Should I cancel S3 order? Thoughts please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurboBen

Reaction score
My car is currently in QC waiting to be shipped. I am concerned about the fallout from the current scandal that I'm sure everyone is aware of. I have been in contact with my dealer and they have agreed to refund the £1000 deposit I put down on the car so I can walk away without being out of pocket if I cancel.

I am basicly concerned about the future of VAG. I think it unlikely they will fold, but the possibility exists. Even if they survive, they are going to have a hard time regaining everyone's trust. Prices will surely reduce, which will affect the resale value of my car.

What are peoples thoughts? Should I continue with the order as is, or should I cancel it and wait untill the dust settles? If all is well in 6 months I can order again, and possibly at a lower price.

Personally I wouldn't let it make you change your mind. You wanted the car and it's still the same car.

Reactions: Jassyo06
That a very optimistic outlook you have......it does'nt bother me in the slightest,do what you thinks best,no one has a crystal ball

Reactions: mister.c., Simon L, Scottyg and 1 other person
New RS Focus?

Reactions: Schuey and veeeight
New RS Focus?

Ha ha, not for me. Maybe an A45AMG.

If I cancel I will be sticking with my current car for 6 months while the dust settles. We'll know by then if other companies are playing the same game. Also have a better idea where VAG are (or aren't). It may be that I will order again in the new year if I am confident that VAG are not going to fold. I expect that "German Engineering" premium may also have disappeared by then, so might even save a few bob.

As much as my heart wants the car, my head is screaming no.

I very much doubt they will fold, get a very big slap for sure, but fold - nope, they are too much a part of the Deutsche economy.

Also who's to say that other manufacturers won't come under the spotlight now?

Your call, but if you are uncomfortable cut and run now, as you'll never be happy with your car and always wonder if you have done the right thing not buying another marque. Until they come under the spotlight as well perhaps?

VAG or not, the damage to the car industry as a whole is done, whether we like it or not. Whatever the fallout will be, will be.

Personally I'll continue to sleep well tonight, really not worried. But you have to do what you feel is right for you, doesn't matter what we think.

Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
Cancel the S3, order another car/make and then when they have a scandal come out cancel that one and buy another make!

I'm not worried in the slightest and I've worked for GM in the car industry for over 19 years. Seen it all before, it's just some you see/hear in the news more than others.....the clue is "I drive an Audi S3 and work for GM" :D

As Richard said "You wanted the car and it's still the same car."

One of the largest most powerfull car companies in the world Fold...a little bit of political spin doctoring,slap on wrist...business as usual

Cancel the S3, order another car/make and then when they have a scandal come out cancel that one and buy another make!

I'm not worried in the slightest and I've worked for GM in the car industry for over 19 years. Seen it all before, it's just some you see/hear in the news more than others.....the clue is "I drive an Audi S3 and work for GM" :D

As Richard said "You wanted the car and it's still the same car."

As I say, I won't be ordering another car till the dust has settled. This scandal is only a few days old and I think there is more to come.

It may be the same car, but I doubt it will have the same value.

No way would I cancel my car order. If anything, it goes to show just how clever the engineers are that build these engines. I realise not declaring this software was a mistake and no doubt, the US EPA will make an example of VAG so they will pay but I fully expect other manufactures to be found using the same kind of solution to a car pollution control measure. I currently drive a 2.0tdi and have an S3 on order.

No way would I cancel my car order. If anything, it goes to show just how clever the engineers are that build these engines. I realise not declaring this software was a mistake and no doubt, the US

Clever is not the term I would have used. Idiotic maybe..

No, the managers that signed it off and didn't declare for the test made are the responsible ones. Not the engineers that developed the system

Google Toyota recalls and they are still going strong!

Reactions: Baldyone and Jassyo06
l cant really get my head around you cancelling your S3 car...Obviously you bow down to the universal scare mongering press...

Reactions: mister.c.
Cancel?????

In the great words of Mr John McEnroe...........you cannot be serious!!!! :)

This is a humongous company we're talking about here, sure temporary damage to reputation but as the guys have said it'll be business as usual before long, especially when the industry prises out a few more scapegoats :)

Reactions: Scottyg
I bow to no one.

Of course, there will be no bias on an Audi forum. I am getting much different responses elsewhere.

The difference with Toyota is that it was a manufacturing issue/software error. With VAG it is intentional and pure deceit.

Thank you for the input but I have decided to cancel. I have lost the faith I had in the brand and don't feel comfortable spending £36000 with a company I do not trust. Depending on how this all pans out, I may reorder next year, or I may go with another manufacturer.

Reactions: Simon L
I bow to no one.

Of course, there will be no bias on an Audi forum. I am getting much different responses elsewhere.

The difference with Toyota is that it was a manufacturing issue/software error. With VAG it is intentional and pure deceit.

Thank you for the input but I have decided to cancel. I have lost the faith I had in the brand and don't feel comfortable spending £36000 with a company I do not trust. Depending on how this all pans out, I may reorder next year, or I may go with another manufacturer.

I'm a big fan of your first sentence :)

Fair play to you, it's your money and good luck with whatever you decide to settle on ;)

......biased??? Who us????? :)

I bow to no one.

Hi mate, you have kinda walked into the lion's lair with this thread as you don't know by now,As my mother says, whats for ye wont go by ye.

Sure as ***** others are doing the same / similar , who cares , but if you are thinking to cancel maybe your heart is not really in the new car ?

Reactions: 4K
C4 news and the press as you would expect have the claws out. It's getting stupid! And it's only just begun lol. Fair play on your decision and I like others I'm sure respect your opinion and choice, however I feel very differently. I say Diesels are getting it now, petrols will also be under the microscope too so buy that S3 and enjoy it b4 society says we can only have 1.2ltr cars, or a prius!!!

Its all the Countries with the crazy Politicians/Governments, going on & on about so-called 'Man Made' Climate Change & setting silly over the top Carbon Emissions Targets, that are really at Fault over this, not VW!!

If the Powers that be, just let Manufacturers progress forward at their own pace, at Improving their Technology, Efficiency etc, we wouldn't have all this rubbish!

If I were you, I'd just have the Car you want & not worry about anything else, just enjoy it.............who knows, in a few years time, we may all be stamped on even further & have to Pay Tax on how much Breathing we do!!

Lol, what the...?

You know VAG is very financially sound and at least for the next few years, not going to go away!!

They are the organisation that downscaled during the boom period in preparation for the recession, so they have a wise team behind them, because even in the recession they are doing very well. They know what they've done and already budgeted billions to deal with the issue.

You're S3 is safe :)

Here read these:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Also remember the US makes these accusations really on business reasons, yes somethings happened but it will probably help their country's car company's sell some more of their own.

Last edited:
Going back to the original post.

VAG will NOT fold, they are one of the largest organisations in the world.

Ive cheated a few tests before, doesn't make me less of a person :welcoming:

Get your S3, its an amazing car. (Although I'm tempted by the Focus RS, in that baby blue :wub:)

Reactions: Simon L
^ Focus RS has a DRIFT mode.

What else do you need :p

Can't wait to try that out !!

Reactions: grchmason, Bristle Hound, DommyR and 1 other person
As a Software Engineer, I'd say it's actually quite clever what they did, purely from an engineering stand point. VAG are hugely cash rich, did BP collapse after the Gulf of Mexico crisis nope!

You don't trust them now but maybe will do next year.???

Really? I guarantee everyone is doing the same, VAG won't be the only ones. Any penalties will be a load of old bollo**s, the world's economies depend on fossil fuels and the Internal Combustion Engine.
Is your car an outright purchase or PCP? As any guaranteed final value won't be affected by this - to be honest nothing will. Everyone is at it in some way! Just good old VAG are the first to get busted!

You don't trust them now but maybe will do next year.???

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the extent of the scandal and how they conduct themselves over the next few months. Maybe they are "all at it". By the time I start looking again, that question will be answered. I'm not convinced this will be confined to diesels either, and if petrol's are implicated I'm sure the S3 will be top of the list. This scandal is only 4 days old and is still unfolding, and with my S3 in quality control, I don't have time to wait for answers.

I am buying the car outright with virtually every penny I have. I don't want it losing 50% of it's value in 12 months.

It doesn't matter how much you say they won't fold, it is a possibility. I don't for one second think VAG will fold, but one or two do. It is a risk, however small. A risk that wasn't apparent this time last week and one that I'm not prepared to take.

If everything settles down, I simply reorder in 3 - 6 months time (probably at a better price). If not, that Focus RS is growing on me :)

Fair play to you, but talking about having trust in any multinational corporation that is ultimately profit driven is kinda crazy IMO.

How many scandals, technology screw ups and health risks have there been!

Maybe I'm the naive one, but I'll still collect my S3 within the next 24hrs.

Reactions: mister.c.
Don't see the point in this thread, your mind was already made up !

No way would I cancel an order on an S3 because of what's come to light, sounds ridiculous...
Your not going to lose any money on an S3 regardless.

Reactions: mister.c. and TonyH38
What the hell.......

Cant beleive ive just wasted 10 minutes reading this.

No way would i not have my S3 besause of this.

VAG were naughty, got caught and will pay a fine, and in a couple of months it will all be forgotten.

I would walk in there today and order a car with no worries about the future.

I cant understand how people are so easily infuenced by the media.

But if you want to cut your nose off to spite your face, just be kind enought to tell us where you bought it from and the spec etc, because it might be a nice car for someone who wants to jump the waiting list !

Reactions: mister.c., A3_Rider, slayaz and 3 others
Influenced by the media? Really? After the statements from Mr Winterkorn I think the media are understating this. Have people not caught on yet?

11 million affected vehicles, most of which will have to be recalled. There's the cost of the fix. The cost of compensating unhappy customers. The cost of EPA fines. The cost of any criminal charges and assosciated fines. That's before Korea, Italy, Australia etc jump on the band wagon with hefty fines. The cost in the loss of customer confidence which is undoubtedly going to result in a massive slump in sales. Add that to the fact that VAG have lost nearly 40% of their value in 2 days and things are looking shaky. There's no media hype here, it's all facts.

I payed a premium for German engineering. It seems a lot of that engineering has gone into criminal activity, cheating environmental agaencies, and plain lying to their customers. If they've been getting away with it for so long on diesels, who's to say they've not been cheating on their petrol cars too?

The car is in QC so hasn't been shipped yet. Could end up anywhere.

The OP has his reasons and views, on his purchase.

No-one is forcing him at gunpoint to purchase his car, if it truly is his own money (as opposed to a PCP) - then surely he is correct to be cautious at this stage - especially if he has no immediate need for a new car.

Let's not turn into the atypical forum respondents akin to a collective with pitchforks because he dares to offer his own view! :)

Reactions: Snibo
Re losing money on a S3.......

The GMFV and actual trade in value are two very different things.
People that have actually traded in or sold their S3 have been disappointed at the actual values offered by trade/dealers.

Unless you're willing to work at selling it privately (along with all the hassle that brings).

Status
Not open for further replies.