Should I buy a diesel?

Statiker

Reaction score
I drive around 25k miles per year and over the years have had a series of diesel Golfs and A3s. My current A3 Sportback 1.6TDI is due for replacement in a few months and I was going to order another A3 diesel. However, with the current diesel scandal I'm asking myself if I should go petrol. I think that the government will do something to reduce diesel car ownership such as a tax hike or surcharge and I'm worried about increased running costs and the residual value of a diesel car in a couple of years time.
The obvious alternative would be a 1.4tfsi though I'm not sure the CoD technology would be reliable after 75k+ miles.
Any thought or suggestions?

I will be replacing my current A3 some time next year and I have every intention of buying another diesel. My current 184 quattro is a great car and certainly the best of the nine A3s I have already owned. The choice of which model will depend on exactly what Audi offer at the time but I see no reason to move away from diesels at this stage. After all they are still better for the overall environment with less climate change CO2, than the equivalent powered petrol engine. Personally I don't see a move away from diesels, certainly in mainland Europe, just yet.

Stick with diesel for that mileage. Go for a Euro 6 engine, and if worried, head for someone like BMW who *appear* to be trying to make clean engines without software tricks.

I wouldn't be too bothered about the current scandal, as long as VW fix it then all this hoo-ha will simply be little section in VW's history on their Wikipedia page in a couple of years time.

It looks like they're fixing it.

You might find selling your TDI privately a bit tricky, but if it's on lease from Audi then it's their problem!

Its massive storm in a tea cup. Newer engines are fine. Older engines with the cheat will be fixed. The world will continue to turn.

Its massive storm in a tea cup. Newer engines are fine. Older engines with the cheat will be fixed. The world will continue to turn.

I think MY16 engines are being recalled...so I've heard.

But you are correct - this will be forgotten about in a few years. VW are handling this quite well (in my opinion) and their cars are still among the best in the market.

I do about 20k per year so bought an S3... Great fuel economy, fast enough (for now) and cheap running costs.

Don't worry about media speculation etc... take both petrol and diesel cars out for a test drive and decide which you prefer.

Reactions: slayaz