Should i worry about the chain problems on a 3.2?

Andy4k6

Reaction score
As per my new member post I’m about to sell my current car and move to an A3 3.2 (Pref S Line with the full body kit) approx 2004 with between 60000 and 90000 miles on the clock.

After looking online I’m aware of the problems with the cam chain and as I’m buying a 6 year old car with a good few miles on I don't want the problem especially as I will have to keep the car for about 5 years before I’ll be able to change it.

I'm not so concerned about the labour cost as I’m a qualified mechanic and will do it myself, it's the £900 for parts that worries me.

Am I worrying about nothing or should I look for another car all together? ( unable to have any of the FSI engines as I want to convert to LPG)

Many thanks

Andy

Would be money well spent in my opinion if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time. Hell of alot of car you will be getting. As long as its got Full Service History etc. You can get the chains checked via vagcom so that can give you an idea on how they are wearing. Mine will need doing soon but its a price im willing to pay.

Good luck deciding

Problem solved! Buy mine - 2004 S-Line DSG with Votex kit, 67K on the clock and 4K worth of new engine parts already fitted. You knows it makes sense :D

Problem solved! Buy mine - 2004 S-Line DSG with Votex kit, 67K on the clock and 4K worth of new engine parts already fitted. You knows it makes sense :D

That would all depend on how much you want for it and all the details :)

Send me a PM, however it's going to be 6-8 weeks before i'm ready to buy as i can't sell my car or remove it's install before it's final show at the end of the month.

Andy

Would be money well spent in my opinion if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time. Hell of alot of car you will be getting. As long as its got Full Service History etc. You can get the chains checked via vagcom so that can give you an idea on how they are wearing. Mine will need doing soon but its a price im willing to pay.

Good luck deciding

Hmm, didn't know i could check that with vagcom, any idea if i can test it with the snap on tester?

How long do they normally last before they need changing?

Andy

That would all depend on how much you want for it and all the details :)

Send me a PM, however it's going to be 6-8 weeks before i'm ready to buy as i can't sell my car or remove it's install before it's final show at the end of the month.

Andy

a3clean1.jpg

a3clean2.jpg

a3clean3.jpg

Black/white interior, RNS-E Sat Nav, Flat Bottom Steering wheel, Bluetooth.

My plan is to put standard rims back on and remove the coilovers, but happy to leave the coilovers on.

Open to offers on the car, and in no rush to sell.

Let me know if you're interested...

a3clean4.jpg

Looks lovely....

Someone stop Pete from selling.. :bye:

Car does indeed look gorgeous and very very well kept. Makes me feel like I should give my car a wash now...

I wouldn't worry about the chain problem as long as you are aware of the possibility and what to look for i.e. rattles from behind the chain cover and use vag com blocks 208/209 to check the value (over 8 is bad news) although I wouldn't put too much weight behind them as mine was well within tolerance.
Parts will only come to £900 if you changed the vvt's etc. The chain itself is only £60ish( there are 2 but the bottom one doesn't need doing) and you will need to change the guides and tensioners to be on the safe side.
Cover yourself by buying from a dealer for a little bit more or alternatively buy Pete's as it is a stunning example with ALL the work already done.
You won't be dissapointed with the 3.2 though as the engine is sublime especially with dsg.
I'm currently stuck in a 1.6 while the exhaust is fixed and miss it like crazy, came down to earth with a bang when I pulled out of the garage on Wednesday night.............definately prefer bhp to mpg!

Your car does look mint mate! I love the wheels too!

However i'm guessing it's way above my budget (upto 6.5k) and i was looking for a mostly standard car ( didn't notice your sig at first).

So it looks like i need to get a copy of vagcom and check the car out properly then, if the maximum i sould look at is 8 what would a mint condition chain measure 2-3? At what limit / number would the ecu bring on the mil lamp for timing problems?

Thanks again

Andy
sorry if my replys look odd i'm at work posting via my phone.

Your car does look mint mate! I love the wheels too!

However i'm guessing it's way above my budget (upto 6.5k) and i was looking for a mostly standard car ( didn't notice your sig at first).

So it looks like i need to get a copy of vagcom and check the car out properly then, if the maximum i sould look at is 8 what would a mint condition chain measure 2-3? At what limit / number would the ecu bring on the mil lamp for timing problems?

Thanks again

Andy
sorry if my replys look odd i'm at work posting via my phone.

Cheers. The wheels will be coming off, and happy to put the original suspension on. I would be looking for more than £6.5K though.

It has had the chains/VVT solenoids/etc. done - £4K of work, so engine should be bullet proof.

Thanks anyway Pete but i'm stretching my budget at 6.5k as it is, However i really don't think you will have a problem selling such a good example.

Going back to the chain problems has anyone here ever changed them personally (i.e not paid a garage to do it)?

Would be good to know a bit more about the job.

Andy

My chains will be done in the next few months at our friends Audi Independant garage. Big job with partial removal of the Quattro and dropping the DSG but hopefully cheaper than the Dealers! Chains themselves arnt too dear but you will also need the tensioners and sprockets done at the same time, takes a while to do but I will be there watching and helping lol.