Shell V-Power vs Tesco 99RON

themanthatcan

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening chaps,

I normally fill up with Shell V-Power but upon visiting my local station this evening they had none in stock (petrol or diesel!) and they don't know when they'll have it back in again!

What I want to know is if any of you have tried the Tesco 99 RON fuel in their S3? I've put a tenners worth of regular Shell Unleaded in for now and it seems to be running great but need to fill the tank up and am consideing trying the Tesco stuff and want peoples opinions.

Ta,
Andy

I only ever use Tesco99 , it will take a couple of tanks to work though.

Better than V-Power IMHO

p

There is a massive thread on this exact same subject from a couple of months ago

For the record, Tesco99.

Cheaper and collect points to spend on your shopping......every little helps. LOL!

p

Hey thats strange, i was in Leicester yesterday and went to 2 different Shell petrol stations to get V Power and they didnt have any either!!!

Is there a shortage of V Power???

I ended up putting BP Ultimate in at £1.27 a litre!!!!!

What is happening with the prices?!!???

i read an article in evo magazine where they carried out a test on several cars using different fuel inc v-power or shell optimax as it was then called.conclusion was that bp high octane fuel and tesco 99 were as good if not better than optimax.now fill mine up with tesco 99 and myself with fosters when ive got enough points

My nearest Tesco charge more for 99 than Vpower!!! grrr...Vpower now 122.9

i've had this dilema as v power is all out. i'v put in bp ultima and my car feels very sluggish with it compared with the v power. tescos i havent tried yet.

Apparently V Power is out for about 3-4 days at least!!!

I had to put shell normal unleaded in this morning...but seems ok.

Thanks for the responses chaps.

After a drive to work this morning I really can't feel any difference using the normal Shell Unleaded, in fact it may be in my head but she seems to be slightly quicker :wtf:I always got the impression from others that there was a noticeable difference between Unleaded and V-Power but I'm failing to see it at the moment!

Can anyone think of any reason why I shouldn't just stick with Shell Unleaded for now? I know the RON rating is slightly lower but I'm sure my owners manual says it should be ok, and I don't think the CC stage 1 remap allows for the extra power of V-Power anyway?

errr might be worth checking as im sure CC increased a setting or two due to the vpower.... i say that as they were interested in what fuel i use and i assumed from their response that this made a difference

There was a test performed earlier in the year comparing Tesco 99 and V-Power in Independant Car magazine or something, V-Power came out on top in tests on a new Golf GTI.
As far as I know the 2 fuels are different in the approach to getting to the octane rating, Tesco uses 5% Bio-ethanol to up the octane rating, Bio-ethanol produces less power than regular petrol though, so i'll stick to V-Power unless I find out bio-ethanol has a beneficial effect on engines designed for petrol.

:blackrs4:

Can't say i've ever noticed any difference in any fuel i've ever used.

All seems the same to me. :(

You won't get any benefit from just one tank. You have to regularly use the same fuel in order to give the ECU time to work out how to use it.
They did a similar test on TG or 5th gear (can't remember which) and Optimax (as it was then) came out as a clear winner on a rolling road BHP test.

I filled up with Tesco 99 RON this morning and it was the same price as V-Power (122.9). Will see how it goes.

Thanks

yeah good stuff... and if you dont have time

Bottom line? Use the Tesco 99 fuel where you can find it, it offers the best, most consistent performance of the fuels available and it’s cheaper than V Power.

tesco 99 al the way, i used to have a jap import skyline and it always run better and ther turbo spooled up slightly quciker when using tesco, v power is good but its not any better than tesco's