Shell V-Power vs Tesco Momentum

My neighbour used to be a bigwig at Grangemouth, according to him the different brands were all more or less the same so he just goes for the cheapest. Having said that he's famously tight and a BMW driver so I stick with Shell!

I run my old A4 on the standard Shell but my SQ5 gets the expensive stuff when available, admittedly it's a tdi, but TBH I've never noticed any difference in performance. The only cars I've ever owned that needed higher octane, V power and 99 both worked, were mapped Scoobies, they were horrendous on 95.

Speaking of supermarkets, my Golf played up recently, dual mass flywheel needed replaced but afterwards still didn't feel right. I ran the tank right down and topped up with Vpower, about 2 miles later it was back to normal. Turned out the laddie had put a tenners worth of Morrison's finest in it a couple of nights before. Probably a coincidence but in over 30 years of motoring that's the only batch of bad fuel I've ever had.

Reactions: V6_Man
Ginge You may be noticing a difference now tge summer time additives are being used.
Tesco Mo99 changed over last month also.

Reactions: Ginge247
My neighbour used to be a bigwig at Grangemouth, according to him the different brands were all more or less the same so he just goes for the cheapest. Having said that he's famously tight and a BMW driver so I stick with Shell!

I run my old A4 on the standard Shell but my SQ5 gets the expensive stuff when available, admittedly it's a tdi, but TBH I've never noticed any difference in performance. The only cars I've ever owned that needed higher octane, V power and 99 both worked, were mapped Scoobies, they were horrendous on 95.

Speaking of supermarkets, my Golf played up recently, dual mass flywheel needed replaced but afterwards still didn't feel right. I ran the tank right down and topped up with Vpower, about 2 miles later it was back to normal. Turned out the laddie had put a tenners worth of Morrison's finest in it a couple of nights before. Probably a coincidence but in over 30 years of motoring that's the only batch of bad fuel I've ever had.

Morrison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SteveMcB
My local Tesco hasn't had Momentum for about two weeks now - they've ran out of additive (to turn regular into Momentum I guess?) and don't know when they will be getting supplies.
Im now using V-Power.
Tesco Momentum - 120.9p a litre
Shell V-Power - 128.0p a litre
Ouch :racer:

They've both been warned that if I find any more receipts for Morrison's fuel they'll be taking the bus.

Hahaha. Exactly what I told missus when she used Sainsbury's. She likes her Audi so drives an extra few miles just to make sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ginge You may be noticing a difference now tge summer time additives are being used.
Tesco Mo99 changed over last month also.
Could be m8, although it's still as poor as before on the momentum, just the vpower that's better

Reactions: BoostHard
My local Tesco hasn't had Momentum for about two weeks now - they've ran out of additive (to turn regular into Momentum I guess?) and don't know when they will be getting supplies.
Im now using V-Power.
Tesco Momentum - 120.9p a litre
Shell V-Power - 128.0p a litre
Ouch :racer:

Ive already answered this previously, garages dont turn regular into momentum.
Infact, garages staff have no dealings with the fuel at all.
Where in the country are you based.
The tanks have been run down to switch to a summer fuel which has different additives in, all fuel stations (not just tesco) do this.

Interesting, I didn't even know there was a summer/winter difference in petrol, and I've been driving more years than l can remember LoL I used to drive a diesel, so know there is a changeover for diesel.

I'm in North Hampshire. No issues with V-Power availability, only my local Tesco Momentum. Other Tesco's seem to have Momentum, but it's a 50'mile round trip to fill up at my next nearest. :racer:

I deliver in your area, seems odd as Ive done mo99 this week.
Its just the additives that change during summer/winter

Perhaps you can't, but I assure you that they do change. Whether that be adding more or less additive or slightly different additive Im not privy to that information, but we close tanks to allow them to run low before refilling with the fuel.
Summer change over happens,

Oh bother, I better not drive to America then while I still have some winter petrol festering in my tank, must buy some Redex and take the car out for a long run to sort that out - ie declag/devarnish the fuelly parts and use up the remaining winter spec petrol.

Theres no need to be an **** is there,
Im purely trying to point out reasons for it.
Forget the america part, we switch fuels here in the UK too.
Tesco and Bp switch over has happened already. I expect other brands would have done the same. Weather you would notice a difference is doubtable.

Theres no need to be an **** is there,
Im purely trying to point out reasons for it.
Forget the america part, we switch fuels here in the UK too.
Tesco and Bp switch over has happened already. I expect other brands would have done the same. Weather you would notice a difference is doubtable.

Charming, are you sure that you should be posting on public forums?
If you had wound your brain up you might have noticed that I was actually mocking myself for still having winter grade fuel in my tank in mid June - actually I found your info quite informative!

Reactions: BoostHard
My apologies if I misunderstood the point of your reply,
Perhaps I responded in a harsh manner,

Reactions: V6_Man
Ah well, maybe it is the hot weather that is making us snarly?

We were on holiday on the Italian Riviera (between La Spezia and Genoa) the other week there and there was, as usual, what us UK based people would think of as an awful smell of petrol (ethanol) in the air - and most cars were still running on winter tyres. Nice smell for petrol heads but maybe got too healthy!

Hey guys, just thought I'd update,
You will most likely be seeing E10 at the pumps quite soon

The infrastructure is being built at the fuel terminals as we speak.

I'm guessing it will be sold alongside E5 at petrol stations for a period of time as not all cars are compatible with the fuel.

No Idea what date has been set to launch the fuel, but it's definitely coming soon.

Reactions: xpoweruk
They will make V-Power and momentum E10 instead I think.Currently they are E5

Interesting news. A bit of web research informs me E10 petrol will have 10% ethanol versus the 5% that we currently get in E5. And that efficiency and fuel economy is worse with E10, but less so if you have a bigger engine. Benefits the environment they say.

An excuse to add another 5p per litre too

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

An excuse to add another 5p per litre too

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Probably. And the premium for v-power more than the current 11 pence per litre.

On the other hand if only 90% of what will go in the tank comes from refined oil then marginally less volatility in the fuel price...

I'm sure I read we were going to e10 maybe 5 years ago, guessing it never happened as planned back then?

Shame us soot chuckers can't get Tesco "momentum" diesel, really think they've missed a trick there.

i make the stuff and its all the same bar the premiums which have additives put in post refinery... so as said above just use the cheapest normal fuel if you dont use the premiums as its all drawn from the same tank i see it every day

Mine runs only on Costco premium juice.

Was told it is like 'Shell V-Power Diesel'

Anyway it is always 10-20 pence litre cheaper.

So big saving on a full tank.

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro
Natebrand, which terminal do you work at?

i make the stuff and its all the same bar the premiums which have additives put in post refinery... so as said above just use the cheapest normal fuel if you dont use the premiums as its all drawn from the same tank i see it every day