Should I buy a used A6 Allroad

JRD

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone could share some opinions on the idea of buying a used A6 Allroad, probably a 07/08 year with say 30-60k on the clock. I've read some great reviews online and, whilst they still seem relatively expensive at this age, it also seems that you get a huge amount of car for the money.

I do 8-10k miles per year, mainly on rattly and windy country roads. I'm hoping the A6 Allroad is very smooth on pot-hole ridden roads and not crashy or harsh. I'm also hoping it's really well screwed together and does not rattle, regardless of milage. The two Volvos I've had drop off a cliff in this respect after about 80k. In particular the interiors rattle, hum and buzz to the point at which they drive me crazy. I understand Audi build quality is top-notch and that rattling etc isn't a problem, even over 100k+ miles.

I'd also be interested to know how fun A6 Allroads are to drive. Is the steering lifeless with a lot of play in it? My guess is that such a big, heavy car is likely to feel cumbersome and not very agile?

I will of course get round to driving some soon. In the meantime I'd be really interested to hear from people who know what they're talking about, as opposed to salesmen.

Thanks

Jonathan

Last edited:
I have a 2004 A6 allroad with 104,000 miles, not quite the model you are looking for but probablly similar in quality.
I too drive it mainly in rough country roads as part of my job (vet)
I have to say it does NOT RATTLE and is very smooth, just occasionally the seals on the doors get dry and squeak but after a bit of sillicone grease all is well again. Driving it you would not believe it is now 7 years old, it feels, smells (when my farm stuff is not in it!) & drives like a new car. Interior hardly worn at all.
Bit of play in steering but I put that down to mileage, very smooth, responsive drive considering it weighs about 2 tonns.

Being very practicle & liking a project this point does not worry me but you do have to keep a check of its maintaince. If you don't, expect big service/repair bills! I tend to do everything myself and enjoy doing so but I do notice things before they become a problem/fail. Not liking the current diesel price though!

Thanks ms1083

I can imagine the older model you have is very similar in a lot of ways, so your advice is very helpful. At the risk of generalising, in my experience certain marques often have characteristics that carry forward through various models year after year. BMW's are generally pretty good to drive, Volvos generally rattle after 80k miles, Land Rovers are potentially very pricey to maintain outside the 3 year warranty period, Audis seem to be well built, etc.

Your experience with your Allroad MS is just the kind of thing I want to hear.

It basically comes down to this: if I spend 20k on an Allroad can I near-guarantee a comfortable and rattle-free ride, and a car that won't go sloppy on me in terms of handling and steering, for 3 years and 30-40k miles.

The more research I do the more I think an Allroad is looking like a good option. I would also be interested hear from non-Allroad A6 owners if anyone has any opinions.

PS, I'm also getting nailed on diesel: average price is 137.86p!

Best wishes

Jonathan

I got a 3yo Allroad 3.0 tdi just before Christmas and it is a great car. Adaptive suspension allows Long journeys to be very comfortable. Not without problems. Look out for bouncing on the revs when the car slows down, (take your foot off everything and coast) mine does it and is going to have a new Torque Converter fitted as soon as it arrives. (Audi Extended Warranty :) ) the drivers seat was broken, but that has been fixed as well.

Had a Dension ICE link fitted for my iPod, got the iPhone 4 connector thingy, all good stuff.

Expect 31/32 round the roads, 40 on a 70mph run. (All this might improve with the new TC if the one I have is slipping)

On your list. Buddy had a 525d, recons the A6 is a much better car. Land Rover, well I had to get shot of one of those because LR walked away from their warranty responsibilities. Wouldn't buy one of those ever. The company is crap.

If you can get one from Audi, you'll get the warranty. Could be worth having...

Thanks X-box, that's really helpful.

Over xmas we came within a hair's breadth of buying a freelander. I spent quite a bit of time reading on a Freelander forum and my overall opinion was that they are, or can be, quite problematic cars.

What kind of milage does your car have, is it still quite sharp? And are they any good to drive. I'm so busy with work that I haven't had time to get near one, not to mention there are hardly any about where I live anyway.

Thanks

Jonathan

I recently got a 2008 3.0tdi A6 Allroad tiptronic, just over 30k mileage.

The car is simply superb and rattle free after 4mths. It handles well for a big car, you just need to allow the car to find it's cornering stance to minimise any possible roll. Steady in and torque away is best.

Watch out for air suspension issues. If it hasn't been moved off one setting much it can get 'sticky' so drive a few miles and check all the heights for anu uneveness that could indicate a leak.