with DRL's as per my last Volvo. Just make sure you don't choose North America and choose "rest of world" otherwise the rear sidelights will flash with the indicators and the ambers will light up when you brake!! Imagine following an old banger with a trailer and the random disco lights LOL.

You still have the option to choose sidelights which do give the dimmer front DRL's (LED's) along with normal behaving rear sidelights.

I feel its better to have rear sidelights on with DRL's as per my last Volvo. Just make sure you don't choose North America and choose "rest of world" otherwise the rear sidelights will flash with the indicators and the ambers will light up when you brake!! Imagine following an old banger with a trailer and the random disco lights LOL.

You still have the option to choose sidelights which do give the dimmer front DRL's (LED's) along with normal behaving rear sidelights.

The "North America" and "Rest Of World" options on VCDS were there on the 8P2's, but on the 8P3 you don't get the same drop down list options in Central Electrics Byte 18. I had to take the plunge to play around with the long coding myself and luckily my first attempt worked perfectly, ie changing it from 25 to 26 (which seemed to me like the most obvious thing to try). No you deffo wouldn't want the rear positional lights flashing on and off when indicating, lol! :wub: xx

Thats odd as mine is a 2011 car which left the factory in August. Unless it's listed elsewhere in VCDS.

I prefer to think the option is DRL's front & rear as the switch is pointing to DRL's (unless you have auto I guess) Then you have the usual sidelights.

Yeah, that is strange. This was the very first mod I wanted to do when I got my VCDS lead and there was no option or drop down list to change the standard DRL's to DRL's front and rear of anything remotely like it, ..that I could see anyway. Doesn't mean it wasn't there though, lol! :laugh:

EDIT I see what it is now, ..you have a Sportback, ..the option was there to change the lights on the SB only (from 2B to 2C). There was no option to do the same thing on the 3 door. :wub: xx

Interesting mod, will have a go at this later to see what I think. Good spot Paullie!

Paullie,

Does this mod mean it is now NOT possible to have the DRLs on just on their own as they would be 'pre-mod'? Or do you still have the two settings i.e. DRLs just on their own and sidelights with DRLs no longer dimmed?

I think they are meant to dim because the law has a brightness limit on sidelights?

I sincerely hope this fad doesn't catch on! ****** drls are bad enough! :sadlike:

Paullie,

Does this mod mean it is now NOT possible to have the DRLs on just on their own as they would be 'pre-mod'? Or do you still have the two settings i.e. DRLs just on their own and sidelights with DRLs no longer dimmed?

That's what it means, Andy. Whenever DRL's are on, the rears are on too. You'd have to swap the coding back to have the DRL's on by themselves. As Helifella says, a better term for this is DRL's front and rear as opposed to sidelights with full brightness DRL. With this mod though, you can still opt to run your sidelights as normal when it starts to get dark if you wish (with half brightness DRL's) or just switch your dipped beams on. I would never go around with my DRL's on at night dazzling people, ..during the day my DRL's are on front and rear and when the light starts to fail, the dips go on. :wub: xx

Paullie do you have auto lights? reason I ask is I have auto lights & my full headlights come on too early when it isnt dark but I dont have a DRL switch on my lights to just have the LED DRLs on. But like you when I switch to side lights they are really dim.

So what I am asking is can I actually make my sidelights DRL bright?

Do you understand what I mean as its hard to explain lol

Paullie do you have auto lights? reason I ask is I have auto lights & my full headlights come on too early when it isnt dark but I dont have a DRL switch on my lights to just have the LED DRLs on. But like you when I switch to side lights they are really dim.

So what I am asking is can I actually make my sidelights DRL bright?

Do you understand what I mean as its hard to explain lol

Hey Phil, no I get you completely. I don't have auto lights, so just leave my light switch at DRL/sidelights setting (with this VCDS mo both are lit on the dial). Not sure if you can do the same with Auto lights, but maybe you could try changing the long coding, to see what happens. I'd be interested to know what your Byte 18 coding is at the moment. If it's 25 like mine, try changing it to 26. :wub: xx

I'm gonna do this at the weekend, purely for the fact that when my lights switch over to normal when on Auto it dulls the DRLs down and makes them look a bit weak. Also going to stop them from dulling when I hit the indicator.

I love Scandanavian mode. Full DRLs with the rears on as well.

One thing I need to know. On my work A6, you can change when the lights turn on when it's set to Auto. This can be done basically through the MMI and the sensitivity can be further changed through VCDS. can't find it on the A3, any ideas? Think they come on way to early at the mo!

Also going to stop them from dulling when I hit the indicator

And how are other drivers going to see your indicators?

My God, there's some rubbish spouted on here. What happened to road safety?
:crying:.

A reason to put the driving age limit up to at least 25!
:yes:

Reactions: RedDejavu

Sorry? Road safety? I think you will find I am one of the safest drivers about pal...

Have you had personal experience of seeing an A3 with and without DRL dimming on indicators? Well I have, and I know what it looks like!

As far as I'm concerned, the DRLs are not bright enough to stop any other road user from seeing my indicators. It is a comfort function that I know can be altered via VCDS. Also the fact that my indicators can be seen from the front of my car on the wing mirrors.

Dont really appreciate "rubbish being spouted" comment!

And yes I am under 25... With 6years NCB!

Last edited:

A reason to put the driving age limit up to at least 25!
:yes:

I stopped the DRL dimming with indicators on my A3 and drove it like that for around 2 years, and guess what, I never once had a problem with someone not seeing my indicator!

I will probably do the same on my MK6 GTI too when my VCDS cable arrives tomorrow.

Oh and yes I am under 25. Oh dear!

I think the dimming whilst indicating is a good thing. I feel it also shows Audi's attention to detail too. I also think that it catches my eye more, as you notice the DRL dimming, then the indicator flashing so anything out the ordinary is more likely to get noticed.

Reactions: Paullie
Depends on your POV!
Talking about aesthetics versus road safety with aesthetics seemingly more important:- 'Hey, look at me with my chav-look Audi!' is simply rubbish. I thought I was coming into a better world from Peugeot/Citroen to Audi, but apparently not. :ohmy:

72, 54years NCB.....and 4 million miles.

Reactions: RedDejavu
I think the dimming whilst indicating is a good thing. I feel it also shows Audi's attention to detail too. I also think that it catches my eye more, as you notice the DRL dimming, then the indicator flashing so anything out the ordinary is more likely to get noticed.

I also think dimming on indicating is a good thing, which I believe Audi have the patent on. :wub: xx

Hey Phil, no I get you completely. I don't have auto lights, so just leave my light switch at DRL/sidelights setting (with this VCDS mo both are lit on the dial). Not sure if you can do the same with Auto lights, but maybe you could try changing the long coding, to see what happens. I'd be interested to know what your Byte 18 coding is at the moment. If it's 25 like mine, try changing it to 26. :wub: xx

Ill try it when I go back to my tuner, Thanks

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you

p.s - because on dull days when it's not dark enough to run full beams without looking like a Renault, and it's a little too dull not to be showing off the beautiful tail-lights, I like to run the DRL's and tail-lights together :)

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you

p.s - because on dull days when it's not dark enough to run full beams without looking like a Renault, and it's a little too dull not to be showing off the beautiful tail-lights, I like to run the DRL's and tail-lights together :)

Exactly the same reasoning behind me wanting to do this in the first place also :icon_thumright:. :wub: xx

Sorry? Road safety? I think you will find I am one of the safest drivers about pal...

Have you had personal experience of seeing an A3 with and without DRL dimming on indicators? Well I have, and I know what it looks like!

As far as I'm concerned, the DRLs are not bright enough to stop any other road user from seeing my indicators. It is a comfort function that I know can be altered via VCDS. Also the fact that my indicators can be seen from the front of my car on the wing mirrors.

Dont really appreciate "rubbish being spouted" comment!

And yes I am under 25... With 6years NCB!

no offence to you mate but just to say its not you to judge if youre safe driver or not:] Down to other road users I presume. And I agree drl's dimming is for a reson to improve safety and assure everyone even someone in older age can see you indicating.

Incidentally, I wouldn't say anyone is messing with the "road safety" on their car they are simply putting it in a different continent mode, if it was deemed dangerous it wouldn't be there (especially as it's German!)

Incidentally, I wouldn't say anyone is messing with the "road safety" on their car they are simply putting it in a different continent mode, if it was deemed dangerous it wouldn't be there (especially as it's German!)

I agree Icehanger, ..let's face it, all this mod is is Scandinavian Mode - DRL's front and rear - which Volvos have been running for as long as I can remember. It IS an actual option in VCDS for Sportback versions to select this and it should be no different for 3 door A3/S3's. All I have done is let people know how to activate the same option on their 3 door cars. I personally wouldn't wish to stop my DRL's from dimming when my indicators are on, because I think it's good that the indicators are made more visible. :wub: xx

It's only there after you've ******** about with it! It don't come from t'factory like that, I'm sure. :(
Different rules for different countries.....

European Motor vehicle legislation for new vehicles covers UK and Scandinavia.......also I think it's covered by the dreaded German TUV.:think:

There is no law which covers lights except the one that covers some European country's (and should come in over here) which states the lights must be switch on whenever the vehicle is moving (I think between October and April), and for Scandinavia (because it's a bit up north) lights must be permanently switched on whenever the ignition is on.... which we have activated.

Ergo nothing illegal has been done or anything that would fail an MOT or roadside check by VOSA:moa:

Incidentally DRL will be mandatory on all new cars shortly...time for sunglasses for you I think

Last edited:
MY Central Electrics (8P0907279N) appears to be different. Could that be right? Byte 18 here -

4453-byte18centralelectrics.JPG

and byte 0 here -

4452-byte1centralelectrics.JPG

'Incidentally DRL will be mandatory on all new cars shortly...'

Vehicles from January had to have them fitted under EU regs, but there use is not mandatory in UK law....

So you can turn them off if you're polite.
:cool:

The highway code states:-

You MUST NOT
  • use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
That's me!!!!!!!

Myself, I'd have them self-destruct along with the ignorant driver. :idea:

I've never yet been dazzled by a car with factory fitted DRLs.

I see a lot of people with aftermarket DRLs and accompanying badly-aligned xenons... I think maybe people are confusing the two.