Shocks & Springs advice please

dagsky

Reaction score
hey all, i'm considering getting new shocks and springs for my car, the handling on my car is *****, i wouldn't dare go round a sharpish corner at 70, it just feels like it's diving everywhere! I've had the car looked over and i was told that they can't see anything to be worried about.

I've been looking at the BILSTEIN B12 PRO but i'm not sure i want to spend around £650 on this for a car that i don't really thrash, mainly used on A & B roads, hence asking the opinions of others in the know.

My car is an 09 A3 8P1 3 door sportback, 102k on the clock. According to Audi i have a standard suspension, looking at my car it looks like it sits low already so not sure, neither the shocks or springs have ever been changed on this car.

I'm not into lowering cars any more, i'd just like a car that stays planted on the road and to stop having heart attacks every time i go round a bend with some speed.

I've had a look at the B12 kit and doing a bit of maths it's actually cheaper for me to buy the B8's & springs separately than buying the kit, unless the kit comes with just more than the shocks & springs which are not shown in the pics. If i bought them seperate it would cost me around £450.

Then there are the B6 which can be run on stock springs, the b6 would cost me around £300, but with so many eibach springs shown for my car i have no idea which is which, and audi want £104 per spring.

Then there is the B4 which is significantly cheaper but the reduced cost would then allow me to upgrade the anti roll bar.

So really not sure what to do!

Could be worth sending a PM to @DPM as there the site performance guys ,

Reactions: DPM
hey all, i'm considering getting new shocks and springs for my car, the handling on my car is *****, i wouldn't dare go round a sharpish corner at 70, it just feels like it's diving everywhere! My car is an 09 A3 8P1 3 door sportback, 102k on the clock. According to Audi i have a standard suspension, looking at my car it looks like it sits low already so not sure, neither the shocks or springs have ever been changed on this car.

I'm not into lowering cars any more, i'd just like a car that stays planted on the road and to stop having heart attacks every time i go round a bend with some speed.

The 034 ARB is your answer, just leave everything else as is, honest...

See: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/034-motorsport-arb-rear-anti-roll-bar.287690/

Well I went for Bilstein B4s and an Eibach Pro-kit when I decided that I couldn’t take the bone-jarring ride of my S-Line any more.....
I did the rear end about 2 weeks ago and the front end is scheduled for next week, but it feels so much better .
Think the whole set-up cost just over £300.

thanks for all the input fellas, much appreciated. I've been looking at the ARB & came across an absolute steal of a deal but i need help figuring out something. The ARB is the H&R 26MM FRONT & 22MM REAR which normally goes for £300 plus, the shop has the last one at clearance for £120 BUT apparently it's for cars with Xenon lights, product code is 33258-3. I don't have Xenon lights, can i still use this and if so how will affect my lights?

thanks for all the input fellas, much appreciated. I've been looking at the ARB & came across an absolute steal of a deal but i need help figuring out something. The ARB is the H&R 26MM FRONT & 22MM REAR which normally goes for £300 plus, the shop has the last one at clearance for £120 BUT apparently it's for cars with Xenon lights, product code is 33258-3. I don't have Xenon lights, can i still use this and if so how will affect my lights?

IMO you’re wasting your time with the ARB. just change your shocks and springs to what @Nessy said as that is the best combo for a good price and it will improve your handling and comfort of your ride. If you don’t want to buy shocks then you could just buy the eibach pro springs and put them on your current shocks and this will have the same effect.
If you change the ARB now then at some point a spring or shock or is going to need replacing anyway in the future so you might aswell do them all now which will improve your handling and then you’ll not need to worry about them in future as they should last you a good few year.

yes, i am going for the B4's & the eibach pro kit, i was just thinking with the price of that H&R at such a steal i could buy and hold on to it & if not needed then i could always flog it off again, if needed then i got myself a bargain, just don't know about the xenon lights thing

If you want a bargain rear ARB there are several larger ones from various VAG vehicles that will fit and can be had cheap on eBay etc.

I picked up a Passat R36 ARB for £30, its 40% stiffer than a stock s-line bar and transforms the handling.

There is another bar used in the golf that’s 20% stiffer than stock too.

What tyres do you have?
The best tyres give good handling and the sidewalls don’t flex as much as cheap tyres. Also check the pressure are correct.

@Nessy did you finish fitting the front end of your car? If you did how is the car handling now?

@JimS3 i read a post somewhere about a passat arb fitting an a3, but there wasn't any feedback as to how the car handled after the installation, will have to try and find some threads on vag arbs on the A3.

@SootySport at the moment i've got rainsport 3 225/45/17 Y on there, only covered 6k on them so have to wait a while before i can change. I've got 2 new michelin ps4 in the garage, waiting till another pricing error pops up so i can nab another 2 then i know i'm sorted when it comes time to change. As for tyre pressures, the side sticker on my door said 40 odd psi, i put that but i felt like i was driving on ice :wtf: dropped to 38, was still a little wobbly, dropped to 36 all round and much preferred it there so kinda stuck to it.

I ve had Rainsports in the past, they have excellent grip in the winter in snow and water but overall they feel soft but comfortable. All theVAG forums rate the Michelin PS range highly so you should go with them.

@dagsky

Well the job is finally finished and I’m very happy with the results.
I did have a few problems along the way , but as with any older car seized nuts etc can be expected, although a spinning captive nut on one of the front top strut mountings meant I had a few hours work with an angle grinder!
Comparing the before and after ride heights ie factory S-Line vs Eibach Pro-kit & Bilstein B4 I reckon that the height now is about 5mm higher, not that this bothers me in the slightest....
The biggest difference though is in the ride quality , it’s not a night and day transformation , far from it , but the crashiness and harshness has gone totally.
Before the swap I’d wince at every pothole and surface irregularity but now there isn’t any jarring feeling and noise (even on 18” tyres) I think is reduced.
I’d totally recommend the Eibach / Bilstein combination and now wish I’d done it sooner.....

Reactions: SootySport and 45bvtc
I’ve just fitted B4’s and the Pro kit to my 205GTI, lowered it by 40mm but it does feel good, thinking of doing the A3 as well.