Should I buy an S8

seekone

Reaction score
I am not in a rush to purchase a car and have been doing some research about cars. some of the different vehicles I have been looking at include:

2003 Mercedes E500
2002 BMW 745i
2001 Mercedes S500
2001 Audi S8
2002 Audi S8

Anyway for those of you that own S8's what are your experiences. I really like everything I have read about them so far. They seem to be some of the safest best made cars on the planet and I like the fact that they are very understated but have high performance.

Any comments would be appreciated. Also if you have previously owned a Mercedes or BMW how does the overall owner experience compare from one brand to the other?

GO FOR IT!!!! I'd say...baring in mind that I don't own ans S8/A8 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, however I have owned Audis in the past and, as you rightly observed THEY are an under Estimated vehicle with bags of Toys to boot, more than the Merc, and sometimes more than the BMW. Be aware that the car has 4 wheel drive therefore you nearly always have two of everything, therefore adding greater expense when getting repairs done or servicing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, compare servicing costs on each and the S8 is up there with the best of them, the upside is that the car itself recieves good reviews as being Bomb proof and can't be killed i.e doesn't have say the Nikasil problems of the BMW for instance.. So damage limitation is minimal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Then there's the performance aspect, I don't think the S8 will let you down in poor weather due to the 4wheel drive system unlike the others on your list, then theres the Economy of the car in comparison to the other marques, I'd say you'll be pleasantly surprised considering you have all that BHP under the bonnet, better again than the other marques, So I'd say your on the right lines here definitely.... There are alot of pluses for such a car so GO FOR IT!!!

P.S you're talking to someone that used to run a club for Audis, and has looked at the same car now a number of times, but just don't have the dosh at the time...

Erm simple answer is yes :) Bought mine a month a go and still get up in the middle of the night to peek out and make sure I'm not dreaming!!!

Blisteringly quick and totally understated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DJ

The fella you need to speak to is Sven_S8. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif He's been really sick though and just aint around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif He used to use this site but now uses www.tyresmoke.net He had the MB/BMW/Jags and is currently Mr S8.

PaulW's www.audipages.com is the bible on all things 8 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK, buy yourself a copy of Ronin if you havn't done so already, then ask yourself 'should I buy an S8' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Of course opinions on an Audi site will most likely be biased towards Audi, however, in my humble (slightly biased) opinion, choose either the S8 or the Merc. I have owned all three marques and the BMW was the least reliable. Yes they had the best maintenance plan of the three but hardly worth it when your beloved car spends more time at the dealer than it does in your garage. The Mercedes is still the best quality of the three, HOWEVER, again in my humble opinion, the Audi has the nicest styling and is the best package. You just can't beat four wheel drive! :)

Im actually looking at buyin an S8 myself. Not too sure though, as my experiences of Audi aint very promising. I took it for a test drive - its a very comfortably, fast and responsive drive. But there is something about the interior which doesnt really do it for me.- Its nice dont get me wronge but having seen the interior on the S500 and 7 series its a bit of a dissapointmnt. My 7 series has caused me no problem what so ever and the interior is excellent - its only a 728i sport.

I've got a few months to make my mind up - still indecisive.

I love the s8`s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif my fav audi

[ QUOTE ]
I love the s8`s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif my fav audi

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the modern Audi's I'd have to agree, super sexy and sublime with it... must be in black with tints. Second hand prices are so good, but running costs must be so bad.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
Second hand prices are so good, but running costs must be so bad.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Of the S8's I know they have been very reliable - sure they do use a bit of fuel but what car with a bit of performance doesn't?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Second hand prices are so good, but running costs must be so bad.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Of the S8's I know they have been very reliable - sure they do use a bit of fuel but what car with a bit of performance doesn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said they would be unreliable.

Any large performance car is not only going to suck money in terms of fuel, but insurance, servicing, tyres etc...

You can pick up a 5 year old S8 for less than a new A3 nowadays, which as I say is very tempting, but running it will cost alot!

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
You can pick up a 5 year old S8 for less than a new A3 nowadays, which as I say is very tempting, but running it will cost alot! Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point, although I cannot comment on the UK market. You would definitely not get an S8 for less than a new A3 in Australia.

My dad had an S8 and he loved it, fast, very reliable, and now, very cheap! compaired to what they were! And with the added bonus of 4 wheel drive you cant go wrong!

If you go used merc be very careful of rust. Yep. GO to any of the MB forums - MB have had a serious problem with rust - substandard steel and water based paints. They rust from the inside out. Always check that the car hasnt had a warranty claim on corrosion. some MB's have had mot failures (at 3 yrs old!) on chassis corrosion. At first MB replaced panels, but they quickly dropped that to part resprays. Check tailgate, around doors under the seals, etc. It is mainly E class and S class that is affected, possibly some colours more than others (apparently some cars are made in south africa and india(?) )

with bmw - cooling system is the big weak point, nikasil issues should be well out of the way - its old news. They have quite a high level of water pump failures and head gasket failures. They silt up, make sure the coolant has been flushed and changed at the intervals recommended.
Ross Tech are about to release a bmw version of their software which should be handy.

I know less about A8's but so far as I hear they suffer the usual audi suspension arm bush failures and repairs to aluminium is expensive.