Shell or Mobil?

silestanix

Reaction score
So the previous owner has used Shell Helix 5W40 in his ownership and I've done so too with the A3's first service. (Oil weight is not an issue, let's not make this another heated oil weight thread lol)

However, on my previous car it used to like a bit of a drink of oil, shell, castrol etc however Mobil was the only oil it didn't drink. This AUM engined A3 uses a little, like 200ml every 1-2k . It's a turbo car so some oil use is expected.

This being a turbo car also, I'm thinking of switching her to the Mobil stuff, still 5W40 (I'm sticking to 5W40). I've always found Mobil to be a better quality oil also.

Anyone else running the same oil? Mobil Super 3000 5W40 to be precise.

Cheers

Harry.

So the previous owner has used Shell Helix 5W40 in his ownership and I've done so too with the A3's first service. (Oil weight is not an issue, let's not make this another heated oil weight thread lol)

However, on my previous car it used to like a bit of a drink of oil, shell, castrol etc however Mobil was the only oil it didn't drink. This AUM engined A3 uses a little, like 200ml every 1-2k . It's a turbo car so some oil use is expected.

This being a turbo car also, I'm thinking of switching her to the Mobil stuff, still 5W40 (I'm sticking to 5W40). I've always found Mobil to be a better quality oil also.

Anyone else running the same oil? Mobil Super 3000 5W40 to be precise.

Cheers

Harry.

Hi.
I never used Shell oil, so i cant say anything about it. I used the Mobil 1 around 6 years ago and i never had any problem with it. I think is a very good oil for 1.8 T.

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

Reactions: silestanix
3000 ? 5W40 .

There's a few versions of it , you're going on the right hot viscosity of 14 centiStokes or greater for an oil consumption issue but the builder specs might be on the low side .

Because of a low oil capacity of 3.5L a 1.8T's biggest enemy is sludge.

3000 ? 5W40 .

There's a few versions of it , you're going on the right hot viscosity of 14 centiStokes or greater for an oil consumption issue but the builder specs might be on the low side .

Because of a low oil capacity of 3.5L a 1.8T's biggest enemy is sludge.

Definitely, sludge is a worst enemy in smaller sumped engines... Though oil capacity on my AUM is 4.5 litres, bang on the dipstick full mark. Book says 3.5 too but rang Audi & they said AUM is 4.5.

The oil consumption isn't an issue yet, just keeping the engine healthy as in my experience good oil usually results in less or even no leaks or consumption.

That's a relief , Mobil is quality but what dictates it's performance is the specs , ie 504.00 is better than 502.00 .

504.00 avaliable as 5W30 .

502.00 505.01 is better than 502.00 505.00 .

So playing with the idea of using Mobil 1 Delvac, literally mobils best oil as it's used for trucks etc here at work so very heavy duty. A bit more protection ain't a bad thing...!

I've read the specs and they seem to surpass any of the normal 5w40 oil specs from Shell, Mobil, motul etc. Hmmm.

Quantum plus Lucas synthetic 1ltr heavy duty stabiliser is my favourite.l as I have a heavy right foot for spirited driving.

You an get the quantum for £20 plus a few quid change from any TPS store and the Lucas is £18... =[]

Quantum plus Lucas synthetic 1ltr heavy duty stabiliser is my favourite.l as I have a heavy right foot for spirited driving.

You an get the quantum for £20 plus a few quid change from any TPS store and the Lucas is £18... =[]

Ha, see I've been to TPS as I was also recommended them by the previous owner, but I found them so expensive! Like do I have to prove I own a vag car or something?? I was stunned at the price they quoted me for oil lol!!!

I used shell helix before my mate gave me free oil from his garage. I never had any issues with it.

My oil drain plug despises it didn’t want to be in the car anymore while beating a ST and I called the AA out as I was miles away from home and he said that he went to a customer who had torn there sump with Magantec oil and drove it after and the engine was fine...

My oil drain plug despises it didn’t want to be in the car anymore while beating a ST and I called the AA out as I was miles away from home and he said that he went to a customer who had torn there sump with Magantec oil and drove it after and the engine was fine...

Yeah, never been a fan of Castrol magnatec man, I've used it only a few times and in my book any Oil that makes an engine more noisy is a no no man. Made my merc more tappety, I had it in there 50ish miles and dumped it out, refilled with Mobil and had no issues man.

Reactions: SHUk
I’m not a fan, just passing comment