"Side lights" light on dash not coming on?

JDM82

Reaction score
OK guys, not sure if it ever did to be honest but I noticed this evening that the green "side light" light on my dash to tell you there on doesn't come on. The side lights are on just the dash lights don't show it. All the dial lights, interior bits and bobs ie the window switches, the buttons on my MFSW etc all come on just not the little green lights on the dash.

Does anyone else have this? Are they ment to come on? I know they do on all other makes but Audi always make things different don't they.

Could it be the fact I have aftermarket DRL headlights fitted? I don't seem to be able to remember if they came on when I had my standard headlights.

All the other dash warning lights come on OK just the lights on ones don't.

mine only come on with full light's
sides dont show anything only next to the headlight switch

They don't even work with the headlights on. Guess it's just one of those things. I was hoping it was a simple fuse or something. It baffles me how all the other warning lights around them work but not them. I wonder if it is because of the aftermarket lights?
Oh well, its nothing I can't live with.

might be a dodgey bulb
i know you cant change them easy
but they can be done as i had an airbag light go on a b6

What is easy with an Audi :wacko:

Its not a major thing, i'll just have to put a lid on my OCD and not let it bug me til I finally give in and spend a fortune getting it fixed when really its nothing.

As stated in a privious post there's no side lights indicator in the dash on my A4. There is a green symbol on the light switch to say the lights are on then with the lights on if you switch on the main beam a blue symbol comes on to tell you that the main beam is on

I've never had anything different and was unaware that Audi put side light indicators in the dash could be wrong though

But that's how its in my car for you

Failing that if there should be a green light side light indicator then as stated the bulb probably has gone

I assume you mean the light in the centre of the dashboard directly behind the steering wheel and not the light directly above the headlight switch to the right of the steering column? If so this can be enabled via VAGCOM. Tired it with mine but in the end I didn't like the light there so I disabled it again. It's less than a 5 minute job if you know someone with VCDS. But by default (in the UK atleast) it's disabled from the factory.

As Murphy says, they are disabled at factory for the UK. I reenabled mine in VCDS, dead quick.

Last edited:
OK guys, not sure if it ever did to be honest but I noticed this evening that the green "side light" light on my dash to tell you there on doesn't come on.
The standard factory coding on the B7 doesn't enable the sidelight warning on the instruments (don't know why).

It's easily changed with VCDS (I did it on my B7 RS4 within a month of getting it in 2006), see Audi A4 (8E) Instrument Cluster (8EC/8ED/8HE) - Ross-Tech Wiki

The relevant line is this one:

• 00??xxx: Options I
    • +00 = 1. K-Number (Europe/USA/Rest of World)
    • +01 = Smaller Fuel Tank Volume (All-Wheel-Drive)
    • +02 = Side Marker Lights Indicator Lamp inactive
    • +04 = 3. K-Number (Rental Cars)
    • +08 = 2. K-Number (Australia)
    • +16 = Clutch Pedal Switch Operation in FIS Display

Ah so there not ment to be on eh. Thats's good to know. Thanks guys :icon_thumright: