Should I Wait For The A3 Facelift?

Splathead

Reaction score
Dilema Time.

After suggestions on good Dealers from members of this forum, I now have deals that I am happy with for the purchase of a new S3.

However, I have one nagging doubt in the back of my mind. Although Dealers deny it, I believe that there is a faclift due on the A3 in the summer.

I have seen the spy pictures on the the Internet and the facelift appears to be just a new bonnet, rear lights, front bumper and headlights.

Is it worth waiting for? :confused:

Not worth waiting for.
Enjoy the new S3 whilst you can before the "new" model comes out in 2010.

It will always be an S3 and no one can strip it of that.

Dave

Yes a new facelift is due around June/July time, but i don't think the changes will be huge, just new front/rear light clusters like the A3 Cabriolet.

But Audi being Audi may only facelift the A3 first, then the Sportback, then the S3 etc.

You may have a longer wait than you expected.

The changes will include the LED running lights I reckon so if you really want those I would wait.

I agree, not a fan of the led running lights, too chav IMO

I agree, not a fan of the led running lights, too chav IMO

Ok if they are factory fitted and part of the headlamps, otherwise no thanks.

I wouldn't bother waiting, the changes appear minor on 3 door (rear lights) and unknown on Sportback.

We just used the possible change as another factor to get a cracking % off list price for MArch 08 delivery. Make sure you get a post week 48 build as you will get a free Aux In socket for your MP3 player!!

TT
R:icon_thumright:

I wondered about waiting but then I wasn't sure if I would actually prefer the facelift or not so went with the current model as I like the look of it. Facelifts dont bother me, an all new model would! But thats not going to happen to 2010 I would imagine which is fine with me :)

Plus if you hang around waiting for facelifts and updates everytime you buy a car you'll be waiting forever as its a never ending process. And then when you decide you've waited long enough they bring the all new model out and it all starts again! So you cant win either way!

Rick Glover said:
SNIPPED Make sure you get a post week 48 build as you will get a free Aux In socket for your MP3 player!!

TT

You will?? Coool.

And no... dont wait... get one now!! :) Time to enjoy before the 2010 release of the S3 which will no doubt have many more changes.

Thanks for your comments.

I had pretty much decided to go for it. I am not sure that I am very keen on the new look with the 'Surprised' headlights and styling feaure over the bonnet and bumper. I'm not a fan of the LEDs either.

Interesting to hear about the AUX input - not one of the dealers has told me about that.

I'm really looking forward to ordering but not looking forward to the wait. All good things are worth waiting for!

Personally I would wait for the facelift; it'll only come out and you'll wish you had one. Which will only ruin the experience of owning the pre-facelift.

I was waiting for the facelift but I ordered an R32 last weekend instead. That doesn't get replaced until early/mid 2009 and sounds epic!

Nelson_Wilbury said:
I was waiting for the facelift but I ordered an R32 last weekend instead. That doesn't get replaced until early/mid 2009 and sounds epic!

But the all new golf is out this year!

Splathead said:
Thanks for your comments.

I had pretty much decided to go for it. I am not sure that I am very keen on the new look with the 'Surprised' headlights and styling feaure over the bonnet and bumper. I'm not a fan of the LEDs either.

Interesting to hear about the AUX input - not one of the dealers has told me about that.

I'm really looking forward to ordering but not looking forward to the wait. All good things are worth waiting for!

This link was posted a few days ago, I confirmed with our dealer (who didn't know either!)

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cedwardphillips/auxinput.jpg

Cheers

Rick:icon_thumright:

rich32uk said:
http://www.infomotori.co.uk/a_ENG_21756_2_1.html

Not sure if I like the revamp to be honest and I'm really not sure that I could wait until the summer for the sake of a minor alteration, It's been bad enough waiting 20 weeks for mine. (role on mid Jan) :jump:

Why the long wait, ordered A3 SB and TT Nov 8th. A3 built week 51 (Awaiting ship) and TT build is week 5 (28 Jan). Is your dealer messing you about perhaps!!

Cheers

R

The 'New A3' looks like a foreign spec tarted up model, BTW, same rear lights as current too!!:icon_thumright:

RGBArgee said:
Why the long wait, ordered A3 SB and TT Nov 8th. A3 built week 51 (Awaiting ship) and TT build is week 5 (28 Jan). Is your dealer messing you about perhaps!!

Cheers

R

The 'New A3' looks like a foreign spec tarted up model, BTW, same rear lights as current too!!:icon_thumright:

God knows!? I wouldnt mind but it's only bog standard Special Edition. Ordered mine 9th Sept ish, also built 50/51 and is due at the dealer on the 10th January... I've thought about the messing about bit but after asking a few people they've had a similar wait!.

Perhaps I've got entangled with a backlog of orders. I think at one point the delivery dates were 6 months.. (so I believe)..

RGBArgee said:
I wouldn't bother waiting, the changes appear minor on 3 door (rear lights) and unknown on Sportback.

We just used the possible change as another factor to get a cracking % off list price for MArch 08 delivery. Make sure you get a post week 48 build as you will get a free Aux In socket for your MP3 player!!

TT
Ouch! Mine has arrived at the dealer today and was due week 48 build!! Have I missed this?

Does anyone know if week 48 is start or finish build date??

The 'build week' as in week 48 means final assembly and drive off the end of the production line.

Anything scheduled to happen to cars produced in week 48 means it will be applied to any car built during or after the beginning (Monday) of week 48.

When would the first facelift cars:
a) be ordered
b) be delivered

ie if the facelift is coming mid 08, is that the date it is formally announced, or the date they are delivered?

CocoPops said:
When would the first facelift cars:
a) be ordered
b) be delivered

ie if the facelift is coming mid 08, is that the date it is formally announced, or the date they are delivered?

I was told launch models (probably not the full range) should be around late summer for 58 Reg, which is why we have ordered current 'non bling Dame Edna' headlight version!

TT
R:tocktock:

h5djr said:
The 'build week' as in week 48 means final assembly and drive off the end of the production line.

Anything scheduled to happen to cars produced in week 48 means it will be applied to any car built during or after the beginning (Monday) of week 48.
Well, I'll find out next Thursday when mine gets delivered :D

i'd be worried about getting an S3 now to be honest - theres defo some changes to the whole range this year and i wouldn't count out a smallish increase in power 280bhp anyone? It's bound to happen, its already lacking well behind bmw 135i in power as it is! And cast your mind back to 2001/2002 they did it with the old shape A3 - 210bhp to 225bhp

IMO, if you can negotiate money off an existing car, using the argument that a facelift is coming, I'd go for one now.
Not as if it's a whole new model.
Like the A4, for example.
Anyone ordering an existing A4, with a whole new one coming in March, is mental.
I can forsee the telephone calls come resale time
"Hi, I'm phoning about the '57 A4"
"oh yes"
"is it the new model?"
"No"
"..............brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Splathead said:

I wouldn't get too excited about having the Aux input. I've got one of the BM and they are crap, you still need to control the MP3 device manually and the fact the input is down by the hand brake means your going to have the device rattling around with trailing cables.

I've fitted a dension to mine and my ipods hidden away in the boot.

J.

marriedblonde said:
I wouldn't get too excited about having the Aux input. I've got one of the BM and they are crap, you still need to control the MP3 device manually and the fact the input is down by the hand brake means your going to have the device rattling around with trailing cables.

J.

I too have one in my BM but dont think its crap. I have 1.5m belkin cable that tucks down the side of the passenger seat, and a silicon case that means the ipod sits over the annoying gap I got when I stupidly asked for the 'no smoker package' ... from there the ipod is easy to interact with although it mostly sits on shuffle so I have a way better library than if I was using CD's etc. Considering I didnt pay for it IMHO I think its great ;)

marriedblonde said:

J.

Now this is interesting.
My D3 only has an aux input, which is a pain.
Are you saying I could buy a dension for it?
I thought they were 'Audi only'.

Yep you can get a dension for them. They make them for just about everything now adays. I also get track information displayed on the head unit. The controls are better than they where when I had one in the audi.

Bowfer if yours comes with the aux input and you want a belkin cable to try to see how you get on, drop me a line and I'll post you mine as I wont be using it again!

J.

Kontraband said:
I too have one in my BM but dont think its crap. I have 1.5m belkin cable that tucks down the side of the passenger seat, and a silicon case that means the ipod sits over the annoying gap I got when I stupidly asked for the 'no smoker package' ... from there the ipod is easy to interact with although it mostly sits on shuffle so I have a way better library than if I was using CD's etc. Considering I didnt pay for it IMHO I think its great ;)

The problem is you have to manually control the device, if your anything like me I get bored very quickly of the music I am listening to and swap tracks, albums etc all the time. Having to do that on the ipod (or generic MP3 player) is a pain (and dangerous too I guess)

On the Z the cable allows me to plug my ipod in and then there's the luggage net thing on the side of the tran tunnel where it would sit but as I said you can't control the unit. Plus it doesn't charge.

J.

marriedblonde said:
Yep you can get a dension for them. They make them for just about everything now adays. I also get track information displayed on the head unit. The controls are better than they where when I had one in the audi.

Bowfer if yours comes with the aux input and you want a belkin cable to try to see how you get on, drop me a line and I'll post you mine as I wont be using it again!

J.

Hang on though, are dension i-pod only?
I've just bought myself a Sony video walkman (NWZA818).
I didn't think it through....did I....:Flush: