Short shifter install

voteforpedro

Reaction score
I got a short shifter kit and I was trying to follow this:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int37.shtml

But my setup is completely different.

711300.png

See the plastic piece on top of the ball with the spring in it? It has that. Do I need a different kind of kit or what? Also, how does pushdown reverse work with that setup?

There are only subtle differences between pre-facelift and facelift. Which one is yours??

I used the JHM instruction vid when I did mine.

just fitted one of these shifters myself yesterday...Is yours one of the Ebay ones if so you use the original audi plastic cup and ball along with the original reverse mech already installed in your car.

The video is very helpful, especially the setup afterwards - i think i was really lucky as i marked mine before i undid both bolts and then put it back to those same markings and it worked first time.....

Also check out the B&M shifter website there are PDF's for this fitting as well - this has a step by step guide with pictures...

I used the B7M instructions when I did mine and also deleted the push down reverse using the metal ball etc. Works quite well and has put up with some harsh fast road use and a spell on track as well

Mine didn't come with instructions at all.

Took me three attempts to get it all right!

Makes so much difference though...

But looking at that diagram, mine didn't have half of the stuff that's on there!

i bought one off someone on here about 2 years ago and still not fitted it!
can it be used to delete the push down reverse? couldnt figure it out but ive got a couple of the later style gubbins without the pushdown but not sure if there interchangable

Yeah you dont put the little wedge thing in iirc.

Down load the B&M instructions seeing as they are a clone of them anyway

Sorry guys for coming with a silly question but how does a short shifter work?

Does it just make the gear stick shorter so the throw is less or does it manage to keep the same height yet still reduce the throw? If so how?

Thanks.

It increases the length of the stick underneath the pivot point, meaning a reduced throw at the top.

But yes, it does also reduce the height of the gearstick too.

That must mean, that as usual, I have pikey components installed on my car.

I've had ZERO adverse effects from doing it though! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the answers guys.

Does it really make a noticeable difference? The best change I've made to my S4 is fitting an arm rest. I really don't know how I drove the car without it. If we are talking about a night and day change for the better I may be tempted.

Where is the best place to source these, which is the most favoured brand and what should I look to pay?

Thanks guys.

Yes it's a noticable difference. Apparently my T Sport had a shorted dhift than my older 1600 Avant, not all that noticable. I got my kit from a mate who had purchased it for his Passat but then couldn't be bothered. I paid £15 for it iirc. I tested it thoroughly with some fast B road blasts and some track action and the shift feel is far more positive and precise feeling. One of the best mods I did this side of getting it chipped