SIDE FACING GEARSTICK MOD TO FRONT FACING

Zaf12

Reaction score
Hi i am thinking of performing the side facing gearstick to front facing gearstick conversion on my audi a7.

Did anybody try it and was it a straightforward thing as alot of folk i have spoken to have said not to bother as its quite risky.

I am based in west yorkshire so if you know anybody that has done it or can do it ten please can you recommend them.

Thank you

Hi mate
Yes have done it and it's really easy to be honest.
Be way is to get someone to slowly heat with a heat gun moving horizontal all the time as to not burn or melt the plastic tip as you slowly twist.
Just take your time with it and its a peice of cake.
Hope that helps.

BD55 SOL

Do you lift it up and twist as you heat it or do you just heat it and twist it gently as it is sat in place within the metal shaft? Also do you heat the metal shaft or the actual plastic bit itself.

I did fiddle around with the plastic shaft and it was moving up and down as it should

Do you lift it up and twist as you heat it or do you just heat it and twist it gently as it is sat in place within the metal shaft? Also do you heat the metal shaft or the actual plastic bit itself.

I did fiddle around with the plastic shaft and it was moving up and down as it should
No just twist the plastic tip. Don't lift and twist just twist as it sits in situ. I wouldn't heat the metal shaft as it could cause the plastic to melt further down than needed.

BD55 SOL

Sorry to be a pain by the pastic tip do you mean the bit thats exposed when you remove the gearstick trim or the plastic tip with the actual side facing hole?

Any chance you could provide a picture of the bit i need to heat. Apologies for the questions just don’t want to damage it and fork out loads

No problem mate thats what the forums are for.
Theres a small bit of plastic that sits above the metal shaft, the tip that kind of looks like a needle. Thats the only bit you need to heat and turn. Don't lift it up as as you stated it goes up and down just leave it in situ. Heat that and twist and jobs a gooden

BD55 SOL

Sorry dont have any pics as was done a while ago. Its an easy install i just followed the instructions from another thread on here.

BD55 SOL

Thanks buddy will give it a try on the weekend. How long did you heat it up for?

Im not sure but it wasn't long. Just take your time, heat and slow twist. When its ready it'll go.
Again just take your time.

BD55 SOL

Thanks for all your help will try it on the weekend.

Reactions: BD55SOL
Take pics for future modders

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Managed to heat the gearstick and twist it into the forward facing position, however the rs gearstick i am fitting has the gear release locked. And when i try to fit it on wont rngage with the internal pin and i cannot push the button to release it. Is this because the gearstick button is already locked in place which it shouldnt have been??

Managed to heat the gearstick and twist it into the forward facing position, however the rs gearstick i am fitting has the gear release locked. And when i try to fit it on wont rngage with the internal pin and i cannot push the button to release it. Is this because the gearstick button is already locked in place which it shouldnt have been??

When I did this mod on my previous A7, I learnt the hard way.....

1. You can release the knob lock, but it’s quite tricky, I used an “L” shaped tool to release, then pulled the actual button out and pus a piece of plastic to keep the button raised while fitting.

2. Not all knobs nobs are equal. This is especially true if your fitting an RS knob as they all look the same, but the internal button is different as some of the gearbox levers have slightly different release mechanisms. I purchased and RS one from eBay for my A7 thinking it would fit. Turned out to be from an RS5, and had to destroy it to remove after it got jammed and couldn’t shirt the lever. Nightmare. Ended up buying new from the dealer.

Good luck with the change over. It’s a small mod, but makes a difference when you only have two touch points on the car (wheel and gearknob) :racer: