ShaunS3's EPIC Build Thread

So.... As the car is now officially off-road for some EPIC custom work, i now need to make sure i can stop it effectively.

Here are my Brembo 323mm GT Junior Brakes that are going to be sent away to be completely overhauled and returned to original Brembo red.

As you will see from the pics, they are in desperate need of refurb. I will upload more pics of these throughout the process so you can see the transformation...

10352951_863306857037604_3815278390753126486_n_zpsf2730c95.jpg

20150117_151252_zpszhuit11r.jpg

20150117_151214_zpsh81ndj1x.jpg

20150117_151138_zpsb2mk9qkl.jpg

20150117_151130_zpsarop776q.jpg

20150117_151119_zpsfl4of4ug.jpg

20150117_151112_zpsixzsxhek.jpg

Reactions: mark_S3
Credit due to Shaun for turning this from a shy but slow looking S3 into what will be a stunning but quick looking one.
Wheels are definitely a hit with most people.
But overall you have done things the right way and taken it beyond.
Btw... It's a pleasure to have worked on this car whether it's oily hands to doing a enhancement and winter protection.....

Last edited:
Reactions: THQuattro, Lavis89, superkarl and 1 other person
Credit due to Shaun for turning this from a shy but slow looking S3 into what will be a stunning but quick looking one.
Wheels are definitely a hit with most people.
But overall you have done things the right way and taken it beyond.
Btw... It's a pleasure to have worked on this car whether it's oily hands to doing a enhancement and winter protection.....

Thanks Mark.

This will sound mad....but if I had to choose my favourite mod, it would have to be cruise control. But this is very closely followed by the wheels...

As you will know very well, I have a certain vision for the car and go through a series of different ideas before coming to my final decisions and when it goes from an image in my head into reality the satisfaction is priceless. So, in a way you could say my ideas go through an engineering design/scrutiny and i would like to think that my success rate at getting it right is quite good.

There is no better satisfaction than receiving praise/feedback from other members/enthusiasts that see your vision in reality and admire what you have done so thank you for your feedback.

Working on the car as you know is always a good crack and long may it continue! :)

looking very clean! makes me slightly jealous!

how do you rate the coilovers? tempted to part in my Witec's now theyre a few years old!

Reactions: ShaunS3
looking very clean! makes me slightly jealous!

how do you rate the coilovers? tempted to part in my Witec's now theyre a few years old!
Thank you.

I love them tbh....totally transformed the car.

Thank you.

I love them tbh....totally transformed the car.

what sort of price are they? I know they're far from cheap! pm me if you prefer!

i could do with a full detail on mine after winter! yours looks so clean! need to sort a few mechanical things first!

Woop!

Brembo's currently being remanufactured as we speak and car is in the workshop where the magic happens :)

Pics will follow soon...keep the eye peeled....

Shaun.

Reactions: mark_S3
What pads you going for Shaun?

Or is that a secret too :laugh:

:racer:

Car looks proper smart on those rims. Really like it!

What pads you going for Shaun?

Or is that a secret too

:racer:

Car looks proper smart on those rims. Really like it!

Thanks for the positive comments :)

My planned pads and discs were goimg to be Black Diamond 6 groove discs again with either Brembo or ferrodo ds300 pads...unsure yet. Might just stick some pagids on to get used to extra braking power then put performance on later in the year in preparation for a ring trip.

Woop!

Things just got a whole load more exciting....

Brakes are almost finished being re-manufactured and my custom exhaust manifold is nearing completion :)

Mega excited.

Just found and read this thread. Very impressed. Not jealous at all lol.

Just found and read this thread. Very impressed. Not jealous at all lol.

Don't feel jealous. It hasn't happened magically overnight.

Passion and daring to be different is what keeps me interested and drives me forward with my car. Daring to be different is something i have always believed in and is reflected in the mods i have planned - total one off :)

Shaun.

Reactions: A3-Lee and hendrix1963
Skip the pagid pads. I killed mine in 94 miles, one pad failing completely!

Pads and discs ordered....

EBC Ultimax discs
Ferrodo DS2500 pads

:)

Reactions: A3LeighAUM
Pads and discs ordered....

EBC Ultimax discs
Ferrodo DS2500 pads

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sob::sob::sob:

Don't do it! This car deserves better.

Reactions: S3Alex and mark_S3
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick.... With the speed Shaun drives at, he doesn't need brake pads... Hahaha

Ooo does this mean I'm due a brake upgrade soon ???

are the BBS wheels 5x100 or are they fitted with adapters

Define what is better?

Define what is better?

Hmmmmmmmmmm,

Blocks of cheese.

Worn out soles from your slippers.

The hopes and dreams of a thousand children.

All would be better suited to slowing an s3.

Pretty much anything but the tangible evil that is the DS2500.

I realise I'm on my own here, but I really do hate them. Lots. From experience, by internet hearsay.

The worst bit is, anywhere that sells 2500's will also sell 3000's, which are so much further advanced than the 20% increase in model number would suggest, and usually only a few quid more.

I've said my bit. Sorry to **** on your chips :laugh:

Reactions: daz-20vt
Hmmmmmmmmmm,

Blocks of cheese.

I realise I'm on my own here, but I really do hate them. Lots. From experience, by internet hearsay.

The worst bit is, anywhere that sells 2500's will also sell 3000's, which are so much further advanced than the 20% increase in model number would suggest, and usually only a few quid more.

Do you have any idea where the DS Performance pads fit in to their product lineup?

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/audi/s38l/ferodo-ds-performance-front-brake-pads-s3-8l-1-8t-08-98

I have these and they are amazing. Take a little to warm up but after that I haven't managed to get them to fade (haven't tracked the car yet just done as much braking as I could on a country road).

thats the real test though.
consistant hard braking compared to one or two hard stops

the bite from the ds3000 is also much better
i have them on mine and the braking is insane

For the driving i will be doing 95% of the time, DS2500 should be well within limits.

I will probably swap over to DS3000 when its time to go to nurburgring later this year but for day to day commuting to and from work with the occasional blast, i think DS2500 meets requirements.

thats the real test though.
consistant hard braking compared to one or two hard stops

the bite from the ds3000 is also much better
i have them on mine and the braking is insane

I accelerated to 140km/hr and braked to 50km/hr 8 times and then I had enough. The brakes were just as good at the end as they were at the beginning. I know on a track they would be used a lot more but I was happy with the DS Performance pads, hence why I was asking if anyone knew where they fit in, or if its just another name for one of the 2500 or 3000 pads

Hmmmmmmmmmm,

Blocks of cheese.

Is this only for track use, or valid for mildly spirited road use as well? IIRC, DS2500s were more suited to the latter than 3000s... enlighten me!

the ds is different
there was a thread about it somewhere but i believe they are quite new so not many reviews or opinions
ive never used the ds2500 so cant compare other than what prawn said.
but i trust his opinion entirely
road car ds2500 may work well
no idea
just saying the 3000s work
very well!

It's personal opinion of course, but hate the ****** things with a passion.

They were OK for road use back in the day when I ran them on 312's on the lighter A3, but died instantly on my first use on track in about 5 minutes.

I've had other brake setups since, and 'come into' DS2500's on one of two occasions and thought I'd give them a try, and every time my original thoughts have been backed up.

I also drove many road miles in Jardos S3 with DS2500's fitted to LCR brembos, and thought they were pretty shocking as a road pad on that too.

They don't work as well as OE from cold at all. They need warming up for sure before they inspire any confidence.

They don't work when hot either. They go through a very brief period of working OK, then fall off a cliff in a big way.

From stone cold, DS3000's offer FAR more bite (more than OE from my findings), and also just get better and better with some heat and WILL not overheat and fade.

The only downside to DS3000's, from my experience, is that disc life is reduced, but given how cheap 323mm discs are I don't think this should be a consideration for anything but high mileage daily drives. If that's your thing, then you need OE pads, not 2500's.

As I'm sure you can tell I feel quite strongly about this :laugh: