1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should the hand brake come on automatically when you switch off engine

sunshinewelly Sep 4, 2018

1. sunshinewelly

sunshinewelly Active Member

I am sure my car (S4) used to do this but now i have to push the button to switch on handbrake.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Parklife

Parklife Active Member

Mine comes on automatically most of the time. There are occasions where it doesn't though.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

4. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Quite, this has been noted before to be random but certain conditions have to be met first...

5. shadenville

shadenville New Member

Anyone know what, as mine never does it - and I’d like it to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Startfromthetop

Startfromthetop New Member

Interested in the conditions too.

Wife’s golf mk7.5 (so awfully similar) does it all the time.

My A4, with autohold, does it at best occasionally.

Seems an incline triggers it.

7. mojo555

mojo555 Active Member

My new S4 doesn't do it at all, my S3 did and my golf R did, both without fail every time with engine switch off or open door or take seatbelt off

8. mojo555

mojo555 Active Member

It really annoys me the S4 doesnt

9. cuke2u

My previous A3 did as does my current A4. The conditions that need to be met are within your car's manual..

10. pierreluigi88

pierreluigi88 Active Member Team Mythos Team V6 Audi S4 It's my birthday

You can set it with OBDEleven so that park and handbrake are always applied when you turn the engine off

rasA4 and RJ-8V like this.
  11. terminator x

terminator x Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team V6 Audi RS4

When parked up I press Park which seems to engage P but not handbrake. I mostly always have to press that too.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Mortey

Mortey New Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group Manual

I put a post about this a month or so ago. It seems to be down to how much you push the brake pedal.

I pulled slowly into a space went into a shop only to be called as my car had rolled forward and hit a barrier. It was lucky the barrier was covered in some advertising so there was no damage, but you would think this should be a standard thing.

14. cuke2u

Pressure on the brake pedal makes no difference to the randomness on mine.

15. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Well-Known Member Team Glacier Silver Supporter saloon TDi Audi A4 quattro S-line owners group S tronic

Doesn't it automatically come on when you take your seatbelt off?

16. Mortey

Mortey New Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group Manual

Definitely not when you take your seat belt off, I had got and started looking in a shop when it happened to me!

I have found if I am going really slow and only lightly apply the brake automatic handbrake does not come on and so when you switch it off the hand brake doesn't either.

17. cuke2u

It is when you turn off the engine with the button, athough, if you are wearing your seatbelt, it will come one when you open the drivers door..

18. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Active Member

I just turn the engine off, car goes automatically into park, never use the handbrake unless I was parking on a very steep hill

19. terminator x

terminator x Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team V6 Audi RS4

I just stopped, no handbrake light. When I opened the door though it illuminated.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

20. cuke2u

A very quick way to destroy the park pawl by placing unecessary strain on the hook and its mechanism. You are placing the weight of the car on to a tiny piece of metal locked in a gear..

21. Evil Derboy

Evil Derboy Active Member Team Daytona Audi RS5 Owners Group

Agreed. Fine if on a level surface but not recommended on a slope.

22. Evil Derboy

How? I’ve got OBDEleven and would like to do this.

23. Concerned Cat

Concerned Cat Age & treachery will always overcome youth & skill Team Ibis Audi Avant Owner Group

Last car, VW lasted nearly 60k with no problems putting in park. Stronger than you think.

24. pierreluigi88

pierreluigi88 Active Member Team Mythos Team V6 Audi S4 It's my birthday

25. Evil Derboy

pierreluigi88 likes this.
  26. cuke2u

Well it's your call however you are placing unnecessary strain upon the parking mechanism and the gearbox...

27. Mortey

I think there is a difference between manual and automatic here. I have a manual and it will not automatically apply the handbrake unless I firmly apply the brake so the hill hold comes on, it will then apply the parking brake.

Mine needs its first oil service next month so I will ask them, also about the ticking I seem to get, even though the engine, cooling and stereo is completely off....

28. ub7rm

ub7rm Active Member

I have an auto and as far as I can tell it has never automatically put the handbrake on when I switch it off. I don't have hill hold - i wonder if this is relevant.

My mk7 golf applies the handbrake everytime I switch the engine off.

29. cuke2u

Life must be so boring for those where everything works perfectly ;-)