Should I have added magnetic ride?

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just ordered a new S3 Sportback, and after some reading on here i dont know if i should have added the magnetic ride option? In saying that though i have read a few negative things about it on an S3 but mostly great on TT/R8, is it a worthwhile option?

Thanks

Yeah you're right, TT is good but S3 is no good, but maybe its been tweaked so you never know.

My dealer mentioned it as an option so dont think its been dropped, but he didnt actually try talk me into it, in fact quite the opposite - which is refreshing for a salesman, he just said its a bit pointless unless you drive it hard.......thing is i do quite alot

anyway, the general consensus on the S3 isnt good so i think i will go along with that.

This is a bit off topic but can anyone tell me what the changes are on the new facelift S3 are compared to my 07 S3 apart from the obvious external changes? is it true about digital speedo on the DIS?

This is a bit off topic but can anyone tell me what the changes are on the new facelift S3 are compared to my 07 S3 apart from the obvious external changes? is it true about digital speedo on the DIS?

Your 07 S3 will have had the digital speedo press the reset button underneath the stalk 2 or 3 times and it should be there.

Did you get a good deal on your new one ??

Mark

Check if advanced comfort is enabled aswell to give extra menus & digital speed in DIS, dealers are synonymous for not turning on these things

Hey thanks guys

I thought i got a good deal til i read a few posts earlier, car came to around £31,500 got it for 30k and they threw in a scratch and dent service to your door woth £900, and autoglym package (which i know they do on every car, i went for a Ibis white S3 sportback with open sky sunroof, bucket seats, bose and cd changer, and thats it - if the fbmfsw or centre armrest were not standard now i would of added these, i dont know if i regret not getting the privacy glass.

All in all i cant wait, although delivery date is mid december, but when i say that i dont know if thats the build date, it was on the salesmans screen as mid december, i should really ring them and confirm this, i have a horrible feeling its gonna get pushed into january as this will increase the cost of the car because of the 2.5% vat

Magnetic Ride wasn't on my shopping list, it was suggested to me that it was more noticeable on other models...

Yeah im feeling a bit better about not adding it now, i can always get something done afterwards, im prob gonna get it lowered slightly.

Has anyone ever had their car delivered before the proposed date ?

Yeah im feeling a bit better about not adding it now...,

Has anyone ever had their car delivered before the proposed date ?

In that case I won't add to my two pennies worth of contribution on magnetic ride.

Delivered ahead of time? Wishful thinking mate... atleast I know of no-one but dangling the carrot springs to mind ; )

Cheers..

the general consensus on the S3 isnt good so i think i will go along with that.

Unfortunately I feel that the "general consensus" is derived from people which never drove a car with MagRide. I own a S3 SB with mag ride. The truth is I like it but I wouldn't pay for it again. I would spend the same amount of money and get an (aftermarket) adjustable suspension. This however doesn't make the product bad. It depends what you want from your car.

If you're into tuning, an aftermarket solution would be more wise. It would also allow the addition of ARBs. In the event you had mag ride, the ARB addition would be uncharted territory, and clearly an expensive experiment. If on the other hand you want the car to be a bit more comfortable go for it as it is also a significant upgrade from the original suspension when in sport mode IMO.

HTH

Unfortunately I feel that the "general consensus" is derived from people which never drove a car with MagRide. I own a S3 SB with mag ride. The truth is I like it but I wouldn't pay for it again. I would spend the same amount of money and get an (aftermarket) adjustable suspension. This however doesn't make the product bad. It depends what you want from your car.

If you're into tuning, an aftermarket solution would be more wise. It would also allow the addition of ARBs. In the event you had mag ride, the ARB addition would be uncharted territory, and clearly an expensive experiment. If on the other hand you want the car to be a bit more comfortable go for it as it is also a significant upgrade from the original suspension when in sport mode IMO.

HTH

Here here! from a fellow Mag Ride owner. My only wish would be for more choice of settings - which you could get from aftermarket, but no so easy to access while driving along. Defination think the mag dampers control each corner better than the std setup.

Paul

Check if advanced comfort is enabled aswell to give extra menus & digital speed in DIS, dealers are synonymous for not turning on these things

Advanced comfort where is this? I can get the digital speedo but wouldnt mind knowing where this ioption is or how to access it? Can't find it in the manual:think:

Thanks for the input

I suppose the real test would to be to drive a car with the mag ride, i do like the standard S3 set up as i do alot of driving (30k a year), but when i start giving it some it would be nice to have that option as i think its slightly on the soft side as standard, how long can you leave it before you add any other options on the car??

Mine with Mag' provides a very soft ride I must admit, press the button and it is instantly sharp & choppy. Like you say, test drive one because if do a lots of miles, you dont want to resort to a cushon under your @rse to soften the ride! :thumbsup: