Shark Fin > RNS-E

adi3390

Reaction score
Morning All,

I've searched but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I've a 57 plate S3, with Bluetooth and Phone Prep (Cradle Dock in the Arm rest) and therefore Shark Fin already

So I'm assuming I've the telephone stuffs already, but not GPS...

So question is, can I buy a cable to 'add in' GPS to the existing 'fin or is it a new Shark fin with the cable ?

And then, where is it routed to... is it a simple case of routing to the boot area? or is it up to the front direct to rns-e ?

Also if NHN sees this, sent an email to your website for VCDS/ PM'd on here also

Cheers,
Adam.

You need to remove the rear trim to see under the fin to see which version is fitted.

I'll check PM's in a little while mate.

You can buy a gps receiver from ebay for less than £10, and that sits on the shelf behind the dash clocks.Saves running it to the roof aerial

Cheers Nigel, will take a look tonight and confirm which it has.

Coming to that conclusion Lee... probs a lot easier, not sure even if the shark fin will give any better reception for the effort

My pics up the satellites fine behind the clocks, and never loses lock

The puck is fine for GPS, but fit above glovebox to the right of passenger side vent with double sided good tape, 3 layers as its a curved dash.

Reactions: LEE69
Managed to take a look in the boot.

Looks like im telephone only. Unless the left most means I have the cable already? Was expecting a blue cable...

Gps above the glovebox it is.

Looking fwd to your reply NHN, ta.

Cheers,
Adam

Urrmmm, that's not the right place to look, you need to check right under the sharkfin.

I did a similar thing with a previous A3, although I retrofitted the shark fin from scratch
The shark fin gps cable is rather short and terminates around the passenger rear C pillar iirc. You then have an extension cable that runs right up to the RNSE.
I was regularly seeing 5 satellites with the puck and 8 through the shark fin.
I'm just a little ocd in that respect, I like to keep things as oem as possible

Assumed it was the right place, took the rear light out and was just headliner reinforcment.

So took the side off in the boot, saw that and thought it was it.

What should I be taking out/off? Literally the rear trim quater, above what I took out earlier?

Im a bit the same Ju, my skill is what lets me down a bit though.

Cheers
Adam.

You won't have the GPS in there so don't fret.
Either go with the puck which will work fine or collect the parts and change the fin.
I think I still have a gps/telephone fin in the garage, I'll have a look and take a picture of it next time I go in if I can find it

Thanks Ju, but will be going with the puck + kufatec stuff i think. Seems easiest.

I did get the AMI stuffs with my ebay special.... doesnt look like it has its housing though, is there a part number for the black plastic part ?

NHN, are you still selling the VCDS cable/ software? Still had no reply, cheers.