Should we merge General and Automotive chat sections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
There have been a few observations on here that the forum is less busy than it used to be, personally it's only these sections which I've observed to be less busy. Depending on the type of member and what they're looking for depends how many visit these area's, as I know a lot of users only ever viisit their specific model section.

So if I could arrange it to merge the General and Automotive chat sections (as it used to be) would it be a good idea?

Please vote as you feel fit, but this isn't a thread to discuss whether the forum "is dying on not"!

Yes I believe they should be merged

I don't think they should be merged. I remember this idea was raised a while back and was decided against.

The main reason:

General Chat is for general chit chat about anything that is not car related.
General Automotive Chat for general chit chat about anything that is car related that doesn't fall within the other forums (e.g. not A3, A4, VAG, etc related).

I think it works well like this, even though they are a bit quiet.

The amount of threads I have moved from the General chat to the General Automotive chat suggests otherwise....

How many are you talking?? 1 in 10?? 1 in 20?? More? Less?
On the whole I think people understand the difference between the two sections.

If there is to be a change I think getting rid of the sub-sections in General Chat makes more sense.
Just lump 'jokes', 'youtube' and 'rants' all in 'general chat'.

The main reason:

General Chat is for general chit chat about anything that is not car related.
General Automotive Chat for general chit chat about anything that is car related that doesn't fall within the other forums (e.g. not A3, A4, VAG, etc related).

Ah ok - I did wonder what the difference was ....... ;)

In all seriousness, isn't it better to have one busier non specific chat area where we can discuss anything, whether its car related or not than its is to have several quieter individual sections.

I think Jokes and Youtube are ok with their own section, but maybe we could look to integrate the Rants and Raves section.

I was just looking through General Automotive and I'm even more convinced that it should be kept seperate from General Chat.

Most of the threads in General Auto are asking for car related advice/info of some sort, whereas General Chat is pretty much pure randomness about life/jokes/whatever.

Combining the two just doesn't make sense imo.

Don't merge, just get rid of the General Automotive Chat. There are relevant forums people can post on to ask the questions (that's if they can be bothered to look for it), and if they can't find it, then I'm sure you clever mods will be able to assist.

I was just looking through General Automotive and I'm even more convinced that it should be kept seperate from General Chat.

Most of the threads in General Auto are asking for car related advice/info of some sort, whereas General Chat is pretty much pure randomness about life/jokes/whatever.

Combining the two just doesn't make sense imo.

That's because the mods have move threads to the relevant sections....

yep both arent active enough to warrent separate sections

Reactions: paddy
Don't merge, just get rid of the General Automotive Chat. There are relevant forums people can post on to ask the questions (that's if they can be bothered to look for it), and if they can't find it, then I'm sure you clever mods will be able to assist.

Where would People ask questions about cars that are not VAG group?
If I had a question about the pug or patrol or someone had a question about their Nissan Prairie, where would they ask it?

The complete section of home tech is also quiet, why not just merge that lot in to 1 big section?

I dont like the idea of merging General and automotive chat together. Like Aythree said, they should be kept separate.
If any thing merge some of the sub sections together, Youtube and jokes in to 1 section, Rants & Raves merge in to General Chat, Cool wall and spotters in to General Automotive chat.

What difference does it make if a section is quiet?
Adding them together will not make the forum more busy but will make that one section look busier cause you've merge two semi busy sections together.
Its like closing 2 lanes of the M25 just cause they seem a bit quiet.

If I had a question about the pug or patrol or someone had a question about their Nissan Prairie, where would they ask it?

The complete section of home tech is also quiet, why not just merge that lot in to 1 big section?

I dont like the idea of merging General and automotive chat together. Like Aythree said, they should be kept separate.
If any thing merge some of the sub sections together, Youtube and jokes in to 1 section, Rants & Raves merge in to General Chat, Cool wall and spotters in to General Automotive chat.

What difference does it make if a section is quiet?
Adding them together will not make the forum more busy but will make that one section look busier cause you've merge two semi busy sections together.
Its like closing 2 lanes of the M25 just cause they seem a bit quiet.

So much sense, all in one post. :applaus:

I've voted no, I like things the way they are. Yes general chat might be a bit quiet, but it's where I go when I'm bored of answering 'what's a badger 5 TIP?' and other such questions/when I might of accidentally de-railed too many threads lol.

1 thing I would like to point out, is the number of posts with in the 8L and 8P sections that could fit in to other sections with in this forum.
Stereo section, Detailing, Projects and there are some others (I can get examples if you really want).
I've not looked in the A4 sections yet.

May be it will help make other sections be busy if the posts are in the wrong sections was moved in to the correct sections?

1 thing I would like to point out, is the number of posts with in the 8L and 8P sections that could fit in to other sections with in this forum.
Stereo section, Detailing, Projects and there are some others (I can get examples if you really want).
I've not looked in the A4 sections yet.

May be it will help make other sections be busy if the posts are in the wrong sections was moved in to the correct sections?

That is a valid point, as you know users tend to stick to the section they're comfortable with, be it B6, 8P or whatever, and they trust the judgement and opinions of the people they 'know' in there. I only frequent the B6 section really, and tend to take an objective point of view and leave some threads there that aren't strictly relevant for the sense of community they bring, if that makes sense. Maybe thats wrong, I dunno lol.

I'm in agreement with the 'Leave it as is'.

I live firmly by the motto 'If it's not broken, don't fix it'.

What are the benefits of doing this just out of interest? Are we talking server space constraints, or other fair technical issues? Or simply the fact that the mods are getting fed up with moving things about?

I personally have never used the general automotive chat area but that would be because i own an A3 and so use the A3 8P section.
The General chat area is more of a social area which is good the way it is, if anything merge in the sub sections of the general chat area so that more activity goes on there.

What are the benefits of doing this just out of interest? Are we talking server space constraints, or other fair technical issues? Or simply the fact that the mods are getting fed up with moving things about?

None of those, it came about from a discussion a week or so ago that the site (specifically the General Chat section I'm not sure?) wasn't as busy as it used to be (hence suggesting it was "broken"), so the idea was raised that if we merged the two sections they would be 'busier' as the threads would be all be bumped into one, and more traffic generates more chat.

:iagree: if it aint broke dont fix it

voted NO up the reverlution lol

None of those, it came about from a discussion a week or so ago that the site (specifically the General Chat section I'm not sure?) wasn't as busy as it used to be (hence suggesting it was "broken"), so the idea was raised that if we merged the two sections they would be 'busier' as the threads would be all be bumped into one, and more traffic generates more chat.

So then, to keep everyone happy, could you not merge the General Automotive Chat in as a sub section of general chat, along with Rants & Raves, etc.

That way, we keep our General Chat as is, everyone happy. General Automotive Chat then becomes it's own sub section, meaning that it does merge and thus become busier.

I have personally NEVER used the general automotive chat, I know some do.

I think this makes sense personally.

I personally have never used the general automotive chat area but that would be because i own an A3 and so use the A3 8P section.
The General chat area is more of a social area which is good the way it is, if anything merge in the sub sections of the general chat area so that more activity goes on there.

Just saw this, I agree, obviously.

Well then you're doing a good job. Keep up the good work.

Both sections are alive and well + flourishing. It all works fine so leave well alone :) If mods dont want to be bothered to maintain the site then get new mods :) Simples !

Reactions: Ads
Both sections are alive and well + flourishing. It all works fine so leave well alone :) If mods dont want to be bothered to maintain the site then get new mods :) Simples !

Who mentioned not being bothered to maintain the site as one of the reasons the change was suggested?

I've listed the reasons why the proposal was suggested, it was thought it might make the forum busier as some members felt it was "dying".

Who mentioned not being bothered to maintain the site as one of the reasons the change was suggested?

I've listed the reasons why the proposal was suggested, it was thought it might make the forum busier as some members felt it was "dying".

To be fair to paddy, I don't think he was saying this was one of the reasons for suggesting the change, but it does feel like some are in favour of it for that reason.

If I had a question about the pug or patrol or someone had a question about their Nissan Prairie, where would they ask it?...

The obvious answer would be in the Pug forums or Nissan forums... not AUDI. But I understand some members other half's/friends/whom ever might have that type of car, but generally, they wouldn't go to audi if they had a shed.

The obvious answer would be in the Pug forums or Nissan forums... not AUDI. But I understand some members other half's/friends/whom ever might have that type of car, but generally, they wouldn't go to audi if they had a shed.

No, they'd go to a B&Q* if they had a shed not a car forum!!

*Other DIY shops, shed suppliers and shed fixers are available.

I'm going to have to say..........NO!

I know iv been away from asn for the last month or so mainly due to work commitments and the like but was realy looking forward to visiting the old asn pub for a catch up.. if this was merged I'd be scrolling through a load of irrelevant blerb about motors... Same goes vice versa.

Keep it separate keep it clean.

Bit of a bump here for the last week of voting!

I know it was met with some opposition, but have a think on this, despite the resistance to the idea of merging the two, in the last couple of days alone, these threads have all been started which 'technically' are chat about automotive subjects are they not?

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/general-chat/121548-whats-longest-you-have-driven-without-stopping.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/general-chat/121456-no-new-plate-me.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/general-chat/121573-bying-car.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/genera...-rover-freelander-good-bad-idea-opinions.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/general-chat/121542-wee-saturday-morning-drive.html

Had they been moved then that would probably have been the death of them! Just a thought ....

Keep them seperate.
Move the threads that are in the wrong section to the correct section.
Do the same for all the threads that are in the A3, A4 and other forums to their correct section.

EDIT:=- [Semirant mode] I feel if mods would do more than just lock posts and move posts to their correct sections (general chat and automotive) then these sections would be alot more lively. Like previously stated. Alot of people will stick to their own car sections and not bother venturing out in to the rest of the wide open forum because they can do their general chat or general automotive chat with in their 8# (sorry 8# boys not picking you but is a prime example) sections so no need to leave their comfert zone. [/semirant mode]

oo cookie!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.