Show us ya tints! Thinkin of gettin the S3 done...

will_b

Reaction score
Ive found a decent window tinting place right near where i live. Im not sure what tint grade to go for though. Anyone got any pics of their S3/A3 windows tinted?

:)

30% All-round :)

CIMG1186b.jpg
http://www.subodhabhatt.co.uk/Stag/CIMG1186b.jpg

what colour are your leathers Spuddie007?

Hmmmm, now there'sa question, I think they're Ivory or cream. No I'm not stooopid, just colour blind!

That looks good :)

Im considering 30% front and 50% at the rear sides & back but dunno if it will look a bit tacky...

Mine are 30%front and 70%(i think) rear and i think it looks good.

Not sure how it would look on any other colour than silver tho

Pentagon light smoke front, medium smoke rear 3/4 and rear screen

31052006005al9.jpg

How much did you all pay for ya tints?

Also isnt there a legal limit and im sure you told the insurance company?!

Legal limit is 30% front iirc, rears it doesnt matter

Insurance company.........

Well, tints are pretty easy to peel off should you ever need to for whatever reason

Oh and full car done for £100

I got a good contact for Pentagon tints in Barnet if you need it!

adigraham said:
How much did you all pay for ya tints?

Also isnt there a legal limit and im sure you told the insurance company?!

I paid £200 IIRC, and yes I have told my insurance company, and also about the other mods

Mine were just done by a guy that used to come into a showroom where i worked, have a look in some local classifieds or yellow pages etc £130-150 is probably an ok price to pay i would think.

There is no legal limit other than factory tint!

Saying that, I have the lightest tint available all round on mine. Unlikely I'll get pulled (hopefully) - they only look tinted in certain situations.

I got a good deal, I think, at £180 for the lot. Anything cheaper is a definate bonus, but make sure you check out the guys work before you book the car in. I've seen some bad 'professional' tints before.

rodenal said:
Legal limit is 30% front iirc, rears it doesnt matter

Insurance company.........

Well, tints are pretty easy to peel off should you ever need to for whatever reason

Yup that's the law alright, gonna get limo black on my back and 30% on the front. I'm a bit unsure if the 30% applies to the windshield too though?

Dark-ish tints all round, not sure on percentage as they were on the car when i bought it, never been pulled for em tho and have been pulled over in the S3 and nothing has been mentioned about the fronts being tinted..

CIMG01521_Large.jpg

I dont think you're allowed anything other than the lightest of factory tints on the front, the 30% doesnt apply as far as im aware

A friend of mine actually got took to magistrates court over factory fit tints!! Think he got away with it but took a lot of persuading!

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/Tinted Windows Nov 2005.pdf

What is excessively tinted glass?

Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 as amended
specify the minimum levels of light that must pass through the
windscreen and front side windows. The limits are:
Motor Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985:
The windscreen and front side windows must allow at least 70% of
light to be transmitted through them.
Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985:
The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
The front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be
transmitted through them.
If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light,
then the vehicle does not meet legal requirements.

Legally where do I stand?

If you are the driver -
- You must not drive a vehicle on the road with the windscreenor front side windows excessively tinted. You may also invalidate
your insurance with this modification, particularly as the vehicle
is likely to be illegal.
If you are a tinting company - - You must not modify, or offer to supply, a part that when fitted to a vehicle means that it does not comply with Construction & Use Regulations.
If you’re selling a vehicle with extra tinting applied to the windscreen or front side windows -
- The vehicle may now have glass that is darker than permitted by Construction & Use regulations, in which case the vehicle should
not be sold.

thanks for the replies and sorry for hijacking the thread - do any of you lot know any company near oxford please?

ChriS3 said:
There is no legal limit other than factory tint!

Saying that, I have the lightest tint available all round on mine. Unlikely I'll get pulled (hopefully) - they only look tinted in certain situations.

I got a good deal, I think, at £180 for the lot. Anything cheaper is a definate bonus, but make sure you check out the guys work before you book the car in. I've seen some bad 'professional' tints before.
I wanted tints all round, the company I took it too were very strict with the percentage your allowed for the driverside and passenger windows - and when they tested them, the factory fitted tints are actually illegal!! they said it was above the legal limit!! :faint: so they wouldn't tint them! :motz:

But I had limo tint for the backs and smoked the rear window. Not sure about percentage but I do have the invoice lying around. I think they look ok.
tints.jpg

Ming Blue said:
I wanted tints all round, the company I took it too were very strict with the percentage your allowed for the driverside and passenger windows - and when they tested them, the factory fitted tints are actually illegal!! they said it was above the legal limit!! :faint: so they wouldn't tint them! :motz:

But I had limo tint for the backs and smoked the rear window. Not sure about percentage but I do have the invoice lying around. I think they look ok.
tints.jpg

Looks good u got any more pics? Mines the same colour :)

nope, cos the fronts aren't tinted my car looks like a drug dealer van.. (according to my colleagues). doh! :rolleyes:

i just want light smoke all round, less like a boy racer as i am 34 and more like factory ...

i dont think my car looks boy racer :(

2569508960a3381903510b310233043l.jpg

Its at the point now that tints are almost the same as driving about with 'show plates', id rather not have them than risk getting 3 points for somthing you would get a warning for if nothing else on your car was at fault.

Hey guys I wasn't saying ya cars are chavvy or anything!

I just used to have an astra, swift gtis, honda crx etc which are the kind of cars Barry from Halfrauds has all done up like a kipper....

Audis have the class about them ;) Its all down to your own opinion of course!

I got stopped for German Style plates yesterday morning, got a £30 fine and I wasn't wearing a seat belt. Both my own fault. The traffic copper tested my windows with a light metre and they passed. £60 fine all-in and a producer :(

Luckily, I only went with smoke tints all-round as I was going to go darker!

spuddie007 said:
I got stopped for German Style plates yesterday morning, got a £30 fine and I wasn't wearing a seat belt. Both my own fault. The traffic copper tested my windows with a light metre and they passed. £60 fine all-in and a producer :(

Luckily, I only went with smoke tints all-round as I was going to go darker!

****** :(

Where abouts do u live?

Right ive booked it in for saturday. Still dont know what im doing though!

Im thinking 30% fronts and 70% backs now. I want to be able to have stuff in the back and people not see in but i dont want it to look chav-ish....!

how much are tints in your area?

got 2 places here do good job and both £150 each for every window.

wondered if anywhere is any cheaper?