Shorter ‘Spacers’ Locking Wheel Bolts?

Reaction score
I’m about to have my 10mm and 12mm H&R spacers fitted to my FL S line Saloon, but I’ve only just realised that they didn’t come with locking bolts.

The bolt sizes i currently have are:

10mm spacers - 14x1.5x35mm Radius
12mm spacers - 14x1.5x40mm Radius

I wondered if it was possible (and safe) to fit 35mm McGard locking bolts on all 4 wheels?

As locking bolts come in packs of 4 I wondered if I could get away with buying 1 set rather than a 40mm set also.

Many thanks

Buy longer & if need be shorten via grinder or associated capable tool, easy fix, of course test thread on a tap die set to cut a normal thread before fitting in the wheel hub etc.

Reactions: GGP
Buy longer & if need be shorten via grinder or associated capable tool, easy fix, of course test thread on a tap die set to cut a normal thread before fitting in the wheel hub etc.
Good suggestion, thanks!

Just a word of warning about Mcgard. I know they have a good rep (hence why I bought a set) but this is how 3 out of 4 of mine look after around a dozen removals/refits. Not overly happy as you can imagine!

Attachments

• 3232AFE3-9638-4737-9FE8-7089DFFE05C3.jpeg
    3232AFE3-9638-4737-9FE8-7089DFFE05C3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Reactions: GGP
Just a word of warning about Mcgard. I know they have a good rep (hence why I bought a set) but this is how 3 out of 4 of mine look after around a dozen removals/refits. Not overly happy as you can imagine!
Blimey, that's not good at all. Are there any other reputable brands out there?

Blimey, that's not good at all. Are there any other reputable brands out there?
I don’t know of any off the top of my head but I’m sure there will be others. It could just be I got unlucky. Opie Oils where I bought them gave me a 15% off code as ‘compensation’ and they only stock Mcgard… so there’s a good chance I’ll end up with another ****** set!

I don’t know of any off the top of my head but I’m sure there will be others. It could just be I got unlucky. Opie Oils where I bought them gave me a 15% off code as ‘compensation’ and they only stock Mcgard… so there’s a good chance I’ll end up with another ****** set!
Cheers, I'll do some research before buying.