ShaunS3's EPIC Build Thread

ShaunS3

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
Regional Rep
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So this is kinda the sole reason I have been absent from the forum for some time...

I was quite fortunate when buying my S3 as it came with stacks of receipts and service history. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear that my car had previously been a member of an owners forum of which I then later stumbled across when i signed up to ASN.

So of course I then contacted the previous forum owner (1animal1 aka Tim) and obtained more info on it's history and got an idea on how it had been looked after previously, although this doesn't cover the more previous owners.

I made a decision that although the paperwork was stacked to the roof, i would carry out a major service. This was purely based on the cars age and mileage now hitting over 120k. In addition to this, the car had suffered the infamous PCV system failure and was causing major power loss. It was playing in the back of my mind for some time and I'd rather do it all whilst in my possession for peace of mind more than anything. However, as most of you will know, whenever working on a car (especially an S3), it never really stays at service only stuff.....pics will reveal all :)

The aim of my thread is to show the less mechanically minded people how a car like the S3 8L ages over 11 years as I can only make an educated guess that the car will have seen some hard usage in it's life. I have tried to take before and after shots where possible (If i remembered to do so).

For informational purposes, my car is a 2001/51 S3 8L (BAM 225) + Stage 1 CustomCode. The majority of service parts are all genuine Audi parts, sourced from my local TPS franchise.

So, without further ado.....here's the pics:

Dyno printout before works (Supposed to be around 260bhp - Stage 1)....

Saikou Michi S3 OCC + Flourosilicone hoses from Roose Motorsport

S3dave Tie Bars & OCC inserts

AH Fabs V2 FMIC

Sachs/Black Diamond Stage 1 Clutch Kit (Carbon/Kevlar)

Black Diamond Performance Brakes

I forgot to take pics of all the parts/mods, so here they are waiting to go on:

First up then was the brakes....

Last edited:
Reactions: voorhees
Front end strip/FMIC test fit

Engine out:

Gearbox/Exhaust manifold off:

Ball Joints/Track Rods:

Ball joints/track rods/drop links fitted:

SuperPro Polybushing:

Front Wishbones

Steering Rack Mount

Front ARB's

Rear Lateral Arms/S3dave Tie bars/Rear ARB's

Looking good,Tims old car before his 8P and Beemer.

Why is a wheel alignment required after SuperPro/S3dave Tie bars?

New Turbo (courtesy of AET Turbo's)/Relentless V3 Manifold/Relentless DP

Reactions: CabbageGT
FMIC fitting (not for the faint hearted lol) - Bumper cutting required :)

The finished article:

Last edited:
Reactions: JudderMan, Sandra and Vex182
There were some other parts that I forgot to take pics of but the majority of work done is shown in the pics. For anyone unsure what the pictures show, here's a list of things fitted/replaced:

Oil filter
Oil Pump
Oil pick-up pipe
Water pump
Thermostat
Fuel Filter
Haldex Oil & Filter
Shell Helix 5w 40
NGK BK7RE x4
Black Diamond '6 groove' front & rear discs
Black Diamond Predator Pads
Ball Joints
Track Rods
Front Drop Links
s3dave Tie Bars
Saikou Michi S3 Oil Catch Can
Roose Motorsport Flourosilicone hoses
SFS Silicone Hoses (Coolant and turbo)
AH Fabs V2 FMIC
Complete SuperPro Front & Rear 'Alignment correction' Polybush kit
SuperPro Dogbone bush kit front & rear
Relentless V3 Manifold
AET K04 hybrid turbo
Relentless DP
Modified straight through exhaust (resonator & bends delete)
Golf MK4 Aero wiper arms & blades (Front)
Sachs/Black Diamond Stage 1 clutch kit
New PAS pipes due to corrosion

I also completely drained all diffs, gearbox etc and re-filled with brand new genuine Audi oils.

As it stands, the car certainly feels alot faster than before but has currently developed another boost leak somewhere, thought to be the re-circ valve as all boost hoses appear to still be on tight. In order to get it running to it's full potential, the car will need to go back in for re-mapping as all the airflows etc will have changed massively with the PCV bypass and FMIC.

Anything else i can think of later on, i will edit and add accordingly. My brain is currently fried after uploading in excess of 200 photo's and doing this thread all in one shot haha

Thanks for looking. All feedback welcome (within reason).

Shaun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perplexer
How's the clutch? Since it was mentioned a while back I've been interested in the black diamond kit as its a good price considering its got Sachs parts in it.

​Car is looking fantastic Shaun. A lot of hard work and a lot of time has went into this project. Its good to see all the pics as you have done the work, and the finished car looks ace. :) x

How's the clutch? Since it was mentioned a while back I've been interested in the black diamond kit as its a good price considering its got Sachs parts in it.

I will be honest as say that the original clutch that I removed still had plenty of life left in it, however it was the DMF that has seen better days and certainly needed replacing.

The kit I bought is actually a genuine Sachs complete kit. The friction plate is then re-surfaced with carbon/kevlar material at Black Diamond. Again, i will be honest and say that the feel of the clutch is no heavier/lighter than the OEM Audi/LUK and seems to hold well with the increased power/torque from my mods but I won't really know 100% until the car has been re-mapped to stage 2 :)

What I will say is that the Sachs kit uses smaller pressure plate bolts (M7) as aposed to the LUK that uses M8. I had to source these from TPS using a MK4 Golf GT TDI as the car to order them as the M7 bolts are used in the diesel 02M boxes.

I managed to get this kit for £400 posted which was only a £50 more than a standard LUK kit from ECP. Would be silly not to upgrade now and wait for the standard kit to go bang.....

Hope this helps?

​Car is looking fantastic Shaun. A lot of hard work and a lot of time has went into this project. Its good to see all the pics as you have done the work, and the finished car looks ace. :) x

Thanks Sandra.

Are you going to AITP?

good itemized thread shaun, nice to see all the time and effort you have put into it! i will have a good look round at the next meet and you will have to take me for a blast in it! ;)

good itemized thread shaun, nice to see all the time and effort you have put into it! i will have a good look round at the next meet and you will have to take me for a blast in it! ;)

I'm certain there is stuff that I have missed off the list, more will be added as and when I remember what they are haha. There is still a few little bits to tweak here and there but the main work has been done now and the car certainly feels alot better.

I will be going back to GR Performance for a dyno before i get it re-mapped and then after aswell so i can get readings from the same dyno before/mid/after which will hopefully show good gains throughout. Will let you know when i'm going back down there for the next run....

Shaun.

Very impressed with what youve done matey, really brought the old dog upto standards.

Did you buy a full oil pump kit? If so wheres it from?

Reactions: ShaunS3
Let me know when you going to the dyno mate as i want to see mines putting out and i missed the last one, ive also raised the car up so should be able to get on haha.

Very impressed with what youve done matey, really brought the old dog upto standards.

Did you buy a full oil pump kit? If so wheres it from?

Let me know when you going to the dyno mate as i want to see mines putting out and i missed the last one, ive also raised the car up so should be able to get on haha.

Thanks mate.

Oil Pump and Pick-up pipe were both genuine Audi and sourced from my local TPS dealer.

I will be going again once i've found the mysterious boost leak, will drop you a line. Unsure if i will open it up to the forum meets again at this time but we will see...

that looked pricey.... :) Can only imagine how much better the car feels now though

that looked pricey.... :) Can only imagine how much better the car feels now though

I daren't even look at all my invoices :/

tbf, i actually managed to negotiate some substantial discounts on most stuff, so even though it was pricey....it worked out less than half of what i should have paid for parts alone.

Yeah, she feels like a totally different car now :)

looks crap lol....nah alot of work gone into this shaun like it mate...

Looking good Shaun nice to see her back on the road!

So.... it's been that long since i last posted in my thread, i almost forgot i had created it lol.

Since my last posts, i have mainly been maintaining/fixing rather than modding, with the exception of some considerable modifications which totally transform the car.....

Reactions: [Dave B]
Trackslag Charge Pipe

20140621_143603_zps80afbd61.jpg

20140621_143621_zps2bd2903a.jpg

20140621_165522_zpsaf9ca74e.jpg

Reactions: epox and [Dave B]