Should my DV sound like this with S2000 filter fitted

Cheers for the reply Lavis, this is the first mod I've done to the car so everything is standard including the DV.
To be honest I wasn't expecting any type of blow off noise at all as I'm presuming the standard DV blows the air back into the maf.

sound the exact same as mine when I dumped the standard air box , :rock: , oh and I replaced the standard dv with a performance one and the two sounded the same , so I would say no it not knackered :icon_thumright:

Thanks Jim and Dave, at least I know the DV isn't toast anyhow. I'll check the pipe on my dinner and get back with my finding ;)

Checked all the pipes from the N75 and all are good.
Thought I'd better check the pipes from the DV. I noticed the top one had a split as I moved it slightly this happened.
tanure8y.jpg

I've now replaced it but I didn't get chance to check if the blow off sound had changed. Going to give it a blast after work. Fingers crossed 😬

Last edited:
Well it still sounds the same when revving but under load it sounds much better, you can hardly hear the blow off unless you floor it, if nothing else at least I tided the cold air intake up and managed to get the heatsink as close as I could to the inlet, plus it pulls much better now lol.
I'd still like to know if it should sound like this though, then at least I know if it needs rectifying or not.
http://youtu.be/gQshWCPsPwc

That sounds like the DV isnt opening and air is going back across the turbo, i have the same filter, give me ten mins ill do a video.

It shouldn't have any fluttering noise, if you do get a blow off noise it should be one whoosh, not a fluttery Japanese style blow off valve type noise.

Reactions: Prawn
That sounds like I thought it should sound to be honest Machine, beefy-whoosh. I was a bit disappointed at first when I fitted the filter so cheers for the vid mate it's a massive help. All I need now is to know whether the standard diverter can be stripped down for investigation, I'm pretty sure I've seen a service kit for them. Then again I might have been looking at something else.
Thanks again lavis !!!

Oem dv's are around 30 quid, doubt they are sevicable though. Id buy one to confirm its ok.
Have you checked that pipe thoroughly it looks old and perished.

Your DV is gone. needs replacing. Same happened to my S3 when i put the S2k filter on. Got another DV from Audi directly for ~£30 IIRC, swapped them over - low and behold - normal whooshing sound returned.

Just phone your local Audi and they'll either have the part in or get it next day, 5 minute job.

Reactions: Tunny
I've check all the pipes, I've replaced the one that looks perished, so jobs a good un that confirms it I'll replace the DV asap. I'll post a reply to confirm it worked out for me as there maybe others with the same issue.
Thanks again to all, your help is hugely appreciated !!!

Yeah let us know how you get on mate, i'm 100% that's what it'll be - the diaphragm inside the OEM DV splits as it perishes over the years and causes the fluttering sound you hear!

Will do, great explanation Will, I can't wait to get it sorted now. I've only had the A3 a few weeks and other that fitting my JVC head unit (which is the reason I joined Audi-sport initially) this is the first mod I've done. Love it regardless of the flutter :) good job I decided to go for the S2k mod as I would have never known about the fault. Happy days

Reactions: Lavis89 and s3dave
Good luck, hopefully it should fix your issue, it sounds pretty typical of a DV fail, of all the parts that are a common failure on these cars at least you got one of the cheaper ones!

sounds like a failled DV to me.

If you've fixed the dodgy VAC pipe and it still sounds like that, then the DV has failled.

Get it sorted, you'll get less silly noises, more power, and better fuel economy!

as has been said, that's broke! should sound like machine's, and like mine...

http://www.toon-ring.co.uk/s3.mp4

although mine is the badger 5 v3 TIP & JR Filter, with a forge 007p

Thats sounds awesome, I have a s2000 air filter, standard DV and standard TIP, and my APY doesn't whoosh like yours:(

But im glad lad to say, I have a badger 5 v3 tip in the post :blush:

Anyone have any advice on the v3 installation??

I second that it sounds great ToonRing.
To be fair Prawn I didn't think it was too bad on juice but bonus if it ups the mpg too. Winner

As the others have said. Your standard DV is knackered, happened to me. get a forge 007p or an eBay rep £35 (had this on my old A3) and you will get a small 'whoosh' and no fluttering noises.

Cheers I ordered one from my local Audi dealer today and I'll be picking it up tomorrow 😀
I was a bit confused with the part numbers though as the number on the DV fitted to the car is 034 145 710 C but when I rang Audi and gave them my reg and vin he said this one is listed for mine 06 A145 710N (http://www.stokeaudi-parts.co.uk/products/Audi-710N-Turbo-Pressure-Relief-Dump-Valve.html) I took his advice anyhow and ordered the 710n plus I've also read many on here have also used this part number

http://youtu.be/cDvo8gDJPmQ

Fitting and running great. It does only have a slight blow off sound when driven but that suits me and to be honest that's what I was hopping for (keeps the misses from giving me stick )
Cheers for the help again folks

Reactions: willh92
Thats sounds awesome, I have a s2000 air filter, standard DV and standard TIP, and my APY doesn't whoosh like yours:(

But im glad lad to say, I have a badger 5 v3 tip in the post :blush:

Anyone have any advice on the v3 installation??

Thanks! I also have the sound deadening removed from the underside of the bonnet, which makes it marginally louder. Im used to old ford RS Turbos, so to me, this is really quiet lol

the V3 was an easy fit, the only thing I would say, is that I had to trim about an inch or so off at the MAF end, to avoid having a kink in the hose, but I believe this is normal procedure for some installations :)

You should've just put a 007p DV on it, a lot more reliable than the standard an only £20-30 more. You may even find one on eBay for cheaper, if I'd have seen ur post earlier I had a standard one off my old S3 you could've had for nowt.

You should've just put a 007p DV on it for bling factor, it's also been proven to fail a lot more than the standard one and only £20-30 more to get those extra scene points. You may even find one on eBay for cheaper than that, which will probably have the old piston design that will leak over time - which is why Forge have re-designed it and they will be happy to sell you a valve service kit to replace the old design at more cost

Edited For Accuracy and basically sums up a lot from 16Klappe's link - what can I say.....I'm a bit bored at work

If you can get a 007P for cheapish and with the updated piston design then do it- but the OEM valve works perfectly well.

Reactions: russwuss
Each to there own opinion m8, I haven't had an 8l for donkeys so no need for a DV, when I had one the 007p I was always told was better. If it's now been found not to be then stick with the standard obviously. U can pick yellow spring ones up for £45 on fleebay or u could as I said not needed to look for one or into for ages!

No qualms mate

It is amazing how marketing from companies can sway you into believing this that and the other is the best to grab your money. I fell victim to the Split R tbh when I first took ownership of an 8L S3 some 6 years ago now - but soon learnt they are most definitely not the best for the 1.8t motor.

Until proper R&D is done over a long period of time and across many different motors is completed then I am very hesitant in buying/fitting modified parts now.

In this instance, it's something that Forge didn't expect either from the 007P- and I jumped on the band wagon immediately after the piston and seal was found to be the prone for leaking and for a short period of time Forge were sending the service kits which included the newly redesigned piston out free of charge to existing customers with leaky valves. Since then they now charge people for the pleasure of having to fix the leak. If anyone were to buy a brand new 007P then they all come with it now- but the ones that have been hanging around for a while will have the old design in them.

Cheers for the offer yuley regardless of the lateness, I'm glad I bought new though as delivery was next day plus I needed to be 100% sure it was going to leak free.
Interesting read Klappe, I'm more than happy with the 710n, extremely smooth and really responsive acceleration.
The main reason I opted to use this DV is I didn't want an obvious oooooooosh (getting a bit old for that now lol) plus I had a baileys on my 306 Dts, many moons ago, which got on my tits after about a week.
After reading through the thread you provided I'm well chuffed.

The thing is there's probably shed loads of 1.8t owners with no mods at all with no idea if there DV is faulty or not, I didn't realise until I disconnected the standard air filter and gave it a rev. :idea:

Any recirculation valve is going to sound the same, unless you change the boost pressure and it ends up dumping more air.

The reason the standard valve works so well with our car is because that's what it was designed to have.

The rubber seal is a better seal than the Forge, the spring is softer so it opens with less effort and gives a quicker release of pressure, and because of the smooth opening and closing and rubber seal it closes just as fast and seals instantly.

My old car ran a 710n and an S2000 filter after lots of messing about, and I still don't think anybody has had more power out of a K03s on here yet.

Spring pressure does change the sound. from a slow lazy woosh to a short sharp one depending on how stiff the spring it.

New forge valves with the O-ring seal up just fine, although there's really nothing wrong with a good new standard one.

Personally, i'd still run the forge, as I believe even new standard ones will split in time.

mine sounded like this until replacing a couple of pipes and the dv, I kinda liked it, but it wasn't right.

Mine sounded like it for 6 months before I knew there was anything wrong with it!

I had mates with Ford Cosworth stuff running no DV at all, so the compressor stall sound seemed normal at the time!