Shredded tyre

heliflyer

Reaction score
going out tonight up local bypass steady 80 all of a sudden loud noises pulls over almost straight away looked under the car front tyre was shredded for about an inch from inner wall, Thought the tyres were getting ready a while ago ill get another few hundred miles out of them i thought,wrong could have cost more than new tyres. so my words of the day are If you think your tyres are getting ready then change em Dont risk it ,F1 assemetrics will be on tommorow.cheers Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Count yourself lucky my friend...

My tyre blew out at 90mph and spun backwards into the barrier, then the front hit it, then it rolled down a ditch and we all walked away without a scratch!

2wdosj4.jpg

Since then, always brand new tyres and i check them when i wash the car for nails, bulges, pressure as well as the oil and usuall stuff!

Im sure that would have buffed out with a bit of elbow grease Kaz! ;)

LOL - you've been spending too much time on detailingworld.com

Scary thought - learnt a lot since and its always in the back of my head now

I've had 2 major problems with the tyres on my A3 now.

The first was after a 30 min run to the train station, pretty much flat out all the way there, stopped for 5 mins, set off again and as I hit a rather large roundabout doing 50-60 the rear left tyre just blew out, luckily there was no cars next to me as it sent me sideways.

Then over the last month or so my car has been making a knocking noise at about 80, then last week the front left tyre was losing pressure every day. Went to get it checked out, the entire inside of the inner sidewall had collapsed and it was just running on thread (not visible when the tyre was on the wheel), when they removed the tyre the wheel was just full of rubber dust and chunks of rubber.

I don't know if this is a common thing on A3s but I drive all my cars the same and the A3 is the one with the problems!

I've had 2 major problems with the tyres on my A3 now.

The first was after a 30 min run to the train station, pretty much flat out all the way there, stopped for 5 mins, set off again and as I hit a rather large roundabout doing 50-60 the rear left tyre just blew out, luckily there was no cars next to me as it sent me sideways.

Then over the last month or so my car has been making a knocking noise at about 80, then last week the front left tyre was losing pressure every day. Went to get it checked out, the entire inside of the inner sidewall had collapsed and it was just running on thread (not visible when the tyre was on the wheel), when they removed the tyre the wheel was just full of rubber dust and chunks of rubber.

I don't know if this is a common thing on A3s but I drive all my cars the same and the A3 is the one with the problems!

You are one lucky guyyyyy

Happened to me in the fast lane on the M5 just past Worcester, lucky i was doing about 40 in traffic! Off-side front went, replaced when i got to Nottm, then got near-side front replaced the week after (the same was about to happen). in hindsite, should have got both replaced at the same time! oh well.