Shudder whilst starting

leecool

Reaction score
Hi guy's / Ladies. I think I've posted my problem before, but anyway.

The problem I have is that when I turn the key in the ignition my engine shudders sort of violently. Sometimes the shudder is short & the car stars up. Other times (mainly when it's hot) I try to start & the engine shudders more violently & takes more times to get it going. Now the car drives like a peach, no probs there.
Audi did a diagnostic on my car & the printout said all ok, but computer couldn't communicate with the EGR valve tho, so new EGR valve needed. Now then, one of the mechanics does a bit on the side. He was on hols when my car went in for the diagnostic, so he didn't see the printout. What he did was, he tried to start my car a few times & he immediately said my flywheel is f****d! he said who the f**k told you it's the EGR? He said my EGR valve is vacuum operated & ain't prone to failure. What I don't understand is, when the car has its hissy fit & wont start off the key, a bit of throttle & she fires up. How come if the flywheel is knackered, does it turn over at all??
Please please any Audi experts out there, please can you send any info my way, I'm desperate!
thanks people in advance.
:sos:

From your description the problem is almost certainly a failing Flywheel. I am no mechanic but my understanding is that the flywheel plays an integral part in dampening the vibrations to the crankshaft, either on start-up or under load, transferring the torque smoothly to the wheels. The problem is likely to be excess flywheel movement causing a metal-on-metal chattering noise, in your case, on start-up.

If I were you I’d consider doing one of the following:-

Take out a post manufacturer warranty that fully covers these issues, leave it a few months, then take it back to Audi and explain the start-up issue, the unnecessary EGR replacement/cost and your warranty

Speak to your mechanical friend and ask him how much he would charge to replace the Flywheel

You haven’t mentioned what car you have but my money would be on a 140 A3 2L TDi with a Dual Mass Flywheel?? Good Luck Lee!

Update on shudder @ start up!
I have just had a new flywheel & timing belt fitted, guess what?! I still have a shudder on startup!!! My flywheel was shot & granted it has calmed a lot, bt it is still there & a little less frequent. Turn the key & it goes shudder shudder vroom & fine there after!
Is there anybody out there who can help me please? I'm going out of my mind & running out of money fast! The guy that did the work for me is a top ex-Audi mechanic, he is a bit stumped too! He is going to check out my starter motor the weekend, but I'm not confident of a fix. He said my egr valve is fine too. I'm going ****** crazy:blownose:
Heeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!

is it same when hot and cold ?

Hi, yes the problem is there no matter of temp. As I said I've just had the flywheel replaced 2.5 weeks ago. Could it be a faulty flywheel??
cheers in advance.