Should I remove my wrap?

James.B8

Reaction score
So recently I've been thinking about removing the wrap that's on my car because it's showing its age and has loads of stone chips in. My only concern is that I don't know what the paints condition is like underneath and if taking it off could damage the paint further?

I love the white and black look but the stone chips ruin it. I would like to get it rewrapped after but I'd rather put that money towards a whole new car.

My other option is to leave the wrap on the car for the next year or two until I sell it?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

How bad is it, and can you live with it if you do leave it on until you sell it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
It's quite bad to be honest. Especially the rear end for some reason has loads of chips on. I probably could live with it but I'd still find it annoying.

I guess the contrasting colour (i.e. black showing through against the white) makes it all the more obvious to you.

Perhaps the way to go is to try masking the worst bits via a patch of white wrap?
Test on an inconspicuous area first, of course.

As well as hopefully masking (or at least reducing) the contrast, it may offer some protection to the now exposed paint beneath.

If the 'repair' looks pants, then sounds like you may resort to removing all the wrap anyhow, so no real loss(?)

Just my 2p!

Reactions: James.B8
I guess the contrasting colour (i.e. black showing through against the white) makes it all the more obvious to you.

Perhaps the way to go is to try masking the worst bits via a patch of white wrap?
Test on an inconspicuous area first, of course.

As well as hopefully masking (or at least reducing) the contrast, it may offer some protection to the now exposed paint beneath.

If the 'repair' looks pants, then sounds like you may resort to removing all the wrap anyhow, so no real loss(?)

Just my 2p!
Yeah the black underneath makes it 100x worse!
Yeah I may try that. The previous owner had done it on one section with what looked tipex...so yeah I'll hopefully find something better than that.
Cheers

Reactions: TechNick
I'd buy some white Rustoleum peelcoat/plastidip,spray some into a small container & apply it to said areas with a small brush :)

Reactions: RS5 JON and TechNick
I'd buy some white Rustoleum peelcoat/plastidip,spray some into a small container & apply it to said areas with a small brush :)
That's not a bad idea actually. Or mask up around the area and spray on

Reactions: xpoweruk
I'd take it off and spend your money on a proper machine polish, detail and a decent coating. Your only problem is if there are deep scratches that can't be polished out or hidden under the wrap. Tbh though even a few marks probably wouldn't look as bad as the chips do and smart repairs could help

I'd take it off and spend your money on a proper machine polish, detail and a decent coating. Your only problem is if there are deep scratches that can't be polished out or hidden under the wrap. Tbh though even a few marks probably wouldn't look as bad as the chips do and smart repairs could help
Yeah that's my only worry is that the wrap could be hiding scratches or something else. I'll have to have a good long think

Yeah that's my only worry is that the wrap could be hiding scratches or something else. I'll have to have a good long think

No time like the present if your planning to sell!

I personally wouldn't buy a wrapped car, even if the wrap was in good condition so you may as well get it off and see where you stand.

Hope it's all good underneath for you!

Reactions: xpoweruk
No time like the present if your planning to sell!

I personally wouldn't buy a wrapped car, even if the wrap was in good condition so you may as well get it off and see where you stand.

Hope it's all good underneath for you!
Well not for another year or so but yeah preparing myself for the future.
No I 100% wouldn't buy another wrapped car and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. By all means wrap your own car but buying one pre wrapped is causing worry like this ha!
Cheers so do I

Reactions: RyanJonS4 and xpoweruk
Would it be worth asking the guy about who wrapped it? if it is 3m they do a standard 3 year guarentee on their wrap, not sure if stone chips would be included but worth a try incase it can be replaced :)

Would it be worth asking the guy about who wrapped it? if it is 3m they do a standard 3 year guarentee on their wrap, not sure if stone chips would be included but worth a try incase it can be replaced :)
Unfortunately I don't know who wrapped it as the guy I bought it from had bought it already wrapped from an Audi garage apparently and it was the guy who part exchanged it who had it wrapped. :persevere:so its probably more than 3 years old now I would of thought.

James how long does a typical wrap last for? Have you checked up on it?

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

James how long does a typical wrap last for? Have you checked up on it?

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk
I read online before buying the car that they last between 5-7years give or take depending on care. I've had no problems with the wrap since I purchased the car but I don't think it was looked after well previously

Reactions: feva
www.detailingworld.co.uk
There will be lists of recommended detailers here ,and loads of good advice .same as on asn . If you can find out who the original owner got to wrap the car perhaps they will be able to help .

www.detailingworld.co.uk
There will be lists of recommended detailers here ,and loads of good advice .same as on asn . If you can find out who the original owner got to wrap the car perhaps they will be able to help .
I'll check it out cheers. Well it was wrapped two owners previous to me so don't know the person who actually got it wrapped originally

We have the trucks wrapped at work and they soon start to show chips. I would not want that on my own car.