1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Should I change my gearbox oil?

Pops848 Dec 20, 2016

1. Pops848

Pops848 Registered User

I'm wanting to do a full service on my A4 2.4 V6 Manual Cab in the next few weeks, on the list is the usual

Oil & Filter
    Air, Cabin & Fuel Filter
    Spark Plugs
    Coolant - full flush
    Brake Fluid - full flush

My question is should I change the gearbox oil? It's MY03 car, and has 92k on the clock. I'm thinking yes as it's "good practice" as opposed to actually having a problem.
    If I should change it then what grade do the manual gearbox's need?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

If the car is 2003 with 92k miles under its belt, it will do no harm at all to change manual gearbox oil. The 13-year old stuff in there will be dirty and degraded. Manufacturers make comments like “lifetime fill” but never specifically define what this means. People interpret it to mean different things e.g. 10-years or 100,000 or just the warranty period. No doubt like BMW, VAG have their own “mysterious” gear oil with its own part number. I suspect the VAG gear oil being sold now has changed since 2003 in any event. Opie Oils can find the correct aftermarket oil for you, I suspect it will be a Fully Synthetic GL4 oil - possibly with the modern range 75W-90 viscosity.

Dan-1981 likes this.
  4. Pops848

Pops848 Registered User

Retroman - probably the most helpful answer I've seen yet. I've read lots on different forums, and whilst I am of the opinion "if it isn't broken don't fix it" I also think regular maintenance is something that stops it breaking in the first place!

I'll contact opie, get some gearbox oil and get that sucker changed!

Thanks!

5. Springer*

Springer* Registered User

Personally I'd deffo change the gearbox oil. A job you will probably only do once but well worth it.

J:)

Pops848 likes this.
  6. Baka

Baka Registered User

Mines on 92k and will definitely be changing the gearbox and diff oil.

Pops848 likes this.
  7. Pops848

Pops848 Registered User

Getting mine done this month, I've just done a full service and saw the rocker cover was leaking, so bought the gaskets and will change this weekend. Then I need some new tyres, plus I'm going to Dubai this month so after all that I'll probably get gearbox done, I've got the oil just need to get into a garage, want them to bleed the brakes also at the same time and also change the fuel filter, hat will literally be everything changed then, fresh fluids all round for another years motoring

8. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Registered User

An Independant I use changed my B6 gear oil at the 40k service, along with the rear diff -
    2004 1.8T Quattro S Line. It will be changed again at 80k, regard it as cheap insurance !