Should I cancel S3 order? Thoughts please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bow to no one.

Of course, there will be no bias on an Audi forum. I am getting much different responses elsewhere.

Interesting how your first sentence is perceived differently in other parts of the world.... why did you actually bother to post here ?

By all means cancel your order and just be careful which company you buy from next.
  • Don't buy from companies who use faulty ignition switches and how many people died.
  • Or don't check what their airbag suppliers are supplying
  • Or if go back a bit further designed fuel tanks that resulted in a few deaths and decided it was cheaper to pay for possible lawsuits than to recall the car.

Reactions: mister.c. and Daveotto
I'm still waiting for my S3 (due November) but there is absolutely NO way I would cancel my order.

Hopefully this whole scandal will just highlight how awful diesels are for the environment and that they are certainly not the "Greeen machines" we have been led to believe.

Corporations around the world lie, its a fact of life. VAG just simply got caught. Bad luck, say sorry, pay some fines and move on.

I'm certainly not worried about their longevity as a company and it is going to have no impact on the performance, build quality or kudos of the brand in my eyes. I am also leasing so resale values don't effect me.

If you want to run scared and pretend you are taking the moral high ground then good luck, but don't be surprised when we find out they are all at it.

I'm potentially placing an order on Saturday and this scandal doesn't make any difference to my decision. Big fine and the manufacturers find another way to play the system.

If people are genuinely cancelling cars then it seems a little crazy to me. But fingers crossed maybe it can pick me up an earlier build slot as currently an end of Jan delivery is far too long to wait for an s3

Reactions: slayaz
Makes me wonder about Porsche and their new 370hp 991.2 that only emits 169gm of CO2 :sign yum:

Reactions: AndyB-S3, Jassyo06 and slayaz
The difference with Toyota is that it was a manufacturing issue/software error. With VAG it is intentional and pure deceit.

lol the point is VW told a white lie, the problem isn't with build quality and it certainly isn't going to affect your safety. Toyota have had recalls due to problems that could potentially KILL you! Yet millions of people per year still buy their cars! :D

Good luck with your next car, but don't worry too much about what you read in the papers, as that is only a fraction of what goes on behind closed doors that we get to hear about. If we all knew what went on with everything we buy, we would probably all starve to death :)

Things have now moved on throughout the course of the day.....

Class action lawsuit launched.

also

Potential for claims of ill health due to excessive NOx emissions
(think back to the asbestosis claims)

The field is now wide open, even for a rich company as VW, if they have to start fighting/paying out ..................

What gets me about this whole scandal.

Is that they took the time and effort to put in those hidden software tweaks to cheat the regulators.

But couldn't give the US the god-damn Efficiency Drive Select (Eco) Mode!

I'm building my own case against VAG.

I'm wondering did they do this knowing the Eco Mode would boost the TFSI A3s current 24/33 MPG and possibly make it more attractive than the cheating TDI model that were getting 40 MPGs when it really would be getting mid 20s if it had proper emission control.

I'm currently driving a rental right now as my A3 get's it's bumper patched painted.

I grabbed the cheapest rental a Nissan Sentra, it's a 2013 model, bare as bones on tech, but I was surprised to see this CVT engine have a lot of pep for only sporting 140hp, compared to my 220hp A3.

Not only that this base barebone Sentra has a Eco and Sport mode. :wtf:

Why the hell did Audi not treat it's US consumers the same equal respect it did the other territories. But this scandal showed that this practice weld deep to the VAG itself.

lol the point is VW told a white lie, the problem isn't with build quality and it certainly isn't going to affect your safety. Toyota have had recalls due to problems that could potentially KILL you! Yet millions of people per year still buy their cars! :D

Good luck with your next car, but don't worry too much about what you read in the papers, as that is only a fraction of what goes on behind closed doors that we get to hear about. If we all knew what went on with everything we buy, we would probably all starve to death :)

You think this is a white lie? Seriously? Wow.

If other manufacturers were implicated in this, I think we'd be hearing about them by now. Maybe VW is the first because they are the only.

But if you want to cut your nose off to spite your face, just be kind enought to tell us where you bought it from and the spec etc, because it might be a nice car for someone who wants to jump the waiting list !

Hull Audi
Tel: 08444779534
Talk to Phil Prethero, he's been dealing with me.

S3 saloon s-tronic, sepang with black super sports seats, silver roof lining.
Comfort pack with parking system plus
B&O stereo
Privacy glass
sunroof
interior light pack
mono.pur
folding mirrors

Speaking of mirrors, just checked and I still have my nose. I don't understand the big deal, at the worst I'll have to wait for a 16 plate.

Don't know where you're going but bye bye.

Things have now moved on throughout the course of the day.....

Class action lawsuit launched.

also

Potential for claims of ill health due to excessive NOx emissions
(think back to the asbestosis claims)

The field is now wide open, even for a rich company as VW, if they have to start fighting/paying out ..................

Finally someone taking off the rose tinted glasses.

This will not be a slapped wrist and a fine, it will be ongoing and could last years. It doesn't matter how rich they are, every pot has a bottom.

Surely this is a **** take!
If not, you need to learn to relax and live a little.
It's a brand ***, most big ones around will have had some chequered part to their past.

Mock outrage!!!

Reactions: Jassyo06
I personally don't think this will hurt VAG or any of it's sub brands. Corporations get away with this stuff all the time.
But let it be you and I that deceit the masses at large, we would be thrown underneath the prisons.

@TurboBen - 'Should I cancel S3 order? Thoughts please'

Short answer - No. Stop worrying yourself about it & get that S3 saloon bought buddy :thumbs up:

Reactions: Nimbus265, Jassyo06 and Simon L
Surely this is a **** take!
If not, you need to learn to relax and live a little.
It's a brand ***, most big ones around will have had some chequered part to their past.

Mock outrage!!!

Nope not extracting the urine at all.

I live plenty thanks, don't need an S3 for that. No outrage at all, mock or otherwise. More disappointment to be honest. The only outrage seems to be coming from you lot.

My disappointment will pass and when 16 plate cars come out, i'll have forgotten all about this and be enjoying my brand new S3, Focus RS, A45AMG, RS3, CLA45 or whatever car I decide to spend MY money on for next spring.

Reactions: 4K

If other manufacturers were implicated in this, I think we'd be hearing about them by now. Maybe VW is the first because they are the only

:D lmao I was making light of your concerns. I work in a relatively small factory that produces over 160,000 cars per year. I see what goes on that you never hear about!!! I've seen things done that would make you say "F-ing hell I'm not buying one of those".

Stop worrying ***, it's not like they have found out that all brakes on VW & Audi are defective! :D

I'm guessing you never drink Coke, never use BP garages, never eat a McDonalds/KFC either.
The list of major companies that have been unethical or acted illegally is endless.
You simply can't avoid them and still live a normal lifestyle.

Reactions: slayaz, Nimbus265 and S32B
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the extent of the scandal and how they conduct themselves over the next few months. Maybe they are "all at it". By the time I start looking again, that question will be answered. I'm not convinced this will be confined to diesels either, and if petrol's are implicated I'm sure the S3 will be top of the list. This scandal is only 4 days old and is still unfolding, and with my S3 in quality control, I don't have time to wait for answers.

I am buying the car outright with virtually every penny I have. I don't want it losing 50% of it's value in 12 months.

It doesn't matter how much you say they won't fold, it is a possibility. I don't for one second think VAG will fold, but one or two do. It is a risk, however small. A risk that wasn't apparent this time last week and one that I'm not prepared to take.

If everything settles down, I simply reorder in 3 - 6 months time (probably at a better price). If not, that Focus RS is growing on me :)
I think you you have massively overreacted. VAG has over £300Bn of assets, and are not going to fold.

As for you comments on value, i think you have have no appreciation of market forces.

Reactions: Simon L
Perspective Please! Look at BP following Deepwater Horizon, they had plans in place to mitigate against corporate risk. This is nowhere near that scale. And regardless of how bad that was - they weathered the storm. Did you stop buying BP petrol because you lost confidence in the brand?

Reactions: Simon L

If other manufacturers were implicated in this, I think we'd be hearing about them by now. Maybe VW is the first because they are the only.

Hull Audi
Tel: 08444779534
Talk to Phil Prethero, he's been dealing with me.

S3 saloon s-tronic, sepang with black super sports seats, silver roof lining.
Comfort pack with parking system plus
B&O stereo
Privacy glass
sunroof
interior light pack
mono.pur
folding mirrors

Speaking of mirrors, just checked and I still have my nose. I don't understand the big deal, at the worst I'll have to wait for a 16 plate.

Don't know where you're going but bye bye.

Finally someone taking off the rose tinted glasses.

This will not be a slapped wrist and a fine, it will be ongoing and could last years. It doesn't matter how rich they are, every pot has a bottom.

Bang on the money (pardon the pun) Nimbus........was about to make a very similar comment re the market value of VAG. Sorry to say but when you do the math it really is not much more than a slap on the wrist as already said, much akin to fining a premiership multi-millionaire for naughty behaviour (in money terms at least).

No-one knows how long this will last or the final ramifications but the group will endure that is just common sense and cancelling your car order will hurt no one except the individual concerned. VAG won't care and neither will Audi, they'll just sell it to the next punter.

Other manufacturers?

Volkswagen Group alone includes:

Audi
Lamborghini
Bentley Motors
Bugatti Automobiles
Porsche
Ducati
Ducati Corse
MAN SE
Scania
SEAT
Škoda

How many regulatory 'fudges' across all these VAG fleets?

Should we all go cancel our orders then?

Reactions: Jassyo06
My mate has just cancelled his Bentley order.

I kid you not.

Reactions: slayaz
I just cancelled my pizza order, they deliver with VW UPs, now I'm starving.

Reactions: Snibo, AndyB-S3, xBox and 11 others
If VAG have done this, no doubt at some point, all the other Manufacturers will be found out to have done the same!

These Emissions Regulations are all over the top anyway & there are more Important things to worry about!

Reactions: Nimbus265 and Martinbanshee

Im alright, mine just got delivered in a Frenchy car ;)

JiMTuPq.jpg

Reactions: xBox, Nimbus265, Simon L and 6 others
I think he was looking for an excuse to go for the AMG-GT instead!

Oh thats the slightly less expensive version of the old Gull wing SLS...That one where Clarckson done all the tyres on?

Reactions: veeeight
why would you loose money on a car you have ordered anymore than usual, all they would do if there was an issue is plug it in and tweak the ecu. done!!!

:grinning:
Im alright, mine just got delivered in a Frenchy car ;)

JiMTuPq.jpg

Careful V8 in a couple of weeks pizzas (and all takeaway delivery) will be delivered in S3's that no one wants anymore...can just see the garlic and herb dip spilled all over the box due to excessive bounce

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant, Jassyo06, slayaz and 4 others
If you want to run scared and pretend you are taking the moral high ground then good luck, but don't be surprised when we find out they are all at it.

I never saw VW/VAG claiming their emissions were light years ahead of anyone else so the inference is they have all been "bending" the rules and VW got caught first

I certainly never bought any car because it had low emissions, pleasantly surprised at the low road fund license cost in my old 2.0TDI, I am disappointed with VAG, but I am not trying to take the moral high ground and not turning my back on the brand ....that's my tuppence worth.

Reactions: slayaz, Nimbus265, RichardT and 2 others
I never saw VW/VAG claiming their emissions were light years ahead of anyone else so the inference is they have all been "bending" the rules and VW got caught first

This ^^^^

Other manufacturers are in the same ballpark as VW for emissions, so how are they meeting the levels?

Why not order your pizza from a different company?
If VAG have done this, no doubt at some point, all the other Manufacturers will be found out to have done the same!

These Emissions Regulations are all over the top anyway & there are more Important things to worry about!

I've just read an interview with the guys that found the issue with VW in the first place. Turns out they were testing a BMW X5 too, but that was below the legal level. Looks like BMW may be safe then. Year old M3 maybe?
the OP sounds like a complete basket case. how stupid are you? youre afraid that one of the largest corporations on the planet might fold? and then you need us to help you make your idiotic decision? I say cancel and then never come back here again.

Loud and clear. tata.

Why not order your pizza from a different company?

I've just read an interview with the guys that found the issue with VW in the first place. Turns out they were testing a BMW X5 too, but that was below the legal level. Looks like BMW may be safe then. Year old M3 maybe?

Loud and clear. tata.

That's cruel people, he's clearly one that thinks thoroughly before making a decision and came here for your views not your insults.

You're right @TurboBen it is going to get worse, but for you S3 I would not be worried.

Even if you choose to get an alternative you'll still be getting a nice fast hatchback, so whatever you choose come back and let us know, please!!!

As for the rest of you; you're all too settled in your ways, the best way to describe it; Turboben is the new young looking old guy in the care home and he's concerned over drugs you old foogies are used to, so he gets isolated - bullies!!!

That's cruel people, he's clearly one that thinks thoroughly before making a decision and came here for your views not your insults.

You're right @TurboBen it is going to get worse, but for you S3 I would not be worried.

Even if you choose to get an alternative you'll still be getting a nice fast hatchback, so whatever you choose come back and let us know, please!!!

As for the rest of you; you're all too settled in your ways, the best way to describe it; Turboben is the new young looking old guy in the care home and he's concerned over drugs you old foogies are used to, so he gets isolated - bullies!!!

Care home? You mean nut-house surely!

insert-me-anywhere-tobias-funke-one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest.jpg

Reactions: A3_Rider and Martinbanshee
My mate has just cancelled his Bentley order.

I kid you not.
You should be able to get a great deal on the Golf you've been longing to own no doubt they'll be giving them away with all this scandal :yum: mind you it might not really be as good as all these journalists reckon VW probably programmed it to only be good und test conditions:sob:

Wow, what a thread.
OP: Have a look at the clothes you wear, the food you eat, the tv/ media/newspapers you consume. The pollution you emit. The fuel you buy. The phone you use. The politics you believe in. The computers you use. The list goes on. And change everything you do.

Don't buy anything linked to an American company at all.

Fair play to the CEO who has at least done the complete opposite of many corporate organisations in this case.

Now if you were saying £36k on a tarted up A3 wasn't your thing, it would make far more sense...

Reactions: Daveotto and DAYTONA 500
Wow, what a thread.
OP: Have a look at the clothes you wear, the food you eat, the tv/ media/newspapers you consume. The pollution you emit. The fuel you buy. The phone you use. The politics you believe in. The computers you use. The list goes on. And change everything you do.

Don't buy anything linked to an American company at all.

Fair play to the CEO who has at least done the complete opposite of many corporate organisations in this case.

Now if you were saying £36k on a tarted up A3 wasn't your thing, it would make far more sense...

the S3 is a tarted up A3, especially next to the 2.0T A3. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.