Shutdown of local DVLA offices.

Ultra Violent

Reaction score
I know this probably isn't new news to most people, but the DVLA has closed all local offices.
All enquiries will now go through DVLA Swansea.
I'm just in the process of changing over my private plate, so just found out recently.
Normally I could go to the local office, which is Carlisle for me, do the transfer on the day
but now it all goes to Wales and can take up to 6 weeks.

So be warned, if you have to use the DVLA for transfers and the likes, be prepared to wait.

It was announced a while ago and all of the local office are now gone, so as you say it all goes to Swansea and will take alot longer!!

I had to take a car to DVLA Chester for a check after it was imported from Ireland (cant remember the exact reason) - it was a little like a VIC check.
Would this mean I would have to cart it to Swansea for the same reason if I would have needed to do it now?
Ridiculous.

I would guess so, unless there are designated garages scattered around to do this sort of thing, i think that would make more sense as if you were not local to Swansea, would it not be a case of driving a car not yet legally registered??

Im sure there would be some sort of legalities involved.

I recently did a plate change, eight days it took from posting to getting every thing back, quit impressed

I sent my photo and paper liecence away to be updated in February and i still haven't had it back.

My plate transfer took 7 days with a bank holiday in the middle. Didn't think that was bad to be honest.

I sent my photo and paper liecence away to be updated in February and i still haven't had it back.

I would defo follow this up and chase it with them, the onus is on you to ensure that everything is in order in terms of documentation and license etc, so if you do get stopped by the Police, it will be you unfortunately that gets it in the neck.