Side light bulbs on A3 SPORTBACK

grey99

Reaction score
Whats the easiest way to change the side light bulbs. Went to the dealer not much other than you have to get your hands right inside the holder and pull the plug. Well you must have ****** small hands then?

Thanks i will give that a go but b4 i found it hard to get your fingers in.

I have read some posts where others have removed the airbox and other ancillaries to get better access, but it is possible with just fingers if you persist!

It is possible to just find the side light cable and pull to change the bulbs that's what I did. And I don't have particually small hands. Getting it back in is the same just find the hole and wiggle it around intil it clicks (yes yes I'm still talking about the bulbs!!).

wilko said:
It is possible to just find the side light cable and pull to change the bulbs that's what I did. And I don't have particually small hands. Getting it back in is the same just find the hole and wiggle it around intil it clicks (yes yes I'm still talking about the bulbs!!).

That's exactley what I did to.....

wilko said:
Apparently they cause issues with DIS thinking that they are always blown.
Correct - however, I have seen load resistors for sale which you connect across the bulb (i.e. between the 12V power source and an earth point) which overcomes this problem. Have a look at this item on eBay.

I reckon if you work out the exact resistance a standard 12V/21W bulb generates, you could buy a matching resistor from somewhere like Maplin for just a few pence and use this with LED bulbs. Anyone good with maths, or do I have to dig out my old school text books? :D

Oh right... this would solve that problem and get rid of those annoying not perfect white side lights! Yippee