Should I pay $2500 for a three years extended warranty?

doucity

Reaction score
I am negotiate with dealer about 2016 A6. I plan to buy the basic 2.0T FWD premium model. After all the discounts, I got the price $43558 (around $4000 off MSRP )from AutoPriceShare dealers.
The dealer recommends a three years extended warranty($2500) to me and include 20 times free oil change. Is it necessary of adding three more years warranty to the original warranty? Should I pay $2500 for this?

What is the standard warranty in the US? In the UK (and most on here are from the UK) we get 3 year 60k as standard so not such an issue and we can extend it to 4 or 5 years for a less than you are being quoted. You only need a warranty when something goes wrong and in general these cars are reliable so it may be money down the drain, that said if something major goes wrong then it could pay for itself. 20 oil changes in 3 years seems excessive unless you are planning very high mileage. Audi would suggest an oil change every 9k miles if you go for fixed service intervals so 20 changes would imply 180000 miles in 3 years! Also strange to link oil changes with warranty, would that offer restrict you to just that dealer?

I know some of the U.S. warranty plans include servicing. I'm sure the platinum one includes a set of brakes, wipers etc so it may be worth it.

2 cents =
Where I come from the cost of the oil change out of my own pocket is less than the extra paid for the extension. As for the warranty I'm in the same corner as elan2s: these cars are reliable and depending on the length of the standard warranty, if it'll break, it does so inside this. Depends on your level of pessimism I guess!

I'd do the math and consider this a 'service plan' ie am I paying more than I would for the out of pocket cost. If there's a big difference I'd push for something else. IMHO

Got my A6 last week. no extended warranty included, thanks