Short Shifter kit

richjthorpe

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've bought a Short Shifter kit for my 5 speed 1.8T but having a bit of a nightmare fitting it.

When I've fitted it the correct way, I cannot select Reverse because the gearstick won't come over enough to the right.

I've tried fitting it so that the angle of the stick is forward (Instead of reverse) and now can select reverse but I cannot select 4th as the selector hits the underside of the gearstick mounting bracket.

The short shifter is for both 5sp and 6sp cars.

Thanks,

Richie.

richjthorpe said:
Hi all,

The short shifter is for both 5sp and 6sp cars.

Thanks,

Richie.

What year is your car?

On a B6 the 5sp and 6sp shortshifters couldn't be more different!

BUB :beerchug:

Hi Bub,

The shifter can be set up either for 5sp or 6sp configuration using different parts depending on the 'box.

Jon,

Thanks for the link, I've seen it before but it's not quite detailed enough to try to work out what I've done wrong.

The shifter kit is adjustable depending on how much throw you want to loose so isn't the same as the Neuspeed where there is only one option.

Cheers,

Richie.

Dude where did you get the kit from??
I've just fitted one on my B5

richjthorpe said:
Hi Bub,

The shifter can be set up either for 5sp or 6sp configuration using different parts depending on the 'box.

Jon,

Thanks for the link, I've seen it before but it's not quite detailed enough to try to work out what I've done wrong.

The shifter kit is adjustable depending on how much throw you want to loose so isn't the same as the Neuspeed where there is only one option.

Cheers,

Richie.

You still haven't said what year your car is..... B5 or B6?

I've had both the AMS and the Stratmosphere shortshifters on my car and can't recommend the Strat' enough. I'm not sure I'd trust a 'kit of bits' TBH. The AMS and Strat' are solid alloy and very well made. They are both adjustable to approx minus 25% & 40%. The Strat' is the better unit for RHD. (see my link)

Fitting for both was pretty easy and I could do one in about an hour now. Adjustment was a bit of a pain on the AMS but dead simple for the Strat'.

See HERE

Just Buy a Stratmosphere one they are beautifully made and the fit is perfect. You wont have any problems. If you go to the Strat' site there's a PDF instruction manual to download.

5 Speed.......................
b6_a4_5speed_npd_320.jpg

6 speed.................
strb6s4a430short_585.jpg

As you can see quite different.

Stratmosphere

BUB :beerchug:

Hi Bub,

The car is an '03 B6. I bought the kit from ebay in the US and is similar to the Stratmosphere with the 2 adjusments but it has 3 adjustments. Also, the B6 version is kinked forward where the ones you've shown look like the B5 version which are straight.

I'll have to keep playing I think !

richjthorpe said:
Hi Bub,

The car is an '03 B6. I bought the kit from ebay in the US and is similar to the Stratmosphere with the 2 adjusments but it has 3 adjustments. Also, the B6 version is kinked forward where the ones you've shown look like the B5 version which are straight.

I'll have to keep playing I think !

Like this........................?

980631-OEvsAMSvsSTRATMOSPHEREa.JPG

Did you click my link to Tyresmoke?

AFAIK all of the shortshifters are straight. It doesn't matter. The pic of the 5 speed is for a B6 too.

The pic above is for a B6 & B7 6 speed (my car is 6 Speed) The 6 speed is NOT the same as the 5 speed.

The AMS has 3 holes on the bottom link but only 2 are used on either gearbox (they use the same bottom lever for 5&6 speed) Go to the AMS site and there's a PDF instruction manual there too. TRY THIS LINK

There are plenty of "how to's" if you do a search on Audi World or Audizine.

Read my post in Tyresmoke. I love my Strat SS it's a great mod for an A/S4

BUB