Show me your....

James.Asbri

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
.... Marine/Tropical aquariums

I'm considering treating myself to a marine tank but I'm not convinced. With very little knowledge on aquariums they seem hard work, even more so for a marine over a tropical tank. Before I do purchase I know I'll need to extent my knowledge but I just want to see your tanks to sway and confirm my thoughts.

James, it is a big step to go straight into Marine/ Reef Keeping. May I suggest popping onto UltimateReef.net and spend some time reading/ researching. Marines take a lot of money & time to maintain. I am on our 3rd marine tank and each time I have gone bigger in size now running a 6ft SPS tank.

James, it is a big step to go straight into Marine/ Reef Keeping. May I suggest popping onto UltimateReef.net and spend some time reading/ researching. Marines take a lot of money & time to maintain. I am on our 3rd marine tank and each time I have gone bigger in size now running a 6ft SPS tank.
That's my thoughts. It's not something you can go into blind. If I'm going to do it, I want to do it properly and have enough knowledge to look after it without any worry! Have you any images of yours?

Dad has a tropical fish tank in the living room. It's about 5ft by 1.5ft. He's had it for about 12 years now. He's got a few parrots, silver dollars, and some piranha looking things. Up until last week he had this black cat fish/sucker type thing in there too, but that died :( That was my favourite. It looked awesome!

All I know is that it's not easy and they need constant care. I'll be round there end of the week and I'll take a snap or 2 for you.

Dad has a tropical fish tank in the living room. It's about 5ft by 1.5ft. He's had it for about 12 years now. He's got a few parrots, silver dollars, and some piranha looking things. Up until last week he had this black cat fish/sucker type thing in there too, but that died :( That was my favourite. It looked awesome!

All I know is that it's not easy and they need constant care. I'll be round there end of the week and I'll take a snap or 2 for you.
Cheers!

That's my thoughts. It's not something you can go into blind. If I'm going to do it, I want to do it properly and have enough knowledge to look after it without any worry! Have you any images of yours?

Bit of an old image as has been aquascaped since;

_DPG2182.jpg

very nice joe!

Im a windscreen fitter and can cut glass. Ive been thinking about making a tank for a while now.

I think ill go tropical if i do tho, ive heard that marine fish are hard to maintain and very expensive

definately go for tropical if you are new to it, far easier and cheaper and you can get plenty of nice fish if you look about hard enough

We used to have a beautiful 5ft tropical tank when I was a kid, my dad was really into the fish thing and we would always be getting lots of exotic looking fish, was a great feature in the house, as my dad hat it all fitted into the fittings of the room and people always commented on how nice it was.

If its yuor first venture into fishes, I would defo recommend tropicals to begin with as they are not as hard to look after and pretty straightforward once its all setup.

5ceafa57-53cd-e883.jpg

My 8ft-2ft-2ft sold it last year been gutted ever since so bought a 7ft-2ft-2ft last Sunday just building lid and stand atm.

5ceafa57-551b-b752.jpg

As said thoe if your just starting best goin freshwater then within a year you will know most things then you could turn your tank into a nice marine setup.

have kept both marine and tropical and both do have positive and negative sides. have kept 5 tropical and 2 marine tanks at one time and come from fish orientated family...
marine are great to look at, choice of fish are out of this world and the variants too colour are amazing but they are harder to care for unless you have a lot of time. my late father had a tank over 1000 litres. yes 1000 litres and when marine looked the nuts, but he fell ill and couldnt care as much as he use too, and me being me was always out mucking about wiv mates so i didnt help out (shamefull i know)
changed it to tropical and still look lovely and easier to keep and maintain, cheaper too.
ive alot of knowledge when it comes to fish keeping. but google the fish forums for help.
if it was me and a 1st or 1st major tank then stick to tropical.
get some knowledge , hang out in your local aquatics and chat to the staff and then once your confident with what you are doing then get a marine tank, live rock is expensive though so you will need to budget for that.
hope ive not put you off..

one of my cousins went out and bought a marine fish setup, not sure on size, capacity or contents but i know he spent £1k before buying the fish!!

anyway he got the tank all setup left it ten days to stabilise etc added the fish, was constantly checking everything all seemed ok, he went out for an hour or so came home, all dead, at least £300 worth of fish :(

that was the first and last time he tried keeping fish, im no expert (or ametuer to be fair) but theres not nothing in life where you willingly wanna jump into the deep end.

get tropical to start dude ;)

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated!

For now, think I'm going to widen my knowledge and leave it until I have my own pad.

PS Still keep the images flowing, they do amaze me!

Here's a quick one of one of my tanks.

tank.jpg

I'm crap with a camera, and I have a crap camera as well.:lmfao:

Here's some of my Clownfish young which I raised.

As said, Ultimate Reef will keep you occupied, also Salty Box.

Last edited by a moderator:
stunning.could stare at it for days.i know my limitations which is why i wont start!!

As has already been said marine are harder to keep that tropical but they are much more rewarding, don't be put of by them being difficult to keep, head over to ultimate reef though as Joe said, my dad is always on that site (Fred the fish) I think his username is lol he's got a few tanks now and doesn't really work out to expensive for any of us as he's got his own RO unit so don't need to buy water, funny enough the live rock is probably the most expensive thing you'll buy to go in the tank, as for my tank I've got a 5ft by 2ft by 2ft tank and I love it, just do your homework and be prepared to loose some livestock as everyone does at some point I've just lost one of my purple reef lobsters and I loved that thing it was great, but I'm sure you wil enjoy the hobby and it will give you something other than your car to spend money on lol.I'll get some pics up of mine when I get a bit of time, but ultimatereef is definatly the forum to be on, might even see pics of some of my dads tanks on there they are stunning. Anyway good luck and keep us posted.